Lands of Lore II on Windows 7 / 64-bit, broken

I can't say I'm surprised about nvidia and they're drivers, this is hardly the first time they've completely botched things with a new chipset and the way they implement things with they're drivers. I don't know what beta drivers your talking about though, do you have a link or beta version #? Might be curious to try, although I have a feeling that whatever they changed starting with the G80's is now done and they've washed their hands of it.

Funny you mention it but I still have no problems with infinity engine games (except maybe planescape torment, my memory is a bit fuzzy right now - I do remember that I did eventually get it to work just fine) on the new gen of cards. As for D3D Windower, I can not get the program to work. Set up everything and when I try to start the game I get nothing…strange.

I should also probably mention that I had to have lolg95.exe running in compatibility mode for win 98/me in Windows 7 or it just would not work. Also, just fyi Planescape Torment is available and 'supposedly' updated for win xp/vista/7 on gog.com.

Fixed.

Not to bump this thread, but I registered here to say that I managed to get LOL:G working on my new laptop, which has Windows 7. It wouldn't install through Windows 7, even INSTALL95.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 95 would only install the game up to 94%. Here's what you do -

1. Go to C:\, delete the Westwood folder.
2. Open DosBox.
3. Mount the ISO image of Disc 1 (I actually mounted drive D as a CDRom)
4. BEFORE YOU RUN Install.exe - adjust the size of Drive C that DosBox will recognize. This is what keeps messing people up, even WITH DosBox. The command I used was "mount c C:\ -size 50000" or something like that.
5. Now type "D:" to select the D drive, and run Install.exe. Or Setup.exe. I forget which one, it's in one of the subdirectories too, so you may have to remount D:\ while specifying one of those inner directories.
6. It'll bring up a bround framed EULA, hit enter - NORMALLY THIS IS WHERE IT WOULD CRASH. However - since we told DosBox to allocate and utilize more memory through the -size command, it should bring up the actual Setup. It'll first bring up the "Sound test", click Detect sound, etc. next -
7. By default the cache available says 50000, whereas 82000 (I think) is what is needed. Readjust it to 83000.
8. Hit next, let Setup do it's thing. It won't get hung up at 93%, it won't crash, etc. It'll install fully.
9. After finishing installation, exit DosBox, tweak the options, etc. At the bottom of options under [autoexec], type the below -

mount d D:\ -t cdrom
mount c C:\westwood\lolg
c:
lolg

10. Regardless of the game coming up in either fullscreen or windowed mode, it should come up - full detail - everything. Enjoy!!

You still have to use DosBox to play, however - at least we won't need a virtual machine! :D

Actually I believe the correct syntax for mounting the harddrive should be something like:

mount C C:\oldgames -freesize 600

The numer after "freesize" is simply the size, in MB, that you would like your virtual Dos to see as free space. Maybe your way of doing it works as well...

By chance I actually just installed LoL2 yesterday using DosBox, and it installs and plays just fine :)

Also, just fyi Planescape Torment is available and 'supposedly' updated for win xp/vista/7 on gog.com.

Nobody has ever answered my query as to whether or not spell effects glitch out in that version. I'm betting you still need to mod the shit out of it. They don't really modify anything, you know, particularly for Windows-era games. I'd never give money to those crooked bastards. It doesn't help that a friend of mine recently did buy stuff from GOG and had his CC company flip out, stop the charge and call him, thinking his card had been stolen. No way. :/

Still, D3DWindower is the best for PS:T. And probably BG! I'm very fond of playing RPGs in windows though.

Can someone help me?
I really want to play LoLGoD but when I try to install the game an error message pops up about not being compatible with my 64-bit system. I looked up some things about emulators but I really don't understand what it is talking about. I guess what I'm asking is can someone give me a step by step, detailed guide to what I need to do in order to get this game running. Please and thank you.

I guess what I'm asking is can someone give me a step by step, detailed guide to what I need to do in order to get this game running.

I do not have the time at the moment, but the emulator to run DOS games in is DOSBox.
Arcanoix guide 5 posts above yours give you the basics.

To understand how DOS or DOSBox works, check the DOSBox website.

That said; I initiated this thread after testing the game in Win7 64-bit, DOSBox, VMWare and Virtual PC. That's four different environments, and I still got the black-boxes issue described in the first post, which seems to be a nvidia problem.

I do not have the time at the moment, but the emulator to run DOS games in is DOSBox.
Arcanoix guide 5 posts above yours give you the basics.

To understand how DOS or DOSBox works, check the DOSBox website.

That said; I initiated this thread after testing the game in Win7 64-bit, DOSBox, VMWare and Virtual PC. That's four different environments, and I still got the black-boxes issue described in the first post, which seems to be a nvidia problem.
I followed his instructions and I made it to the sound test window (whoo progress!). Then, I come to the next step and it says there isn't any memory in my C:\ drive. How do I change this?

Last edited:
I followed his instructions and I made it to the sound test window (whoo progress!). Then, I come to the next step and it says there isn't any memory in my C:\ drive. How do I change this?

In step four in Arcanoix guide he mentions "mount c C:\ -size 50000".

"mount c whatever"
… is a line that have to be placed within dosbox's config file (dosbox.conf). If you open dosbox.conf in notepad you will find this line somewhere below "[autoexec]".

Arcanoix have written "mount c C:\ whatever". C:\ here should be replaced with the name of the folder on your harddive that you wish to use for your DOSBox games. My line looks like; "MOUNT C S:\MS-DOS\games", so DOSBox will treat that folder on my harddrive as C: within the emulator.
Where you wish to place your installed DOS games on your harddrive is up to you, but I would suggest not using C:\

Now the last part is important. "mount c yourfolder -size 50000". The number here equals the number of megabytes that DOSBox will think your drive has on it. At number seven Arcanoix suggests you should use 82000 in cache. To fit that amount of cache you need to make DOSBox think your harddrive is larger than this cache. Try setting the size to 250000 instead. Just be sure you have that amount of data left on whatever partition you choose for your dosgames.

If this doesn't work, I do not know what to do to be honest.

my autoexec said:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
MOUNT C S:\MS-DOS\games
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
C:

I finally got it installed! Thank you for all the help!

Last edited:
Hi, I just wanted to tell you, that google leads to this thread, when you search for "Lands Of Lore 2 Windows 7".
The instructions, the already extracted patch, and the hint to kill explorer.exe did the job, and the game runs fine on my 64 bit Win7, thanks! :D
(No black boxes with hardware acceleration for ATI users, btw. However, there was a way to turn fiddle with the nvidia driver to get those boxes away. Google for Baldur's Gate gfx problems ;))

To help further searchers, maybe edit the first post, and just place all the instructions there? :)

In case anyone wants to know, LoL and Lol 2 are on sale at GOG Holiday sale atm. The installer works no errors and so far have tested LoL2 runs very well, including the movies in Win7 64 bit. :party2:

Back
Top Bottom