Pillars of Eternity II - Three Expansions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Comicbook According to a press release Pillars of Eternity II will be getting three expansions.

According to a recent press release we received:

• The first downloadable-content pack (DLC), ‘Beast Of Winter‘ will be available in July 2018, and will take your party to an island populated by a mysterious doomsday cult, that hides an ancient secret. Players will get to experience adventuring in ‘The Beyond,’ a mysterious dimension populated by ancient souls and filled with devilish challenges.
  • The second DLC ‘Seeker, Slayer, Survivor’ available in September 2018, is a combat-focused expansion taking place on a previously undiscovered island that will challenge the martial prowess of your party, and your tactical skills as a commander, as you embark on a mission to rediscover ancient relics, and pit your party against Eora’s most skilled and savage.
  • The third DLC, ‘The Forgotten Sanctum’ available in November 2018, will test your party’s allegiance and morality in a quest to help (or obstruct) the great wizards of Eora. Will you befriend, betray or befuddle these venerable mystics as you uncover secrets lost to the generations? The consequences of your actions will be felt across the Deadfire Archipelago whatever you decide.
[...]
More information.

Well as I always said before just wait for the GOTY version with all the expansions a year or more after it's release. Seems to be the trend with Obsidian, Larian , and InXile.

I kind of agree. Telling us that there are going to be three expansions before year's end, with full descriptions of each one, feels like they're telling us about the things they left out of the game so they could sell them to us later. Still, I'll buy them. I guess I'm part of the problem.

I kind of agree. Telling us that there are going to be three expansions before year's end, with full descriptions of each one, feels like they're telling us about the things they left out of the game so they could sell them to us later. Still, I'll buy them. I guess I'm part of the problem.
Don't mind the extra cost, but just hate games being released piecemeal. At least Larian and inXile aren't doing it lately. Granted, their games got improved a lot after release too. Guess there's really nothing safe to play on release.

Don't mind the extra cost, but just hate games being released piecemeal. At least Larian and inXile aren't doing it lately. Granted, their games got improved a lot after release too. Guess there's really nothing safe to play on release.

You will never ever have a software that's considered 'done' on the release day. They will all be in working condition. Not unless game community (developers) define the 'DOD' (definition of done).

I'm in strong belief that game developers from days gone would have done the same thing that game developers from today are doing because everyone now has access to good internet. (Disclaimer: not talking about MTX, dlc, etc.. I'm talking about releasing a software)

Well I don't think it is that simple than just cutting content from the main product. Knowing how Obsidian operates, they likely haven't even finished & properly tested half of that content yet. If they wanted to add all that to main game, it would likely lead to an other delay.

You will never ever have a software that's considered 'done' on the release day. They will all be in working condition. Not unless game community (developers) define the 'DOD' (definition of done).

I'm in strong belief that game developers from days gone would have done the same thing that game developers from today are doing because everyone now has access to good internet. (Disclaimer: not talking about MTX, dlc, etc.. I'm talking about releasing a software)
I'm really talking about game content, not software. And it's certainly quite possible for game content to be "considered done" on release.

But yeah, you could make an argument that some of the games I brought up (ie recent Larian and inXile games) were done on release, content-wise.

Doesn't bother me so much when expansions tell an all-new story though, first example that comes to mind is NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer. Perhaps these PoE2 expansions are like that, don't know. Still prefer to wait until it's all out these days though.

I'm really talking about game content, not software. And it's certainly quite possible for game content to be "considered done" on release.

But yeah, you could make an argument that some of the games I brought up (ie recent Larian and inXile games) were done on release, content-wise.

Doesn't bother me so much when expansions tell an all-new story though, first example that comes to mind is NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer. Perhaps these PoE2 expansions are like that, don't know. Still prefer to wait until it's all out these days though.

Ah sorry. I misunderstand.

I'll give them benefit of a doubt, because you can have a content finished for the base game, while polishing and bug fixing other teams can start working on a future content. Or they could have cut content from the base game but like I said, I'll trust them on this part, it doesn't sound like what Bioware/EA did with ME3.

Best option is to wait and see :) There's more then enough game. Even though I backed them on fig, and bought dlc season pass I wont be playing this game soon.. Maybe not even in this year :D Too many games

I picked up the whole thing during the fig campaign. I'll probably play twice - once in june or july and again after the three expansions. Depends a little on initial bug list and consumer feedback. I hope htese expansions have real meat and are not bioware/ea style where major 2 hour portions of the story are missing.

I picked up the whole thing during the fig campaign. I'll probably play twice - once in june or july and again after the three expansions. Depends a little on initial bug list and consumer feedback. I hope htese expansions have real meat and are not bioware/ea style where major 2 hour portions of the story are missing.

That's my plan as well. Play through once on release and then play again in a year or so after all expansions and patches. It will almost be like playing two separate games.

I thought TWM was the best part of PoE1 so I'm going to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing for the expansions.

I could be wrong though.

As always, I will wait for the game of the year edition and play all of them together :)

I won't wait for anything.
It doesn't mean I'll buy those expansions however. The first one does seem interesting, but look at the second one's description, it says "a combat-focused expansion" which I read as "grindbased expansion". Time will tell if it's worth my time (and $) or not, I'm not planning to die soon.

Now I'm happy they went the fig route, had they done Kickstarter again, I'm sure I would have supported the second game as well. This way I can just sit back and wait until all the baking is done.

Well the expansions for PoE greatly improved the replay experience, so I'll probably play it through once or twice then wait a while and add in the expansions for an in-depth replay.

Back
Top Bottom