Microsoft Games - Prioritising RPGs

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GamePressure reports on comments made by Phil Spencer, who said 'Microsoft will prioritise RPGs' at the recent XO19 event.

At the X019 event, where Microsoft shared its future plans, youtube's Xbox On channel team took Phil Spencer, the "face" of Xbox, to the table. According to him, RPGs are now a priority for the Redmond giant. Like he said:
"Obviously, first-person and third-person shooters have been strong but it's nice with Outer Worlds coming out, Wasteland. I think RPG's an area that we purposly focused on and want it to do more."

[...]
More information.

Oh. Is that why they make Obsidian produce kid-friendly co-op survival games, then?

Oh. Is that why they make Obsidian produce kid-friendly co-op survival games, then?
Apparently Obsidian was working on that small side project before Microsoft bought them. Yet it was probably a factor as it looks to be inspired by Fortnite.

Last edited:
Skipping on other threads... tsk, tsk... :)

This one:

I think most studios allow their members to pitch game ideas. That is to say they have a pool of ideas, but someone decides what few ideas actually get made into games. Obviously playing to crowdfunders you wouldn't pitch something like Grounded, but it works when pitching it to suits because its has some very trendy elements, whereas pitching Pillars of Eternity obviously is more interesting to older ccrowdfunders who see something like Grounded and are rather put off. Its one of the reasons that Microsoft buying up Obsidian and InXile will probably result in less games members here will be excited about.

I don't like Microsoft at all but if they're going to focus on RPGs, as an RPG player, that can't be bad. If they end up making bad games, I ignore them but if one or two are good, then awesome - 1 or 2 more games for me to play that wouldn't otherwise have existed.

Thanks @joxer;. Co-op isn't my thing, so I'll skip that one. But the spider at the end was cute, wonder when they'll mod it into a bear.

Back
Top Bottom