Final Fantasy VI - Doing an HD Remake Right

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Fortress of Doors gives their thoughts on doing an HD remake the right way, and they're specifically talking about the controversial new PC release of FFVI. Thanks, Caidh!

So Final Fantasy VI -- a beloved classic that contends with Final Fantasy VII for the title of best Final Fantasy game of all time -- is releasing on Steam this Wednesday. This game is the crown jewel of the SNES era of JRPG's and deserves the utmost care and respect.

Instead, Square Enix bungled it and everybody is complaining about the art style.

The problem with the Final Fantasy VI remake has much more to do with graphics programming than art style.
More information.

More information.

The problem with the Final Fantasy VI remake has much more to do with graphics programming than art style.
Couldn't have said it any better then that. It's also the problem with the last three ports Square released on Steam, as they used the android versions to port on the PC.

ffvi_whynot-1.png

Now the games are still good after thirty years though, it's just the art that's wrong. :)

Art? Wrong? 😂 in all seriousness I think it is beautiful. Simple and effective. ☺

I really think the blurry graphics are terrible...

And I think the article (thanks for the credit Aubrielle!), as well as the image Couch posted from it does better justice explaining why than I could.

I'm glad you enjoy it Fluent, as I am for all those who have done so. I doubt that you would have liked it less if they didn't cheap out though - but it would have had a great impact on others. In general though, I think it is another sign that Square is cheaping out on their mobile development (and doubly so since the PC version is just a port). I would have considered buying it (out of nostalgia if nothing else) but I won't pay money for something like this so I'll pass.

Compare this to Trails in the Sky (or even some RPGMaker games...) and there really is no comparison. I'm not saying I want all Square's ports/remakes to be on the scale that they are doing with the new Final Fantasy 7, but this was just lazy.

I think this one sums it up perfectly. :)

CVzsHabU4AAMNXN.jpg

That's not to say it's a bad game or anything. I'll still buy it because I have a lot of nostalgia for FFVI from playing it as a kid. I'm just disappointed they didn't put more effort into the PC port.

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. xD

I think this one sums it up perfectly. :)

CVzsHabU4AAMNXN.jpg

That's not to say it's a bad game or anything. I'll still buy it because I have a lot of nostalgia for FFVI from playing it as a kid. I'm just disappointed they didn't put more effort into the PC port.

Haha ... Love that shot. And agree ... Which is why I'll happily play my existing versions (GBA and iOS/Android) and not touch the PC version.

I think if you guys actually play the game you will see it's a great version to get immersed in. :)

Back
Top Bottom