Quantcast
The TV Series discussion thread - Page 162 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

April 19th, 2018, 15:26
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Four episodes into Season 2 of Stranger Things. I love the setting and the atmosphere, it's well written and the actors are great. I'm finding the overall plot less engaging than the first one though. It just doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. And one of the kids has done something inexplicably dumb with something he found in a bin, the kind of dumb that serves to move the plot forward but just doesn't really make sense. Still good TV though overall.
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I'm currently watching Season 2 of Stranger Things (six episodes in), and it is just as beautifully shot and well acted as the first season, and still has great characters and dialogue. Its good television. But the overarching narrative just seems to have been lost. The first season was driven by a really strong plot point (finding Will) which gave everyone motivation. They could absolutely have wrapped the entire thing up at the end of that season. But it did well, so hey let's make more of it. The new season? Basically, stuff is still happening. You start to doubt that anyone has a clue where they're taking the story, just that the writers know they need to keep making more episodes. I'm not saying it isn't good TV, just that I think some stories work better in a shorter arc (like the way each season of Fargo is self-contained, for example).
Dunno why it took me so long. Finally binged Stranger Things 2.

The kid does a stupid thing? But of course he does! When I was at that age I brought home a new bug/beast every day. And it made no sense. And it moved me (and my family getting disgusted) forward. Kids in this show are totally opposite of spielberglikes, in fact as this is supposed to be fantasy their reactions and behavior feel perhaps too real.
I don't see how finding a kid in the first season is stronger then getting him help due to a sort of PTSD (in this case though it isn't just a halucination).

IMO, ST2 upgrades the first season in all the right places.
The main villain in second season is not yet another spielbergish evil and cunning human but an actual monster with it's minions, 80s references are even more exaggerated and I don't mean just the variety of new old hairstyles, deliberate cheesyness in some scenes brings up nostalgia more effectively, humor is dosed in right amounts and happens unexpected (b: it's shit, s: I don't see any cows, b: wait till you meet highschool girls), new characters are not filler, 80s scores used totally fit what's currently on screen, etc etc
Sure, the lost sister might be taken as negative but let's be real, she's season 3 material and here was just introduced.

Younger audience will for sure disagree with me on Stranger Things 2. Maybe watching working girl movie, cindy lauper clips and mad max original would help a bit on understanding it completely.
But to me the second season is not only better than the first one, it's a masterpiece. Don't repeat my mistake and don't wait for Godot. Life is too short to spend it on mediocrity. Watch Stranger Things (both seasons) now.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

April 19th, 2018, 16:39
We just finished tearing our way through the Netflix series ‘Grace & Frankie’ … it is a fun 30-minute comedy-ish about two couples in their 70s who were best friends broken up when the husbands come out as gay and in a relationship with each other … and the wives are suddenly living together in their shared beach house.

The cast - Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen - really make it all work very well, and the guest stars have been wonderful across the four seasons. The four adult kids have their ups and downs but have gotten better as they’ve grown into their characters, but ultimately it is the core relationships that make it all work.

I know - not typical for this forum, but something we have enjoyed.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

April 19th, 2018, 17:26
Erm, what's not typical?
Comedy does get mentioned, shows with gay couples too (IIRC I wrote How to Get Away With Murder is impressive with it's fast pace and twists).

Or you mean the old masterpiece with Fonda&Tomlin Nine to Five.
Yea, I don't think anyone wrote anything about it. It's one of those mustwatch before dying movies made in times when Hollywood still knew how to film something good. IMO.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

April 19th, 2018, 23:24
Started Ministry of Time, with my wife, not only do we both love it but are astounded at the production qualities. And we have 2 more seasons after this . . . ? ? ?

It kinda reminds me of the very early Doctor Whos. That did a lot of story telling with very little effects.

Thanks Joxer for the heads up. Please link me to your earlier review.
Last edited by Dajjer; April 19th, 2018 at 23:47.

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

April 19th, 2018, 23:32
I've been meaning to check that one out. Early Dr. Who, before the hacks got hold of it, sounds interesting.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

April 19th, 2018, 23:46
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I've been meaning to check that one out. Early Dr. Who, before the hacks got hold of it, sounds interesting.
You definitely should check it out. The content is mature and is looking at the adult audience more than the family audience. And it is subtitled, but since the language is Spanish, I can pick out a few words here and there that makes it even more enjoyable. Unlike when I watch Japanese, Italian or French productions and have no clue as to the language.

The other interesting aspect of the show is that it appears the bulk of their time travel deals with Spanish history. While there are a ton of familiar period pieces and figures, I think it is fantastic to see time travel from a totally different perspective. There is even a joke about that early in the series.

A big plus to giving this show a thumps up is that Netflix has recommended a number of interesting Spanish sci fi movies that were no where close to being on my radar.

Me for the win.

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

April 20th, 2018, 03:49
Spanish history is also much longer and varied than US history (comparing it to Timeless which is the US 'stolen' copy). One episode could be in 1950, the next could be in 800, the next in 1580, 1220, etc. Interestingly enough I just finished season 2 and I find it even better than the first season which was great. And now to season 3.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

April 20th, 2018, 04:03
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
Started Ministry of Time, with my wife, not only do we both love it but are astounded at the production qualities. And we have 2 more seasons after this . . . ? ? ?

It kinda reminds me of the very early Doctor Whos. That did a lot of story telling with very little effects.

Thanks Joxer for the heads up. Please link me to your earlier review.
Where is that playing?
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

April 20th, 2018, 05:59
Ministry of Time or
El Ministerio del Tiempo is on Netflix

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

April 20th, 2018, 08:53
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Dunno why it took me so long. Finally binged Stranger Things 2.
For what it's worth, I thought the final episode of season 2 was fantastic. The rest of the season, for me, just wasn't as strong as the first one. But it was still quality stuff and I'll definitely check out Season 3.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

April 21st, 2018, 03:30
The Lost in Space reboot is even worse than the movie. Every one of the Robinson children is either a sniveling little nancy (Will) with a nervous disorder in crisis situations or an unattractive, gape-mouthed, wisecracking tomboy (penny) that thinks she knows it all… and can do it all.. Judy is just a great wet stick of sweating angst, reliving her trauma of having been entombed in ice over and over again. Professor John Robinson… ugh (is he even a professor in this? I think it's implied that he's just a grunt, letting his wife Maureen do most of the work and figuring out things… wouldn't be at all surprised if their sex life consists mainly of her pegging him with a 14" steely dan). Stories are boring and Dr. Smith is a distaff disaster. I don't even wanna think about how that cock-head Don West is going to factor into all this. I despise him already. Since there's no cool giant cyclops tossing boulders at those Robinson tossers from above, I'm taking my leave on only the 3rd episode in. It's junk. Tis a pity since the original LIS is one of my favorite favorite childhood SF shows. Oh, Irwin, what have they done to your poor children?

JackOfOwls

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 21st, 2018, 03:45
Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
The Lost in Space reboot is even worse than the movie. Every one of the Robinson children is either a sniveling little nancy (Will) with a nervous disorder in crisis situations or an unattractive, gape-mouthed, wisecracking tomboy (penny) that thinks she knows it all… and can do it all.. Judy is just a great wet stick of sweating angst, reliving her trauma of having been entombed in ice over and over again. Professor John Robinson… ugh (is he even a professor in this? I think it's implied that he's just a grunt, letting his wife Maureen do most of the work and figuring out things… wouldn't be at all surprised if their sex life consists mainly of her pegging him with a 14" steely dan). Stories are boring and Dr. Smith is a distaff disaster. I don't even wanna think about how that cock-head Don West is going to factor into all this. I despise him already. Since there's no cool giant cyclops tossing boulders at those Robinson tossers from above, I'm taking my leave on only the 3rd episode in. It's junk. Tis a pity since the original LIS is one of my favorite favorite childhood SF shows. Oh, Irwin, what have they done to your poor children?
Easy there, Killer.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

April 21st, 2018, 03:52
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post

The cast - Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen - really make it all work very well, and the guest stars have been wonderful across the four seasons. The four adult kids have their ups and downs but have gotten better as they’ve grown into their characters, but ultimately it is the core relationships that make it all work.

I know - not typical for this forum, but something we have enjoyed.
Some trivia about Martin Sheen - he played one of the very first gay men on American network television in the TV movie That Certain Summer, along with his boyfriend in the film Hal Holbrook. It was the very early 1970s. Not my kind of TV show though. I can't even stand Will & Grace.

JackOfOwls

Watchdog

April 21st, 2018, 03:56
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Easy there, Killer.
It is my duty, my purpose, to save the children, the children, and prevent them from watching the awful Lost In Space 2018, which should be on the SyFy channel!

JackOfOwls

Watchdog

April 21st, 2018, 05:47
Don't be knocking The Expanse's channel!
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

April 21st, 2018, 06:06
Even the Sci Fi channel wouldn't touch the drek that this incarnation of Lost in Space is made of. Since the Expanse, I think they now might have some standards, at least where space shows are concerned.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread