Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Preview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Dualshockers has previewed Age of Wonders: Planetfall.

While Age of Wonders: Planetfall remains a strategy game once a battle between two units begins, the style of strategy game changes. Instead of being a Civilization style 4X game, things change to a turn based strategy game more akin to XCOM. This style worked well for Age of Empires III, and it maintains its luster in Age of Wonders: Planetfall, even if it may end making late game last for a long time. I had access to a variety of different units: regular soldiers, snipers, tank characters, etc. These all had distinct advantages and disadvantages, and can be used to resolve battle swiftly if the right strategies are used.

I was facing off against a giant mech that could easily take out smaller enemies. To avoid this, I made sure it stayed focused on my unit that fulfilled the role of the tank and hit it with everything my stronger units could do. It was satisfying to take down the giant mechanical beast, but several enemies still remained before I could progress. As just one part of one turn, this portion of Age of Wonders: Planetfall was quite lengthy consider my units were upgraded to fit the late game. Almost half of my demo time was spent in this section, and this was just one battle on one turn. While I don't mind that, it's obvious that Age of Wonders: Planetfall will be a gigantic timesink for anyone who picks it up. For a 4X strategy game, I can't even say that's a bad thing.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Xcom LOL. This a preview from some console peasants?

Xcom LOL. This a preview from some console peasants?

That was my thought as well. Why not compare to games that are probably closer in scope, like, I don't know, Age of Wonders? ;)

Back
Top Bottom