Mount & Blade II - Now Available in Early Access

Well shucks, Chiens observations actually make me less inclined to buy this and jump in. I severely dislike if the PC is disproportionately powerful, and running away is half the fun. As is picking your fights and getting crushed if you annoy the wrong gang or lord. Not that I don't also enjoy being powerful, but if I start out that way where's the incentive to carry on?

I'm currently playing AoD where even the first fight is hard to get through if you don't know what you're doing, and you lose most fights miserably if you try to use the option of brute force. THAT's fun.

Realistic is doable. You just have to pick your fights; it's a lot like Gothic that way. One of the reasons I like it.

Mods already, and it is in alpha? That was fast. I am going to stop playing single player and what until its final version comes out.

Mods as in cheats to circumvent intended gameplay elements. That never takes long because it's just editing values. A game wants you to pick between skills? Never fear, a mod will arise so you can do everything. A game wants you to earn money to buy things? Don't worry, a mod will increase rewards, or just dump money on you at the start.

There should be a different word for these things than mods.

When playing M&B:W, one character (the Queen Mathide, daughter to a trader) was pushed to the 10 000 ingame day limit. This was done with the purpose of accessing the feasibility of building a character over a life time (while M&B missed elements like building a family etc)

It held. There was potential.

Bannerlord, while it adds elements to extend a run, collapses too fast. The economy is troublesome, money no longer means anything too fast. That emulates a growth economy, without any scheme of debt.

I severely dislike if the PC is disproportionately powerful, and running away is half the fun. As is picking your fights and getting crushed if you annoy the wrong gang or lord. Not that I don't also enjoy being powerful, but if I start out that way where's the incentive to carry on?

Powerful avatars were present in M&B. It seems that Bannerlord pushes even more.

Now it requires to take advantage of the power of an avatar.

On smaller battles, it takes to bait the enemy troops, to thinnen them then redirect them to the core of the troops so they finish the job. Charging head along would mean defeat.
And bandits, looters are not raiders (as they were not in M&B)

On larger battles, it takes to position troops, use the terrain etc Charging head along would probably mean being crushed.

A remark on this: in M&B, the AI was able to do the same in a defensive manner, it could take the high ground, stack their units and wait until the player comes. Baiting them out of position by riding in front of their line was not sufficient.

All in all, it seems they have loosened up things compared to M&B/W.

Chasing small enemy groups: compared to M&B, it seems that it is made loosier.
Catching up with a 15 enemy group when riding a 100/150 army seems easier.
Making the auto resolve a safer way.

In M&B/W, when intending to clear an area from bandits influence, hunting from prisoners or so, the speed balance encourages to pick a smaller army so to catch up. Making playing the battle hands on a better solution.

Anyone else notice that the 1 vs. 1 fighting "AI" is a bit broken? If you start running tight circles around your targets, they more or less stop hitting you.

With that and being careful you could even win the tournaments early on (despite the unreal advantage that some of the other contestants get with their armor).

Luckily, this doesn't affect the rest of the game that much, since 1 on 1 fights are pretty rare in open battle.

Anyone else notice that the 1 vs. 1 fighting "AI" is a bit broken? If you start running tight circles around your targets, they more or less stop hitting you.

With that and being careful you could even win the tournaments early on (despite the unreal advantage that some of the other contestants get with their armor).

Luckily, this doesn't affect the rest of the game that much, since 1 on 1 fights are pretty rare in open battle.
Yup, it's a thing haha.

I don't play tournaments much though.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mods as in cheats to circumvent intended gameplay elements. That never takes long because it's just editing values. A game wants you to pick between skills? Never fear, a mod will arise so you can do everything. A game wants you to earn money to buy things? Don't worry, a mod will increase rewards, or just dump money on you at the start.

There should be a different word for these things than mods.

The more it advances, the more it appears TW has listened to their customers.

People wishing for mods to remove unliked features is nothing new, Bethesda's Skyrim is a prime example.

Now a product that is released by devs as already modding out unliked features from previous versions is something new.

At the moment, Bannerlord feels like Warband with extensive mods to remove unwished features. They have improved much more on functionalities to remove core warband gameplay features than they have built on those core features.

Those early mods already available to remove unwished features from Bannerlord should send a message.

At the moment, Bannerlord feels like Warband with extensive mods to remove unwished features.

Which are those?

Are you talking about features that are confirmed to be missing, or are you talking about features that may still be added during further development?

That is, are they really removed or just not added /debugged yet?

Which are those?

Are you talking about features that are confirmed to be missing, or are you talking about features that may still be added during further development?

