ELEX - First Reviews

Purchasing now to sustain the Piranhas. Will leave to cure for a few months.

The reviews sound like the usual piss-in-your-cornflakes variety.

"Oh, it sucks because I can't insta-kill anything/anyone I meet."

Just ignore the reviews bitching about difficulty. A huge influx of SJW reviewers into gaming has occurred, people who forgot video games are also about skill and aren't there just to give you handjobs.

That said, a challenging difficulty ELEX has is a huge plus for me. That alongside nonlinear exploration is the sole reason why I will try this game. What's particularly horrible however are wooden combat and HP bloat, sterile console UI and bland factions to name but a few. The setting I'm kind of indifferent about. At first glance it seemed interesting, before I realized it's a bunch of stuff lumped together without any soul or character. Mecha, swords, arrows, lasers, dinosaurs etc…

It's nothing like that, did you even view it?

Read some of the reviews, some of them are like that.
They got a copy, blazed through an hour or two and then made dumb comparisons.
One guy complained it was lacking " the reactive base building of fallout 4".. like wtf???

Gamereactor review describes and positively reviews the game, and in its concluding paragraph its mentions the technical issues and gives it a 6/10! Absolute grabage.

I did not see technical issues hindering reviewers giving Skyrim bright reviews and scores despite its awful technical issues at launch, nor Mass Effect: Andromeda or .. <insert AAA crap title>.

Skyrim was very playable at launch.

I expect the usual poor to mediocre reviews with the same complaints as PB's last 3 games at least, if not also adding in the first 2 Gothics. It shouldn't surprise anyone. PB makes their style of RPG and says "sales and mainstream appeal be damned." It works for them and the core fans and I'm glad they are one of the few left doing this type of style of RPG.

I expect the usual poor to mediocre reviews with the same complaints as PB's last 3 games at least, if not also adding in the first 2 Gothics. It shouldn't surprise anyone. PB makes their style of RPG and says "sales and mainstream appeal be damned." It works for them and the core fans and I'm glad they are one of the few left doing this type of style of RPG.

I'm also pumped you are looking forward to a game that you can't play on your tablet. Is this perchance a harbinger announcing the return of RPG-Fluent?

Man, what? Look at my YouTube channel sometime. :D Just started a Gothic 3 LP after recently finishing PS:T:EE and Gothic 2…

I can't think of any other new releases right now that are as interesting as ELEX. (I'm not interested in DOS2 after playing DOS1.) ELEX does have a lot of cheese in it though, so it might be one of those "It's so awful it's good!" games.

I can't think of any other new releases right now that are as interesting as ELEX. (I'm not interested in DOS2 after playing DOS1.) ELEX does have a lot of cheese in it though, so it might be one of those "It's so awful it's good!" games.

You really should give DOS2 a try, it is way better then 1.

You really should give DOS2 a try, it is way better then 1.

I agree with this. I got bored with DOS1 after a dozen or so hours but DOS2 is still enjoyable for me after several dozen hours so far. The story is much better.

I agree with this. I got bored with DOS1 after a dozen or so hours but DOS2 is still enjoyable for me after several dozen hours so far. The story is much better.

Yes, the story is much darker in DOS2 than DOS1 once you realize what is going on.

Metacritic already has 8 reviews up for ELEX so far (all non-English besides the ones posted here). Current score 73...

Last edited:
Metacritic already has 8 reviews up for ELEX so far (all non-English besides the ones posted here). Current score 73…

Risen 3 is currently at 65, and that was a very good game in my opinion. The main complaint for me was actually that it was a bit too easy, which ELEX seems to have fixed. That being said, Risen 3 was quite polished for a PB game, while ELEX sounds like it's got a bit of the old Gothic 3 thing going on. I really hope it's not that bad, and that a simple day 1 patch can fix most of the issues.

Please comment a lot on the exploration, which is the reason why I fell in love with Gothic 2, there was nothing else even remotely redeemable in that game except for exploration but it was enough to cover all the sins of the other elements and make a great game. :)

I don't actually know who's doing an "official" review of it around here, but someone's bound to. Whether I write that sort of thing or just impressions, I'll be sure to mention exploration in its own "chapter", as it's such an important part of any PB game. :)

Not much to worry about. There are several German reviews now, by people who played Elex all the way through. All I'm aware of are basically saying what Gamestar said. It's only a question of the rating you give it.
So it looks like the PB core strengths are better than ever. Difficulty early on is reportedly very high. Combat flashed nobody, so I'm a bit sceptical there. The release patch has already been made available to reviewers. The game seems to have quite a number of smaller issues. The only big problem I read about is a performance leak on the XBox. It comes down to a reboot every 4 hours to get a coffee.

I suppose he ment to say "impressed noone".
But if that's that, why being skeptical?

If anyone plays the game, can they report here? I didn't read any reviews but from YT clips it doesn't look & works really well.

Back
Top Bottom