Risen Risen is fantastic (and tips for a new player?)

yes but the "old world/lands" in gothic 2 are mostly filler and if you have played the original gothic then its kind of a letdown to visit the old areas that were so vibrant in the first game with a mere fraction of its content. the old camp is still one of my all time favourite "cities" in any game.

Revisiting the Valley of Mines in Gothic 2 was one of my favorite parts of the game, and it certainly didn't seem like filler to me. I liked how the changes to that area reflected the recent events in that region. I would have been disappointed if they had just left it exactly the same as it was in Gothic.

If you were to start G2 (Gold of course, which includes the excellent NOTR expansion), I would recommend turning on the quick potions hotkey and changing the default control scheme

I'll probably go the gamepad route when I finally do get around to playing the Gothic games. Unfortunately it probably won't be any time soon, with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Risen 2 coming out this year. Once I'm done with those 2 I may check out the Gothics.

Regarding Risen, I just got my first set of proper armor (Sweet!!). It was well worth the wait, it's damn nice armor. I love that it took me that long just to get armor. Most games throw that stuff at you left and right. It's cool to see a different approach for once. That is just one of the reasons why Risen (and I guess all PB games?) is very unique. Armor as a status symbol indeed. Risen rocks.

Regarding Risen, I just got my first set of proper armor (Sweet!!). It was well worth the wait, it's damn nice armor. I love that it took me that long just to get armor. Most games throw that stuff at you left and right. It's cool to see a different approach for once. That is just one of the reasons why Risen (and I guess all PB games?) is very unique. Armor as a status symbol indeed. Risen rocks.

Yes, it's like that in all of their previous games. Although it needs to be said that it is part feature and part necessity ;) . They are a small team and they have always had to work with a rather tight budget so even if they would have wanted to, they could not have afforded to have much of a variety in armor types. So they have only about three (low/mid/high level) armor types per faction and the armor is always a full suit instead of individual set pieces.

This is one of the things that is going to change in Risen 2. In Risen 2 we'll be getting equipment slots like in most other RPGs and there will be a lot more variety in the pieces of armor that you can wear.

Well they really took a negative and made it a positive then. I can't remember playing an RPG that didn't throw armor and weapons at you left and right. It really is refreshing to play something so different, where I had to actually work to get a decent set of armor, and upgrading your weapon actually makes a big difference. And it makes sense with the setting. I mean I am stranded on this island with nothing to my name, so it made sense that I'd be running around in rags for awhile until I either had the coin to buy a set of armor or I made friends that could supply armor. I had to prove my worth to even get offered a set. I like that a lot. I hope Risen 2 keeps a similar progression of armor and weapons. Having more armor slots will be a great thing too. Can't wait for Risen 2!

Yeah, I love that aspect. It was fantastic in their previous games too.

I hear Risen 2 is changing to a more common system with armor parts and what not. A shame if they ruin the sense of achievement the previous games had regarding armor.

Well I'm late to this thread so my early tips here probably don't matter for you anymore but I'll just put them in anyway.

At the very beginning of the game, when you get to the hermit's hut, off to the right is a small 'gnoll' like structure at the top of a hill that overlooks a small farm. You can get on top of that gnoll and find yourself a nice bow and some arrows.

When you head down to the farm that the gnoll overlooks, you'll get a quest to kill some boars that are much too difficult to kill early on. But if you aggro those boars and run back to the farm and climb on the roof, you can shoot them with your bow.

I did this on my 2nd playthrough of Risen. I find it a lot of fun to kill things I can't melee early on. Not sure if anyone else does though.

One of my favorite features of all the Gothics is the ability to use the terrain to my advantage. You can climb up on stuff and snipe enemies that would otherwise be too difficult to kill face-to-face. This was especially true of the Orcs and Lizard Men in G2. I load up on arrows and bolts and let 'em have it from the safety of my perch. It worked beautifully in G3. Of course, Orc Shamans had magic to use, so you had to snuff them quickly or die.

Back
Top Bottom