That is, are they really removed or just not added /debugged yet?
Do you ever get a straight answer?

Please, anyone, talk about a game where he can shift to UGOIGO or whatever.
It should be forbidden to talk that much of a game without even playing it.

Chien recently made his most liked post on the watch ever, so I am hopeful. ;)
People to monitor this kind of stuff. Impressive.

Do you ever get a straight answer?

The entitlement to get. There are people with things in store and people who do not have things in store despite their claims.
Those ones are often the ones who feel entitled to get answers when they provide none when they are asked.

Which are those?

M&B/W were not perfect(hence the need for a 2, 3, 4). They have certain features. Bannerlord is M&B2 so the question is to know how it deals with certain features.

One feature: tracking of NPCs which relies on diffuse information. One consequence for example is that the rehiring of a companion after their dismissal is not only a financial matter but also a localization matter as NPCs must be found again.

That is one feature. Now devs have clearly put efforts into providing players with means to circumvent the feature as they provide extensive means to track down directly NPCs. That is how this feature is modded out.

That is the answer.

Now time for enlightenment: Bannerlord is M&B2, neither M&B nor M&B/W were perfect, the question is to know how Bannerlord builds on this feature, what it does add.

What is your endless rant about actually? It just shows how badly you understand those games.

This game is a platform. All their games have always been 'real' PC games in this sense.
You buy them, you play a bit with them to learn the ropes and you get hundreds of different mods to tailor them as you want.
It's a potential of hundreds hours of play because what they have built is good graphics, an engine which can cope with nearly a thousand of highly detailed people and so on and so on.
And yeah despise what I read here, it can, I never any issue with huge battles.
Everything can be modded, maps, rules, gameplay, graphics, etc..

People to monitor this kind of stuff. Impressive.

You are a fairly unique poster, so I take notice. :)

One feature: tracking of NPCs which relies on diffuse information. One consequence for example is that the rehiring of a companion after their dismissal is not only a financial matter but also a localization matter as NPCs must be found again.

That is one feature. Now devs have clearly put efforts into providing players with means to circumvent the feature as they provide extensive means to track down directly NPCs. That is how this feature is modded out.

That is the answer.

Yep, true. This was extremely simplified in Bannerlord.

Although, I think TW forced themselves into that decision. Their current "main quest" would otherwise have to be redesigned, since it requires you to track down a whole bunch of different people.

Although, I think TW forced themselves into that decision. Their current "main quest" would otherwise have to be redesigned, since it requires you to track down a whole bunch of different people.
To help Chien, there's a mod to remove the main quest.

To help Chien, there's a mod to remove the main quest.

Hard to see how help is required. On the other hand, the point still stands: people think they are entitled, they are owed where as they think others are not.
A claim was made about straight answers. Once again, there are people with things in store and those who do not.

A question was made, despite passing time, no answer, not even an unstraight answer.

There are other answers in store but first to move to those ones, an answer to the question is required. Piling on debt is not a solution.

Which means that the question was noticed.
The request was not about a stamp of approval, disapproval. A question was made, an answer is excepted. Time was taken to provide one answer. So in return, one answer is required.

When it is done, other answers might be provided. On the same ground, one answer for one answer.

M&B couples off hand and on hand (so called in fact) resolutions.

Now how Bannerlord builds on that and how it involves players.

Discrepancies between the result of off hand/on hand resolutions exist.

One benefit of the overpowered avatar is involvement in any disavantaging battle: in order to offset a disadvantage, players must choose the on hand resolution, they must play the battle (even though in a limited way)
Players want to offset a 6 vs 15 battle difference, or a 200 to 300 battle difference, on hand is required, off hand means being battered.

Advantageous encounters involves players by making on hand more efficient at little cost. 150 vs 50, off hand resolution means losing high tiers units. So called on hand approach means fewer losses. So called on hand because in fact, it takes to let the battle unfold, players might take their hands off the keyboard, sip on a beer, watch a stream, use a phone or whatever.

The issue already existed in M&B, Bannerlord probably did not work it out in better gameplaywise.

For all out wars, devs aimed at a slow building structure: skirmishes first while each side muster troops to assemble a host, once done, a massive battle between the two hosts, the victor can lay siege while the defeated side musters forces from uncalled lords to lift the siege.

The structure is unachieved, so instead, there is a siege race, each side trying to conquer more places than the other.

As there is nothing to force a scaling, meaning coercion to disavantageous or even battles, looking for advantageous battles is the way. With its counterpart of so called on hand resolutions.

Back
Top Bottom