Slayer Shock - Eldrich Spiritual Sequel

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Slayer Shock - Eldritch Spiritual Sequel

PCGamesN reports on Slayer Shock which is an immersive sim set within vampire fiction from the indie devs who brought you Eldritch and Neon Struct.

Slayer Shock is described as a "role-playing shooter about hunting vampires in Nebraska". From your college coffee shop headquarters, you take on missions patrolling the streets, rescuing human captives and weakening the undead threat.

You're helped along by a team of vampire slayers who operate out of your base, the place where you can pick up new weapons and skills, as well as researching new ways to deal with the fanged threat.

Minor Key Games describe Slayer Shock as a spiritual successor to Eldrich, "in its generated worlds and its immersive simmy blend of stealth, combat, and player choices", though this one won't be a roguelike.

There have also been a bunch of technical advancements since Edlrich, including replacing its voxel world with a mesh-based one and rewriting the entire procedural generation pipeline. There's also been a bunch of work put into making sure the game feels like a campaign and it will track the persistent status of the player, your allies and your enemies.

The game has been in development since November 2014 and Minor Key are hoping to have it out by the end of this year. There's a bunch of fascinating insight over on the dev blog, and there's a really interesting personal developer blog about how professional wrestling influenced Slayer Shock's design.
More information.

Last edited:
I really enjoy Eldritch (not sure why the article is spelling it Eldrich) and will definitely be checking it out when it's done. The name is weird but whatever.

If anybody is interested in helping the dev get it greenlighted, you can do so here.

The name Slayer Shock comes from the fact that the (single!) developer worked on BioShock before he went indie. He even wrote a dev log entry about his name choice.

Personally I would have called the game MaxShrock or so. :p

The fact he worked on BioShock makes it worse. It's like he's asking them to write up a cease & desist. How can you work in AAA games development and be so obtuse?

Obtuse? What? I think he means it as an homage. I'm not content with the choice either (it doesn't roll nicely on the tongue), but at least he has his reasons and they are NOT to "cash in" (especially as he decided for the title before the SS1 Remaster was even announced).

And I won't believe there's any C&D in sight when there are several other games with "shock" in the name, like ShellShock by kChamp Games, Shock Tactics by Point Blank Games, (soon) AfterShock by Focus Studios… you get the idea :)

You may have noticed that in big companies decisions related to IP are left to lawyers, and lawyers usually do not recognize an "homage" to the company's IP.
I'm speaking about overly zealous behavior we've actually seen in the games industry, not simply speculating.

especially as he decided for the title before the SS1 Remaster was even announced.

How do we know that? I certainly never heard the name prior to this article. Are there any articles about it that predate the SS announcement?

*Edit* Ok, I see he has a Twitter account associated with it that goes back to October of last year. It's still a poor choice though imo. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom