Quit games and read instead

Since I obtained a Kindle about a year ago, I have bought nearly 150 new SF/Fantasy books by authors I had never seen, or read before and have enjoyed nearly all of them.

I game whenever I can, simply because I have so little time for it. I would say I can appreciate either gameplay or story, but of course the best is when you get both worlds.

I only read when I'm on vacation nowadays, but I do listen to alot of audio books. Since I can do other stuff at the same time (work out, clean, mow the lawn, drive etc.) they don't actually require me to invest more time, they only make otherwise boring chores more pleasant to perform. I'm currently going through The Wheel of Time, I'm at book 9 I believe.

I like audiobooks because I can turn off the lights and lay back and relax. Otherwise I might get eye strain and a sore neck or back from craning over the book.

A bad reader can ruin a good audiobook however.

I am starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to newer fantasy and scifi, and a lot of older stuff like Asimov and Heinlein are too dated for my taste and make me cringe when I read them, so I skip them.

I have the problem that when I go through bookshops I never see the kind of Fantasy I'd like to read … My only possible solution is to write that myself … Which I do or at least try to do … But I'm not at all an professional ...

I see plenty of stuff I like... but have read already.

I like audiobooks because I can turn off the lights and lay back and relax. Otherwise I might get eye strain and a sore neck or back from craning over the book.

A bad reader can ruin a good audiobook however.

I have a big problem with audiobooks, they put me to sleep in minutes (my reading time is on my bed at night so maybe that's part of the problem).

The first book in "The Wheel of Time" saga, published in 1990, has been read at least six or seven times. I start again from the beginning when a new book is released.
There are 14 books in that series, plus the New Spring prequel! You've re-read it 13 times!?

Re-reading the entire series is on my retirement "bucket" list.

As for the topic title. I read some, I play more. Used to be the other way around but games have gotten really good!

There are 14 books in that series, plus the New Spring prequel! You've re-read it 13 times!?

As for the topic title. I read some, I play more. Used to be the other way around but games have gotten really good!

No. It's only 6 or 7 times because I did not buy the new books every time they were published. So I would buy two or three "new" (to me) books at a time. Otherwise I would be reading it every two years which is possible but then you add the other books on to the list I would be only reading WoT. Throw in that the books are nearly 800 pages long and it almost would definitely feel impossible.

I have been retired for the last 7 years so easier for me to do.

I have a big problem with audiobooks, they put me to sleep in minutes (my reading time is on my bed at night so maybe that's part of the problem).

We (me plus wife) bought some audio books many, many years ago. Like you we found that they were sleep inducing. I did notice that we could get to the 40-ish minute mark before I dropped off.

You are probably right about the bed thing but we also found that sitting in a nice cosy chair had the same impact.

Strangely, or perhaps not, full radio dramas didn't have the same impact. Maybe listening to a single voice for long periods of time is too relaxing.

No. It's only 6 or 7 times because I did not buy the new books every time they were published. So I would buy two or three "new" (to me) books at a time. Otherwise I would be reading it every two years which is possible but then you add the other books on to the list I would be only reading WoT. Throw in that the books are nearly 800 pages long and it almost would definitely feel impossible.

I have been retired for the last 7 years so easier for me to do.

I started out when 4 or 5 books were available I think, and did something similar, but only later on. What I found interesting is that the supposed "slow progress" books 8-10 or so get criticized for is nonense during a re-reading, where you'd think it was the other way around. The last time I re-read it was prior to the release of the final book, and I thought it was fantastic all the way through.

My only gripe is that Sanderson seemingly ran out of notes towards the end (Jordan prepared quite a bit before dying). It was a good ending, but a bit too abrupt and the numbers were off (army sizes and such).

Anyway, I love that series.

Wow, thanks Zloth, I didn't know about New Spring, In my opinion it is the best series ever written…. so how could I have missed that ? ( New book added on top of my reading list )

I started out when 4 or 5 books were available I think, and did something similar, but only later on. What I found interesting is that the supposed "slow progress" books 8-10 or so get criticized for is nonense during a re-reading, where you'd think it was the other way around. The last time I re-read it was prior to the release of the final book, and I thought it was fantastic all the way through.

My only gripe is that Sanderson seemingly ran out of notes towards the end (Jordan prepared quite a bit before dying). It was a good ending, but a bit too abrupt and the numbers were off (army sizes and such).

Anyway, I love that series.

Yes, it is great that the series could be ended at all, but it is a real pity that Jordan did not get to finish it! He really deserved to do that after such a fantastic work!

Books have followed my gaming trend: I probably haven't bought a physical book in 3 years. I just load the kindle app on my iphone, kindle, work pc and home pc and read from there. This way I can make the font as big as I like, since I too have horrible eyesight. I'm severely near-sighted and also have floaters that make parts of my vision like looking through clouds or fog. Also, I can move from device to device as needed.

I game probably 5 times as much as I read. So 30-40 hours/week gaming and about 8 hours reading. If I have a chunk of time at home, I always game. I don't really care about story in games. I like non-melee systems. Loot, exploration, job roles, crafting, building, magic combat, etc. High fantasy is my forte in both books and gaming. I read about 80 books a year along with the gaming. Honestly, I wonder how I average 42.5 hours/week at work.

I have become terrible at reading books - I play games and watch TV series...I have to read technical stuff for work, but that's a chore. It's sad, I used to spend hours every week devouring books. he only time I read for leisure is when I'm on holiday or sitting at an airport or in a plane.

Books have followed my gaming trend: I probably haven't bought a physical book in 3 years. I just load the kindle app on my iphone, kindle, work pc and home pc and read from there. This way I can make the font as big as I like, since I too have horrible eyesight. I'm severely near-sighted and also have floaters that make parts of my vision like looking through clouds or fog. Also, I can move from device to device as needed.
Not to mention that when you travel, bringing 10 books with you is a whole lot more light and practical in a tablet or ebook reader.

Back
Top Bottom