Baldur's Gate 3 - Gameplay Explained

Yes it looks like a D:OS game but why care? Assassins creed odyssey and the Witcher 3 look quite similar in graphics and gameplay but any who’s actually played both could give a long list of how they’re different.

I’m guessing when BG3 is released and actually played it will be a similar case.

I’m looking forward to it and will Judge it on it’s own merits.

This looks great to me.

I'm hoping that the battles aren't as long and drawn out as D:OS2. I never finished it as the battles would go on and on for too long. I'd get like halfway through and if things weren't looking good, I'd end up reloading... because I didn't want to play for another half-hour or 45 minutes just to get a party wipe.

A more quickly moving story and quicker battles are what I want. I don't mind some longer fights, but DOS2 made every fight a long, long process.

There's a shade of blue I don't like in the game so it's probably a 'wait for a sale' game for me.

Plus the characters don't hold their weapons correctly as people would hold them in real world situations - especially given the weight which doesn't seem correctly simulated in how the weapons are held in-hand.

I also noticed the dialogue was heavy on 't' words so that is a huge strike against this - especially given how many 't' words were found in Original Sin 1&2.

Let's be honest, the color palette is overused - when are they going to invest in discovering some new shades and not going with the same old same old.

I would include the music as well - the same music scale that literally all rpgs' have used since time began? Puh-lease. Let's get some better and newer scales in there - maybe audio that only registers if we have canine implants?

Looks good to me! I'm glad they are limiting the surfaces thing this time. Sounds like they realize they went overboard on that in DOS 2.

I also like and appreciate a return to classic style slow leveling type system. Where each level feels meaningful and makes a big difference in how your character feels in terms of power and new abilities.

To add what I wrote earlier I only ask for three things.

1. Faster Combat
2. Better Companions
3. An actual good story/campaign

Basically better then their past games.:)

My grandfather didn't care about cellphones when they became the thing of the future. The fact that you don't care about something does not mean it isn't good, or even necessary.

To me, co-op is essential, but maybe that's because I have someone to play with and I've grown with different groups of online roleplayers that have rolled dice in every possible online media, from Roll20 to Sword Coast Legends, loving an hating every one of them for different reasons.

To me, verticality is also essential.

To me, a polished and responsive user interface is essential.

To me, having abilities with tactical value that feel impactful and battletide-swinging are essential.

To me, that my spells and abilities have environmental impact and can create opportunities (or calamities) for your party is also essential.

To me, beautifully animated 3D environments are essential.

To me, even that the Githyanki companion looks like she came out from the hair salon in Beverly Hills is essential, in a way.

I don't particularly care about console ports, but if it brings more people to the game, sure, why not? As long as the game doesn't suffer because it has to be accommodated to the fact that it will need to be played with a controller, I'm game.

Maybe you think you could call your mom just the same if you just wait to get home and dial up her number, but the world somehow preferred cellphones. And I somehow prefer games that live up to what the modern technologies can offer.

What a weird response. Very condescending. Let me guess your under 30? You know some people have different opinions and newer isn't always better right? Comparing some not liking co-op games to not wanting to use a cellphone? Umm...ok.

When I want to play co-op I have a gaming group and we get together face to face and game on the tabletop but none of us have much interest in co-op video games. I'm not knocking those who like co-op but don't act like its cool because its new, its a preference.

Most of the stuff you mention other than co-op play (which isn't new anyway), have been in games for years. Maybe the exception are the flashy 3D graphics and the hollywood hair salon looks.

Sure, I'll tell my friends in Orlando, Oslo and Warsaw that we should meet every Thursday evening to play tabletop DnD, since some videogames with multiplayer online integration are a modern, useless feature. Wondering if you're willing to accommodate the transportation and logistics, considering we'll do it in your sake?

Don't worry, I'll dial them up with my grandfather's phone to do so to not disrupt The Golden Age In Which RPG Were Good and All Things Were Better. Even milk and bread tasted better. Have you tasted those things now? I bet they put all kinds of chemicals in them to control our minds.

While I wait for your response, I'll play one of those old-school RPGs that were so fun and so thrilling. Can't wait to have my characters standing in front of the enemy characters spamming attack rolls for hours without any control or influence from me as a player until one actually rolls high enough to hit.

Last edited:
What a weird response. Very condescending. Let me guess your under 30? You know some people have different opinions and newer isn't always better right? Comparing some not liking co-op games to not wanting to use a cellphone? Umm…ok.

When I want to play co-op I have a gaming group and we get together face to face and game on the tabletop but none of us have much interest in co-op video games. I'm not knocking those who like co-op but don't act like its cool because its new, its a preference.

Most of the stuff you mention other than co-op play (which isn't new anyway), have been in games for years. Maybe the exception are the flashy 3D graphics and the hollywood hair salon looks.

You're wasting your time cause you can't argue with irrelevant morons. Probably he has some serious mental issues too.

I think Nereida is just trolling a bit, trying to provoke reactions with hyperbolic and somewhat rude and definitive statements. Kinda reminds me of how Dart used to do some of his posts, but probably its just a coincidence.

Anyway to be honest, if you are looking for posts that seem a bit "off", look at post #23. I'm not sure if it was meant in a satire or sarcastic manner, but its pretty damn weird. The parts that stood out to me as being well, very bizarre:

"There's a shade of blue I don't like in the game so it's probably a 'wait for a sale' game for me."

"I also noticed the dialogue was heavy on 't' words so that is a huge strike against this - especially given how many 't' words were found in Original Sin 1&2."

"I would include the music as well - the same music scale that literally all rpgs' have used since time began? Puh-lease. Let's get some better and newer scales in there - maybe audio that only registers if we have canine implants?"

Especially the last sentence…the post overall just gives me a WTF vibe? Just my humble opinion. (maybe I am just being dense, and the post is an obvious satire or something)

Last edited:
I'm still worried that we still haven't seen or heard anything of a regular living city in the game.
For me running around in "hostile" environment all the time somewhen gets monotonous and tiring. I want to have that change of pace in RPGs.

I think Nereida is just trolling a bit, trying to provoke reactions with hyperbolic and somewhat rude and definitive statements. Kinda reminds me of how Dart used to do some of his posts, but probably its just a coincidence.

I'm honestly not trolling, just being sarcastic, overly at that, which is a flaw of mine. Also I don't know who Dart is, but sounds like someone fun to have around. :)

In any case, the post you refer to is quite refreshing. It points out stupid and meaningless reasons as to why they don't like what they've seen about Baldur's Gate 3, but unlike most others who do the same, at least this one doesn't pretend his/her reasons are valid or worth being taken seriously. It's a beautifully crafted post and I personally enjoyed it quite much.

Larian's games are like overhyped famous boxers with unbeaten records. Usually they fall before a real opponent. I see stupid Divinity: Original Sin 2 all over again in this latest Lotus Trap of theirs..

I think Nereida is just reacting strongly to the negative narrative that is normally the first and loudest narrative on the internet.

Some people seem so focused on the name or a similar look to DOS and don’t seem focused on the gameplay, story or implementation of the D&D ruleset. Seems like odd priorities to me but to each their own.

@Saxon1974; , Co-op new? I was playing co-op when I was a kid and I’m almost 50. My brother and I lost a lot of quarters to double dragon. :)

And the Guantlet video game. Don't shoot the food green elf. My damn brother always shot the food.

I don't know what's happening nowadays, but newer CRPGs are really bad in my opinion. Original Sin 1 & 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker.. All of them terrible games, can't touch gems like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Vampire, Might and Magic, Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, for example.

I would say the worst offender is Pathfinder: Kingmaker. What a bugged, overscoped mess. The writing is abysmal. Never had I seen so many long, uninteresting lore dumps in a game, not even in Inquisitor. And what about that map? No interesting locations or cool cities with well written characters. To this day I remember Candlekeep, Friendly Arms Inn, Nashkell Mines and many other locations and characters. Not so much with this new wave of CRPGs. I was not able to bear Kingmaker even with the ridiculous, time consuming kingdom management set to auto. A shame really, for mechanichally, it's pretty good. But mechanics are nothing without a good, well written plot behind it.

A shame as I see myself leaning more towards JRPGs and board games/tabletop RPGs these days.

The saving grace was Kingdom Come: Deliverance. What an excellent experience.

I am going to try Atom right now, but with low expectations.

I just hope Baldur's Gate 3 takes more from the past than from the current CRPGs, but I find it highly unlikely.

This looks like it is shaping up quite nicely. I might even consider grabbing it in EA to support Larian, but I doubt they'll do EA on GOG which is where I want to get it.

I like the dice rolls on the screen, it's a nice touch. Very glad they brought back individual initiative, and that they scaled down the elemental craziness in combat.

I hope there'll be lots of different companions to choose from, like in the original games. Both Original Sin games were a bit underwhelming in that respect.

Original Sin 1 & 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker.. All of them terrible games

what-the-hell-am-i-reading.jpg

You're wasting your time cause you can't argue with irrelevant morons. Probably he has some serious mental issues too.

Oh the irony in your statement...

Larian's games are like overhyped famous boxers with unbeaten records. Usually they fall before a real opponent. I see stupid Divinity: Original Sin 2 all over again in this latest Lotus Trap of theirs..

Hmm when does your game get released again?:)

I don't know what's happening nowadays, but newer CRPGs are really bad in my opinion. Original Sin 1 & 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker.. All of them terrible games, can't touch gems like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Vampire, Might and Magic, Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, for example.

I would say the worst offender is Pathfinder: Kingmaker. What a bugged, overscoped mess. The writing is abysmal. Never had I seen so many long, uninteresting lore dumps in a game, not even in Inquisitor. And what about that map? No interesting locations or cool cities with well written characters. To this day I remember Candlekeep, Friendly Arms Inn, Nashkell Mines and many other locations and characters. Not so much with this new wave of CRPGs. I was not able to bear Kingmaker even with the ridiculous, time consuming kingdom management set to auto. A shame really, for mechanichally, it's pretty good. But mechanics are nothing without a good, well written plot behind it.

A shame as I see myself leaning more towards JRPGs and board games/tabletop RPGs these days.

The saving grace was Kingdom Come: Deliverance. What an excellent experience.

I am going to try Atom right now, but with low expectations.

I just hope Baldur's Gate 3 takes more from the past than from the current CRPGs, but I find it highly unlikely.

I literally disagree with most of what you said here.

Back
Top Bottom