Quicksave Hotkey? What's considered as standard?

What do you consider as Standard Quicksave Button today?

• Total voters

Kordanor

Wastelander
Hey there!

Just recently I played the Hard West 2 Playtest Demo and mentioned their weird choice of having F8 as Quicksave button, and I switched it to F5, which I consider as standard.
A viewer of my LP then mentioned that he considers F6 as the standard.

I looked into it a bit and checked which games have been using what and what were the first games which were using a quicksave button. Obviously history does not mean, that it's the current standard.

So I want to use this poll for two things:
1. I want to ask you what you consider as the Standard Quicksave Button right now? And with that I don't mean what you usually use (like if you always set the quicksave button to middle mousebutton or whatnot) but what you think is usually set as quicksave in standard keymaps.

2. I want to see if you can think of any "old games" using quicksave to see who might have established the one or other standard.

Some games I checked:

F5:
Morrowwind (1998)
Arx Fatalis (2002)
Crysis (2007)

F6:
Quake 2 (1997)
Half Life (1998)
Unreal Gold (1998)

Something Else:
Wizardry 8
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Jedi Knight (1997)

Noteworthy games without Quicksave:
Ultima Underworld
Terminator: Future Shock

I"m aware of the quick-save options sometimes available, yet never use them myself. I think it comes from playing older games so much.

I'm a big fan of the F5 and F9 combo for save/load. I hate accidently pushing load when I meant to save.

Always F6 and F9 in my games that I have played. (quick save and quick load)

Always F6 and F9 in my games that I have played. (quick save and quick load)

Interesting. From what I have read it is mostly "source" engine games that use F6. I actually don't ever recall playing a game that uses F6 - although possibly it could be a localisation thing? I am one of the few people who have never played Half-life!

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/8dlzzy/which_is_the_more_common_quick_save_hotkey_f5_or/

edit: I just realised Fallout 2 uses F6. I rarely used quicksave in that game and that is probably why I don't remember it. Quite possibly plenty of other games I have played also used F6 - I just never tried it I guess?

F5 to save and F9 to load. That seems the most common to me, and it's what I'm the most accustomed to.

It's not a big deal to me though if it's something else as long as the save/load keys aren't right next to each other.

I think Spiderweb games might be something a little different. It's F3 in Avadon 3, but I'm sure it's F9 or F10 or something in some others of his.

But going through the others I have installed, mostly F5. Even Elex II is F5.
The only game I've touched recently with F6 is Dusk.

Interesting. From what I have read it is mostly "source" engine games that use F6. I actually don't ever recall playing a game that uses F6 - although possibly it could be a localisation thing? I am one of the few people who have never played Half-life!

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/8dlzzy/which_is_the_more_common_quick_save_hotkey_f5_or/

edit: I just realised Fallout 2 uses F6. I rarely used quicksave in that game and that is probably why I don't remember it. Quite possibly plenty of other games I have played also used F6 - I just never tried it I guess?

Its possible I just am not remembering correctly, because I also am not a quick saver most of the time. I remember games when I did use it it was usually F6, but yea, my normal habit is to do full saves just because that is what my preference is most of the time. Maybe there have been a lot of games where it was F5 that I played but I just never bothered to use quick save in them, its possible.

F5 to save. If it isn't F5, I would rather have control-S than another function key.

I don't quickload. If the key to do it is anywhere near anything important, I'll un-map the quckload to avoid accidentally hitting it.

I agree. For most games, it's F5.

Recently, I was playing BG1 and it took me a while getting used to pressing the Q key since I'm so used to the f5 standard.

'F5' on many games I know, though I don't care much, I left it as 'F8' for HW2. As long as it's a key we can easily hit without looking at the keyboard, it's fine.

The real standard is 'Q', since that's what Baldur's Gate was using. ;) (PS: I see I'm not the first saying so)

It varies, but I'm pretty sure F5 is the most common overall.

Certainly, it's the one I prefer - based mostly on the aggregate standard of the countless games I've played.

I'd like to have the same survey again for quick load.

F5 and F9 (save/load) from what I see.

Somewhere along the line, however, I reversed them for some reason. Now every time I play a game I make F5 load and F9 save. I think because its closer to how I position my hands on the keyboard, which is to the right side (I always have to remap QWASD as well to the arrow keys.

I run into trouble now on games that don't allow a remap like GameDec which is the standard F5/F9 save/load.

I often use Scroll Lock, because that's usually one of the few keys not used by any game.

Back
Top Bottom