The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

If you want to be a cleric with evasion and fighting skills then a clonk (cleric level 18, monk level 2) could be a viable option. One reason is that both classes benefit from the wisdom attribute. Clonk 17/3 would probably work well too.

If you want an über character with the current rules then a monkcher is the way to go. That is a monk with ranger and fighter or rogue levels. These builds exploit epic level destinies to do insane damage when the manyshot feat is active using the monk ability 10k stars.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/425261-U19-Monkcher

Last edited:
When you make a character then you could first think about what do you prefer to do:
* trapper
* healer / buffer
* nuker
* crowd control
* ranged dps (damage per second)
* melee dps
* tank
Etc.

Usually you can combine a few of those roles, but not several. Well unless you're toon with many past lives and great gear.

Taking artificer or ranger levels is great if you prefer to do ranged damage. Then it can be combined with some other class. E. g. rangers with a few rogue levels can do traps very well.

There are several trees you can pick within a class so e. g. a cleric doesn't have to be a healer. A cleric can add enhancement points in 3 different cleric trees:
Warpriest (melee dps)
Divine Disciple (divine caster dps)
Radiant servant (healing)

Downloading the DDO character planner is a good idea. Then you can experiment with different builds:
http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/DDOCharGen42002.zip

DDO wiki has a lot of useful info about everything in the game including classes and quests:

http://ddowiki.com/

Last edited:
When you are in a guild then you have many benefits.

* Joining in regular guild quest runs (each Friday evening) and adhoc guild runs (happening every day).

* Access to buffs on the guild airship. Those are particularly helpful at lower levels

* Chance to get help completing quests. PUG's (pick up groups) can do the same, but you never know when the quests you want to run appear on the list.

* Chance to get nice loot from other guild members (via the guild chest or directly by playing with guildies). That means a new player can quickly catch up to more experienced players and participate well in even the tougher quests.

* A place to get lots of questions answered by other guild members who know a lot about the game. Azraelck and Jm are the ones with the widest knowledge of different classes, builds.

DDO is a very min-max game, but it's not very difficult over-all once you get rolling. But a few things (traps in particular) require an all-out investment.

Given that you are new, and we yell at JM for jumping up and down at the trap box, to be a trapper, you'll need max ranks in Search, Spot, and Disable. On a Cleric or Favored Soul, that would be 2 points in each skill. As a Caster, you'll also want max ranks in concentration. So total you would need 7 skill points per level. This would mean basically you have to have an 18 INT Human Cleric/Rogue.

TBH, if you want to do a healing trapper, I would do a Bard/Rogue splash. Bards have solid healing and buffing abilities, and can be built for strong CC or strong melee as well. They also get extra skill points per level, which means you can choose any race.

I don't recommend buying Drow, since they are easily unlocked in-game. 400 favor goes by very quickly. Humans can be useful with the extra feat, Dwarves have more CON but a penalty to CHA. Halflings have a penalty to STR, but this is really not an issue, other than certain ailments like Enfeeblement being more likely to make you helpless. Elves have a penalty to CON, but at max level it's only -1 fortitude save and 28 fewer hit points. Made up for one of the better Dragonmarks. Other races are buy-to-play.

Unfortunately the character planner has yet to be updated, so newer changes such as the Swashbuckler tree and the Bard revamp aren't even in it yet. So it's a little harder to plan one out. Always take Rogue as the first level, since you get 4 times the skill points at first level when making a new character.

Basically, always max out Search, Spot, and Disable Device every level. Use Magical Device (UMD) is also awesome, if you can afford the skills. For casters, Concentration is a must, and if you can Heal (to boost healing spells' strength) and Spellcraft (to boost damage spells' strength). Perform is a must for a Bard.

Going with a splash, you may not be able to fit in everything on a 28 point build. When I had a trapper Bard, I put everything into UMD, Search, Disable, Spot, Concentration, and Perform. I think I needed 9 skill points per Bard level, which meant I had to have a starting INT of 16 (she was a Half-Elf). I have stat tomes on that character, so she used the extra skill point later to shore up weak spots.

