Fallout 4 - Fails at the Hands of Witcher 3

Aubrielle

Noveliste
A (possibly controversial) Polygon op-ed argues that while Fallout 4 was a great game, it ultimately failed in the shadow of The Witcher 3.

Games are a medium just like film is a medium, although we never hear about something being criticized for not "being a movie," the same way that claim is held against certain games. A part of this may be due to the fact that violence is often seen as the default interaction for many big-name games, while everything else is seen as icing on a particularly bloody cake.

Which is why, looking back on 2015 with a bit of distance, I'm much more impressed with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt than I am with Fallout 4. They're both amazing games, and will long be remembered in the year's canon of games one should play to understand where the industry was. However, one game seems to relentlessly funnel you toward combat, while the other allows for a much more subtle form of storytelling.

To see what I mean, let me tell you about a race.
Full story.

More information.

Fallout 4 funnels you into violence, The Witcher 3 invites you to dance

Nuff said, they're full of it. Fallout 4 is far better than Witcher 3. Who wants to dance in a video game? I want killin and lootin and lots of it. FO4 brings it. TW3 is a 13 hour movie with brief periods of lame combat.

Last edited:
not even reading the article.

i beat fallout 4. i quit witcher 3 about halfway through. might pick it up after the expansion, we'll see.

Fallout 4 funnels you into violence, The Witcher 3 invites you to dance

Nuff said, they're full of it. Fallout 4 is far better than Witcher 3. Who wants to dance in a video game? I want killin and lootin and lots of it. F04 brings it. TW3 is a 13 hour movie with brief periods of lame combat.

Yeah while I think that Witcher 3 was the superior release, this particular point of theirs does seem at odds with Fallout 4 being the one you can actually complete without killing anyone.

Edit: Reading the full context I can see how they were talking about the narrative (content, as well as structure and presentation.) In that sense yes it does feel like you're always being funelled towards combat even if your choice is to avoid it.

I feel a disturbance in the force based on past threads.
smiley-sw022.gif

Abandon Rationality ye who enter this thread.:)

Both good games. /end thread?

Witcher 3 was a good game but I have to agree it was almost like watching a movie. But it was a damn pretty movie. Think I will finally start Fallout 4 soon. Been having a blast with Darkest Dungeon and Underrail. Guess the little companies have been giving me more gaming pleasure lately. Been having my eye on The Quest also :) I may never get to FO4 hehe.

Well this image speaks for itself with all the GOTY awards this year.

DfEQLaQ.jpg

PS
: I think both games are great and worth the time to play, but after reading the article the writer does make a point about some locations in Fallout 4.

Ididn't expect to hear the cries of an announcer yelling animatedly about a race while I was wandering around Bethesda's fictional Boston wasteland in Fallout 4, especially when his excitement came through bad speakers from a decaying racetrack. I approached the location, enjoying his announcements of strange names.

Looking through my sniper scope, I watched as various robots "ran" the track, although many, to be more accurate, floated.

The crowd was cheering while sitting on the bleachers watching the spectacle. Perhaps, I thought, some had gambled their life savings yearning for a dream that would never become reality. I had some spare caps and decided I wanted to bet, too. The scene ignited my imagination.
Only, I had forgotten: This is Fallout 4.

The default for a situation in Fallout 4 is to kill everyone. There was to be no engagement with this lovingly crafted setup, and no interaction with the audience or the managers that wasn't in the language of bullets and death. Instead, my mere arrival resulted in the announcer summoning the audience to attack me. The scenario in my head remained there; the game was more interested in violence than world-building.

The fight was memorable, if only because I found a switch that led to the detonation of all the mindless robots. Other than that, it was the same firefight with faceless characters that I'd been having since the beginning of the game.
This is not an issue I only have with Fallout 4, but it speaks to a wider problem. There is often little room in these worlds for situations that aren't resolved by violence, even when the possibility for something more is present. These beautiful worlds are created, and then filled with bullets.

*FALLOUT 4 SPOILER*

So, I just now got to the point in Fallout 4 where you are forced to not only pick a faction, but go and slaughter the other factions for very little substantial reason. The story has completely fallen apart for me, and has become one of the silliest RPGs I've ever played. Good thing because I was starting to get bored after 200 hours of side questing/settlement-building.

The Witcher 3 beats the shit out of this game, in nearly every category but guns.

I was able to do some things with high charisma and stealth to avoid combat but I do agree 100% - they could have put a lot more of those options into the game.

Also would like to see some more dialogue options in general. I don't think I ever said it couldn't be improved on - hell it could be improved on a great deal - but I don't let those things bother me if I still find most of the game fun (speaking about any game here not just FO4). I could make a very large list of things I would like to see in the game, and many other games for that matter. But while it might be a fun academic exercise it won't change anything.

I feel a disturbance in the force based on past threads.
smiley-sw022.gif

Abandon Rationality ye who enter this thread.:)

Ok but honestly... what were we expecting with a title and article that was promoted for this exact reason :)

Polygon rides again.

Next stupid title:
Tomb Raider fails at the hands of Fallout4 which fails… erm… something and that also fails… etc

Is that site real?

I like TW3 more than FO4, but to say FO4 is a fail I cannot understand. It's absolutely not, it's a great game (once you put no_radiant garbage and no respawn mods ofc ;)).

HUH! That's like saying game X is great after you add mod A B C D ... Y & Z to correct it's issues. If a game can not hold its own in a vanilla state it fails the test since any game if rebuilt and redesigned by mods is not the same game you started with.

Different games for different audiences. Both games have very good things that those who like that kind of game enjoy very much.

However, we are at RPGWatch.com.

I sure won't bring The Witcher 3 up at at FPSWatch.com or try to compare it to Fallout 4 there (don't know if a site like that exists, nor I do care).

Point being, Fallout 4 does not belong here. Get out.

not even reading the article.

i beat fallout 4. i quit witcher 3 about halfway through. might pick it up after the expansion, we'll see.

So what we can take from this post is fallout was easy and the witcher to hard for you?

Only kidding sort of....

People should try and read this better...I don't agree with a lot of things that Polygon puts on display, but in this matter they make an interesting point for those mature enough to see past fanboyism.
Fallout IV has far more thematically compelling setting than plenty of video games out there, but failed to realize it in comparison, for the sake of gratification through "killin and lootin' and lots of it".

People should try and read this better…I don't agree with a lot of things that Polygon puts on display, but in this matter they make an interesting point for those mature enough to see past fanboyism.
Fallout IV has far more thematically compelling setting than plenty of video games out there, but failed to realize it in comparison, for the sake of gratification through "killin and lootin' and lots of it".

Reality is titles like these are only made to cause fighting about games.

While The Witcher 3 was a great game, it ultimately failed in the shadow of Fallout 4. Games are nothing like movies therefore I wanted to make my own character, forge out and kind of make my own way in the world. While fallout let me do that the witcher 3 kept funneling me down geralts story.

Which is why, looking back on 2015 with a bit of distance, I'm much more impressed with Fallout 4 than I am with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.:rolleyes:

Least I mention though, Undertale was much better than both of those games because it could be played with no violence at all and enemies could be beaten by flirting alone. simply devine, really.

I will be submitting my article to hopefully get a job at Polygon seeing as how it's just as insightful.;)

Back
Top Bottom