What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I watched "Mr Brooks" yesterday , the film had big potential but there was too little violence and only like 5 murders , i think the movie should move more on the "i am a good father and enjoy my hobbies" path rather than KC finding his feminine side .

Karate Kid : terrible , Chucky Chan not kicking some rear = fail

22 Bullets : awesome because they only movies better than those where Jean Reno kills bad guys are those where Jean Reno is the bad guy

Grown ups : If you are together with friends and their families and you have 4 movies to see just after launch pick it first , it is ideal for for you to take a nap while other's are watching.

Black Swan

Pretty damn great. Aronofsky is definitely one of the most talented people in Hollywood.

Portman, Cassel, Kunis, and Hershey all gave absolutely top-notch performances.

Aronosfky has a way of making movies without a set-in-stone conclusion, but also without the overly elusive "artsy" open ending that I tend to really dislike.

Like the Fountain, it's very open to interpretation - but I've got a pretty definite idea of what both movies are trying to say.

That's rare in Hollywood.

Normally, you either get a message-sledgehammer in your face, or you get absolutely nothing. This is different.

Some more movies

The Eagle : Not bad at all , it is pro-Roman which of course stinks but i mostly liked the way it presented highlanders like native Americans . Battle scenes are believable but the Romans were not Japanese to care so much about honour and crap , also the move try very hard to hide/show that the 2 major characters are gay, which of course was 100% natural back in Roman era.

Centurion : In the same spirit but somewhat better , Roman vs Brit action movie . The whole bitch warrior and "dude you killed my son" parts are very cliché.

Both movies are okay if you are in the mood & can leave out the exaggeration about Scotland having lots of snow and high mountains .

Let me in : Vampire-kid movie that plays as slow as a European film , the script is very predictable but the kids are okayish in their roles , not bloody enough.
I guess people interesting in teenager romance will like it.

Monsters: It is NOT an action movie , more like a documentary and i loved the way it mixes sci-fi aliens with modern day drug cartels and illegal immigration , the characters are not very interesting and you know they they are going to fuck in the and but the story is well presented . American bitterness of "what they country has become" is starting to get boring .

Let me in : Vampire-kid movie that plays as slow as a European film , the script is very predictable but the kids are okayish in their roles , not bloody enough.
I guess people interesting in teenager romance will like it.

Do you realize it's a remake of a Swedish film? The original title was 'Let the Right One In', and it was based on the book of the same name.

I haven't seen the remake, but I thought the original was pretty good.

Do you realize it's a remake of a Swedish film? The original title was 'Let the Right One In', and it was based on the book of the same name.

I haven't seen the remake, but I thought the original was pretty good.

Hm , thinking that American remakes are fast pace European with Swedish cinema being the slowest of all i guess the original film must be like 4 hours long.

I don't think this will be available for rent but i'll give it a go .

For what it's worth, I found the original to be completely pointless, overly depressing, and boring - but there was one scene that was really interesting.

I bet they ruined that scene in the US version :)

Ever stare at something horrible out of morbid curiosity? Sort of like driving by a bad car accident, and you just can't resist looking at it.

It was like a 90 minute long car wreck. :)

Ever stare at something horrible out of morbid curiosity? Sort of like driving by a bad car accident, and you just can't resist looking at it.

It was like a 90 minute long car wreck. :)

I stopped doing that after a few "interesting" experiences back when the Internet was new :)

Watched the new Disney "Rapunzel" movie - it's a great fun to watch it ! ;)

Plus :

- a few lessons in Black Pedagogy
- a hint towards Bladerunner ;)
- a scene that reminded me of a scine in the secons Indiana Jones movie … ;)
- the maybe most bloody stupid dwarf (?) the cinema has ever seen !!! :lol:

I can recommend it to anyone who wants just a funny afternoon. :)
But it teaches also a few rather serious bits on unhealthy mother-daughter relationships.

A Serbian movie : highly recommended for the whole family , necro-paedophilia and snuff in one film!!!! what more can someone ask for?. Seriously this must be the most shocking flick i watched in the last 5 years, specially the usual Serbian "take this WTF in your face" makes it way more disturbing that it actually is .

Troll Hunt : Best Scandinavian movie since "dead snow" , im buying 2 copies of this to honour the creators.

Is this meant to be satire in regard to the movie I mentioned above ?

I think you mean Pandorum. It was ok.. not on the same level as Event Horizon imo.

Right , this is it.

Event Horizon had a Lovecraft-ish touch and was much more gore , Pandorum was mostly about isolation , specially when you know that
they are whats left of mankind
while Horizon 's is just filled with some unimportant crewmen .

Just finished watching Dead Space: Aftermath.

It's an animated film that bridges the gap between the Dead Space 1&2 games. It was mildly entertaining, but not as good as 2008's Dead Space: Downfall, imo. It was interesting in that it's divided into 4 parts that were done by different directors and artist.

Worth seeing if you're a fan of the franchise, but otherwise nothing special.

Just finished watching Dead Space: Aftermath.

It's an animated film that bridges the gap between the Dead Space 1&2 games. It was mildly entertaining, but not as good as 2008's Dead Space: Downfall, imo. It was interesting in that it's divided into 4 parts that were done by different directors and artist.

Worth seeing if you're a fan of the franchise, but otherwise nothing special.

Is totally disconnected with 1st movie ? this is what i read in some boards

Back
Top Bottom