Rangers are actually easier to build trap skills into, since they get Search and Spot as class skills. Their healing ability is more limited (don't underestimate it though, my classic Exploiter served as tank healer on a few raids), and buffing is definitely limited. But they gain Evasion, all three Two Weapon Fighting feats, and most of the best ranged combat feats letting them be versatile in combat.

Since I have effectively beat LoTRO (gotten max level), its time for me to move on.

I'm downloading this right now. Tried it a long time ago but never joined a guild or anything and effectively lost interest. I think I'll enjoy it more this time around.

Once I get on and make a character (which is looking like a tough decision on what direction to go) I'll join the local guild.

You have to be invited to join; which is quite easy, just send us (or post here) the name of your toon(s) and one of us will issue an invite which you can pick up from any mailbox.

I think you first need to play the Korthos introductory area. It should get your toon to level 2 or 3. Once you leave Korthos for Stormreach you will be able to find access to the guild airship in the Stormreach harbor area.

Yep, gotta finish Korthos first. Well, at least the 4 "in town" quests since the boat isn't active until you complete Collaborator. You can't receive the guild invite without a mailbox and there ain't be none in Korthos. First lifer will make level 3 with ease getting thru the intro content.

Actually, every new character I started at 1 was able to skip Korthos snowyside by talking with the one who sends you to Stormreach. Not sure if a totally new account can skip it though.

One thing about DDO is that it's infinitely more fun with friends, even if it's a very solo-friendly game. It changed into a different game when I joined the guild runs.

You have to be invited to join; which is quite easy, just send us (or post here) the name of your toon(s) and one of us will issue an invite which you can pick up from any mailbox.

Yup, I'll post the character name once I stop deleting and remaking characters and get out of the starting area. It will probably be a few days as I'm slow.

What is the plan for today's Friday run?

If I remember correctly team A managed to finish the first 4 Stormhorns quests on heroic elite to open the last quest in the chain (What Goes Up).

The info I have is that team B wiped twice on the third quest (Breaking the Ranks). The fourth quest (A Break in the Ice) is pretty easy so team B should be able to finish that without outside help.

Maybe we can do something like this:
Team B gets help from Cm (cleric) and Azraelck (druid) to finish Breaking the Ranks on heroic elite. In the mean time the remaining people of team A (Corwin and I) can run DA epic normal for XP and tokens.

Once team B + 2 people has finished Breaking the Ranks Cm and Azraelck join team A to finish What Goes Up. Team B finishes A Break in the Ice.

Then team A do a single epic quest somewhere while Team B finishes What Goes Up. Examples could be Don't drink the water or in the Belly of the Beast. Then both teams should be in sync again.

What is the plan after we have completed Stormhorns heroic elite? Starting on the 4 Sschindylryn quests or swap to the level 8's doing level 6 quests?

Are we taking level 24 after we have completed What Goes Up or do we want to run e. g. the Amrath quests on heroic elite? Those are also level 19 on normal.

I suspect Team B is going to need help with What Goes Up, and it's a long enough quest that I'm not sure it's worth attempting without it. We'll have the same problems in the final battle that we did with Breaking the Ranks. Even on hard, this one is a beast.

For What Goes Up you need to focus on the key mobs in the end fight. If you just go for the trash you will be stuck with respawns. If some in the group can target the minibosses, pillars etc. and be self healing then it's ok. Hirelings will be useless there.

A big challenge is the shadar kai assassins with their chains. A hit and run tactics is what you need in the end fight. When you see an assassin charging up the chain you better run. It will go well until you're held or something by the casters in the area.

Team A can give feedback about the challenge when they try and offer some to help out team B if it was a bear to get through it.

The very first toon for an account HAS to do Korthos I'm pretty sure. Any toon after has option to quit early.

I haven't done breaking the ranks, must have missed you.

Sorry misread

Might I suggest something else. If the final quest is REALLY difficult, then why not do it with a full team. That would mean 2 people doing it twice (those who know it best), but I'm sure it would be easier with a full team rather than hirelings. Just a thought.

The other 2 could do a simple lowbie quest with our lowbies.

Back
Top Bottom