Fallout 76 - Fallout 1st

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
You can pay something extra for Fallout 76 now:

GET ACCESS TO PRIVATE WORLDS, UNLIMITED STORAGE FOR SCRAP, AND MORE

Fallout 1st is a premium membership that enhances the Fallout 76 experience. Members receive access to Private Worlds, exclusive cosmetic items, 1650 Atoms per month, plus other bonuses. Become a member and reclaim the wasteland today!
More information.

That’s all we needed… :p

Last edited:
I haven't bought Fallout 76 yet and I think I will never get it.

The icing on the cake here is that, just days ago, this shell of a game's first "expansion" had been delayed until 2020. So what exactly are they offering here? Access to private servers which they had promised a year back?

Also, modding is *still* not in… why would it be when you can charge $100/year for simplistic QoL stuff that any modder could whip up in a day.

I love Fallout 76. The most enjoyment I ever got out of a game without spending money on it and without playing it.

Which just stresses what a brilliant decision it was to make this game an MMO. Any single player game would long have been forgotten and buried by more recent news.

I love Fallout 76. The most enjoyment I ever got out of a game without spending money on it and without playing it.

Which just stresses what a brilliant decision it was to make this game an MMO. Any single player game would long have been forgotten and buried by more recent news.

Haha, unless I'm misunderstanding you, what you're really saying is that it was a brilliant decision to make it a buggy piece of crap with predatory microtransactions. That's just the route that the deepest pocketed companies are headed in these days.

Also, modding is *still* not in… why would it be when you can charge $100/year for simplistic QoL stuff that any modder could whip up in a day.

How could there ever be mods in a game you play with dozens of other players? Are there mods for WOW, etc? I've never heard of such a thing.

Brilliant Cacheperl!
However its my second favorite.
So far I think Scam of the Avatar is my favorite in this category.

Brilliant Cacheperl!
However its my second favorite.
So far I think Scam of the Avatar is my favorite in this category.

I don't think about it much, but when I do it makes me sad. Ultima looms pretty large in my early gaming days. Ultima IV was one of the first RPGs I ever played, and Ultima VI and VII were groundbreaking. I had a book that came out around the time VI did, about the history of the series and that game in particular, and I read it multiple times. That series really went down the toilet.

If I get this for "free" in some bundle and if I can play it solo without other players, I might take a peek. Might…

I said it when the game released and I will say it again: I hope they crash so hard with this that TES VI has the chance to become the singleplayer game we want. Alas, the future of Beth games looks dark, when the new god is called shareholder value.

How could there ever be mods in a game you play with dozens of other players? Are there mods for WOW, etc? I've never heard of such a thing.
WoW modding (they're called "addons") is an absolutely massive scene, there's thousands of them and most hardcore players have at least 10-20 of them installed...if not 50.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons

Also there is "modding" in Fallout 76, but unlike addons on WOW, they are in the official shop (Creation Club?) and supposed to be paid for to "reward" devs.
Bethesda obviously takes a cut from it and that is the whole point.

They thought they would bring a passionate modding community like in Skyrim but that's being a conscious and deliberate Bethesda effort it failed miserably.

Well, I have the game, and I like it. It's not nearly as buggy as it was, actually works very well for me now. It's a strange beast and some of the designs are a bit puzzling, but all in all, I like it. But then, I also like FO3 and FO4, so you know where I stand.

Regarding the multiplayer aspects - it's not an MMO, not a typical one. It lacks several features that you find in for instance WOW. There are only up to 32 other players in the world, and most of the time I don't see any of them. And when I do, we usually just ignore each other. I have never been attacked by other players. It has to be said that I play in adventure mode worlds, where PVP is restricted. I guess most players interested in PVP choose PVP mode worlds.

Regarding microtransactions - all I can say is that they're less intrusive than in other games, and with very few exceptions, they're just cosmetic. No loot boxes. I've bought a couple of repair kits, but so far only for the in-game money (atoms) I get from playing.

This subscripion is strange. First of all, it's expensive, it costs significantly more than Elder Scrolls On Line which offers much more for subscribing. Seems a bit desperate. I may subscribe for a month to get a better impression of what it's all about, but I seriously doubt I will remain a subscriber.

pibbur who no doubt in some people's eyes is a moron.

Hey, it's perfectly fine to enjoy playing it. I also liked a few games in the past that didn't get the best reception around here, or in general.

Anyways, sorry, I have to point out another thing:

Your Private World is provided on-demand and will shut down if at least one Fallout 1st member is not present on it.
https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/fallout1st

So all members have to be present, all the time, right? :biggrin: (I know, I know. Nitpicking.)

Yes, I know that (and it's not nitpicking). But I'm not sure what it means. As it is now and has always been, whenever you log on to the game, you log on to another public world instance. Which in short means that for instance you won't see the same players as before you relogged (members of a team are handled differently). So, and this is one of the fatures different from MMOs, the FO76 world isn't completely persistent. What you have in storage chests, however, is intact and your camp is instantiated where you built it, unless that spot is now occupied, in which case you can place it wherever you want for free (can be convenient, moving your camp normally cost caps (NB! not atoms)).

AFAIK, the content of your storage on a private server is synchronised with your public self, so you won't loose anything.

So, I'm not sure of the practical consequences. But this is one of the things I would find more about if I subscribe for a month.

pibbur

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom