Lords of the Fallen 2 - New Dev: Will Start Over

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Eurogamer The new developers behind Lords of the Fallen 2 will start over but it will still be an action RPG.

"It's really a reset, it's a fresh start," Defiant Studios managing director David Grijns told me. "It's a new engine - Unreal 4 - and a new team. A team which does not have a long and illustrious background in action RPG development, but we actually see it as a strength."

The team's background is the open-world sandbox mayhem of Just Cause. Grijns and Defiant co-founder Roland Lesterlin, who's creative director, also co-founded Avalanche New York in 2011. There they shipped Just Cause 3 and began work on Just Cause 4, before leaving in 2016 to start something new.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I actually liked the first game so looking forward to this. The controls weren't as smooth as Dark Souls 3 but really liked some of their early boss mechanics. They were quite fun to discover. I also quite liked the atmosphere in the game as well. So here is hoping they will improve on the first game as much as possible.

I actually liked the first game so looking forward to this. The controls weren't as smooth as Dark Souls 3 but really liked some of their early boss mechanics. They were quite fun to discover. I also quite liked the atmosphere in the game as well. So here is hoping they will improve on the first game as much as possible.
It's a new developer so they have big shoes to fill.:anxious:

Just glad I'm not interested in playing Dark Soul clones so I'm not worried.

I may buy it on a cheap sale like I did with the first game.

I found the content a little more engaging than the Dark Souls "invent-your-own-story" stuff, but ultimately the game wasn't that interesting.

Looked really good, though.

I found the content a little more engaging than the Dark Souls "invent-your-own-story" stuff, but ultimately the game wasn't that interesting.

Looked really good, though.

Normally speaking I like a well presented story in games. However I liked "invent-your-own-story" stuff in Dark Souls as well. I would have hated this if every game did this but Dark Souls pulls this off very for me. Discovering the story itself sort of becomes a "game" as well and I found that quite enjoyable. It added sense of mystery and the story is another thing to discover.

I have no idea whats the story of Dark Souls is. I have an idea and its probably wrong but thats also the beauty of it. Its MY story and in this case that was enough.

Also the main draw of the souls game is the combat and boss mechanics so I would have played it even without any story but if all games did this, then I would have hated it!

Normally speaking I like a well presented story in games. However I liked "invent-your-own-story" stuff in Dark Souls as well. I would have hated this if every game did this but Dark Souls pulls this off very for me. Discovering the story itself sort of becomes a "game" as well and I found that quite enjoyable. It added sense of mystery and the story is another thing to discover.

I have no idea whats the story of Dark Souls is. I have an idea and its probably wrong but thats also the beauty of it. Its MY story and in this case that was enough.

Also the main draw of the souls game is the combat and boss mechanics so I would have played it even without any story but if all games did this, then I would have hated it!

Yeah, it's definitely about personal preferences. We all like different things, and that's cool.

I like a clear presentation of the story - and if I'm supposed to piece it together myself, I require some pretty clear notes.

For instance, in games like System Shock - which I adore - a significant portion of the story is told through audio logs - but they're very clear about what went on, and it's all presented in such a way that there's no way to really miss the story unless you deliberately ignore all the clues.

To me, Dark Souls felt sort of like a David Lynch movie. It was weird and based on a bunch of strange exposition bits here and there - and it definitely felt like it was up to myself to figure out some kind of meaning behind it all.

Now, I won't deny the possibility of a straightforward tale being in there, somewhere - but it was so opaque as to be impossible for me to establish. Of course, I didn't like the gameplay much - so I wasn't inclined to go out of my way to do the work.

But Lynch has a ton of fans - and I think it's great that there are more ways to tell a story.

Well some bad news for this game.:(

CI Games Terminates Partnership with Defiant Studios - Eurogamer
The break doesn't sound amicable. Here's how CI Games announced it in a Polish press release on Wednesday, 15th May (translated for Eurogamer by Daniel Kłosiński - thank you).

"The termination of the agreement was submitted due to inadequate execution by Defiant [of] a key work stage (milestone no. 11), a so-called vertical slice. The quality of the work was lower than expected by the company, as precisely described in the agreement, despite three calls to improve the quality of this stage of work."

Defiant Studios, however, doesn't agree, and was less than thrilled by the portrayal.

So no one cares about the sequel I guess?:thinking:

@sakichop

No, nobody does. Thank you, next. :)

Well, i care. :)

I really liked the first Lords of the fallen. Unfortunately with everything that’s happened though I don’t have much hope for the second if it ever materializes.

Thanks for the post @Couchpotato;

Back
Top Bottom