The Bard's Tale II - Automap Preview

I will play it for the first time ever when it releases. Can't wait as I've heard some great things about the series and I'm a big fan of crawlers like Elminage Gothic and Wizardry.

Errr ... cute ? I mean the look of the automap.

Torn on this, very cool that automap is being added but I think it loses something. As a kid I explored the dungeons an mapping them was part of the mystery of the experience. Granted don't have time for that now so it makes sense. I will still play it but I doubt anyone playing these will get the same experience I did as a kid. Sign of the times I guess. I played and mapped this over an entire summer in.my youth. Will never forget it

Torn on this, very cool that automap is being added but I think it loses something. As a kid I explored the dungeons an mapping them was part of the mystery of the experience. Granted don't have time for that now so it makes sense. I will still play it but I doubt anyone playing these will get the same experience I did as a kid. Sign of the times I guess. I played and mapped this over an entire summer in.my youth. Will never forget it

I think you'd be hard pressed to convince a sizable group of people to hand map something today.

I think you'd be hard pressed to convince a sizable group of people to hand map something today.

It's the single reason I'll never play Dungeon Master. I consider mapping by hand a waste of my time.

I'll be playing them all over again, I just hope that the mapping feature can be turned off. Didn't need them back then and don't want them now. I think this would make my fourth run through the entire series.

This isn't skarabrae...it's one of the other towns I believe...

The cool thing for me is that it is something with character instead of function alone. Playing some older games you notice there is a lot more character then spreadsheet windows....I like this.

Torn on this, very cool that automap is being added but I think it loses something.

Some versions had automap in the original. I believe the PC didn't get automap until BT3. Your not losing anything ;)

Was there an enhanced edition of the first one?

All 3 are being released at the same time I believe.

It's the single reason I'll never play Dungeon Master. I consider mapping by hand a waste of my time.

A reasonable compromise on this front is probably to do what I and others did:
Play Grimrock's "Back to the Dungeon" module. Whilst you're obviously experiencing the game within Grimrock's modern framework including its automap conveniences, its probably the closest outside of the real thing. :)

Personally, I don't mind doing some mapping every now and again if only for the nostalgia of it and to break-up the patterns and habitual tendencies that modern gaming has created. I did it for the first three dungeons on Eliminage Gothic and even for the short period I tested out Wizardry on the C64. Whilst they're not experiences I choose to have everyday, it is excellent fun when the right mood strikes nonetheless. :)

Back
Top Bottom