What games are you playing now?

Finally finished IW One, and it was excellent, the expansions were well worth playing as well. Just started the second one, and it seems good so far, but I'm only like an hour into it. Were there any expansions for IW Two??

-Carn

I'm trying Legend of Grimrock, but I'm not really seeing much here to keep my interest. It is mostly lever and pit puzzles and those get old fast. I'm only on level 3 but there just doesn't seem to be enough variety in the game. Part of the problem is that the magic system is dull and I like playing mages.

IW? As IWD? If yes, no add-on. There was an Adventure Pack, which is about a dozen of additional ingame items sold by special merchants. That pack was introduced as a separate "upgrade" for the common version of the game, but those merchants were already included in the some specific versions (collectors edition). IMO nothing worth bothering with.

Yea well… I've decided not to replay Skyrim just yet. So I've reinstalled DA:O and will replay it.
Just so you know, the xmas promo items giveaway crap still works. If you by any chance choose to replay DA:O (or dunno, but still possible, DA2), register on Origin, log on Bioware s. network (spying, but they call it social), register the game there, redeem the content on this link, then just log in from within the game and it'll download those (OP?) items:
http://social.bioware.com/da2/dlc_bundle

I recently replayed Mass Effect 1-3 with all DLCs. Quite fun. Now I'm replaying Gothic 1-3.

I recently replayed Mass Effect 1-3 with all DLCs. Quite fun. Now I'm replaying Gothic 1-3.

Hehe, I've been wanting to play Mass Effect again. It's kinda crazy - I think it will be my 4th time - and I almost never replay games.

How many times have you completed them by now?

Hehe, I've been wanting to play Mass Effect again. It's kinda crazy - I think it will be my 4th time - and I almost never replay games.

How many times have you completed them by now?

ME1: 30ish (crazy, I know)
ME2: 15ish
ME3: 8ish

Roughly. Not quite sure. It shouldn't be too hard to check as I still have all my savegames.

The strange thing about ME1 is I was far more hooked on it before ME2 was released. The sheer potential of the setting/trilogy back then is what made me replay it over and over.

ME1: 30ish (crazy, I know)
ME2: 15ish
ME3: 8ish

Roughly. Not quite sure. It shouldn't be too hard to check as I still have all my savegames.

The strange thing about ME1 is I was far more hooked on it before ME2 was released. The sheer potential of the setting/trilogy back then is what made me replay it over and over.

30?

Hehe, ok - that is a bit much!

Yeah, the trilogy concept was my primary motivation before ME2/ME3 as well. But, as you know, I'm not a big fan of ME2 and I really don't like ME3. But I still have plans to one day get through ME3 just so that I can experience the story in its entirety.

I don't know if there's a way to minimise the combat - which I think is the worst part of ME3 (the sheer amount and focus on it). Maybe I should just accept playing it on easy difficulty.

I'm such a sucker for sci-fi :)

I'm such a sucker for sci-fi :)

Same, and that's probably the reason I have replayed it so many times. When I get into a sci-fi mood (which happens quite frequently), what are my options? We need more good sci-fi RPGs, as we simply don't have enough good ones to choose from at this point.

I can't believe there's not a single good Star Trek RPG for example. Exploring space. That's the whole concept of the series. Being a starship captain with a crew and a ship to use as a "stronghold" (in an RPG sense), exploring space and finding new planets and species. It doesn't even have to be Star Trek, the concept works in most sci-fi settings.

Same, and that's probably the reason I have replayed it so many times. When I get into a sci-fi mood (which happens quite frequently), what are my options? We need more good sci-fi RPGs, as we simply don't have enough good ones to choose from at this point.

I can't believe there's not a single good Star Trek RPG for example. Exploring space. That's the whole concept of the series. Being a starship captain with a crew and a ship to use as a "stronghold" (in an RPG sense), exploring space and finding new planets and species. It doesn't even have to be Star Trek, the concept works in most sci-fi settings.

You're quite right, quality sci-fi is EXTREMELY rare when it comes to games.

If you go back into the past - there are some really fantastic games, like System Shock, BioForce and Xenomorph.

For newer games, Dead Space 1 and 2 are both very good.

But when compared to fantasy or "military" games - quality science fiction is almost unheard of.

Mass Effect, and particularly the first one, is a superb sci-fi game in terms of atmosphere.

Not surprising as they brainstormed all their favorite sci-fi franchises and combined them. I'm seeing a lot of Babylon 5 and Aliens in it - for instance.

KotOR, obviously, is also fantastic - but I've always considered the Star Wars setting as much fantasy as sci-fi.

Anyway, I really hope we'll get our hands on more quality sci-fi one day.

As for Star Trek:

The old Star Trek adventure games are actually great. Both the Kirk/Spock games (IIRC they're called Anniversary or something) - and The Final Unity with TNG crew was also a good game.

But it's true - Star Trek has SO much potential. Unfortunately, they've all but ruined the franchise with the new movie version - if you ask me.

Deep into skyrim now. Really enjoying it in a way I have never been able to enjoy Oblivion. But I can feel Dark Souls calling me back...

I've actually had very little time for gaming lately. I'm still trying to finish my replay of Bioshock, and I started Mars: War Logs as soon as it was release but haven't had time to play very far.

I can feel Dark Souls calling me back…

Dark Souls has been lingering in my mind as well. :)

I got Ticket to Ride on super Steam sale, so that's been added to my casual, no time/energy to get into a real game list.

Over the weekend installed Gothic 1 and played it up to finding the Old Camp. It didn't run out of the box on Win 7 64 bit. Imagine that. ;)

There is a patch out there that fixes it pretty much (except the PB splash video is dark, no great loss I assume). Got used to the controls for fighting, jumping/climbing, inventory, again. Not bad once you get the hang of it. A lot of trial and error though. Remapping keys doesn't work so well. I remapped movement keys to standard WASD. The original arrow keys are too awkward. The game doesn't always de-assign keys, so you can can have have 1 key assigned to 2 functions, and of course the original assignment can take priority. Pretty basic stuff that shouldn't still be bugged after all these years…

The game doesn't always de-assign keys, so you can can have have 1 key assigned to 2 functions, and of course the original assignment can take priority. Pretty basic stuff that shouldn't still be bugged after all these years…

There's nothing bugged about it. Not every game automatically de-assigns keys. It's inconvenient yes, but it only takes a few seconds to clear the keys you don't want.

Besides, maybe some people want to be able to jump while they simultaneously turn to their left. ;)

Except it doesn't actually work that way, one assignment takes priority over the other, none are combined in the way you mention. That's just a bad design.

Back
Top Bottom