Skyrim - Favorite Mods @ PC Gamer

aries100

SasqWatch
PC Gamer has made a list of their ten favourite mods for this game. Here's two of them.
First one about removing spiders from this game and adding bears instead.
6. No Spider Mod
Arachnophobes like PC Gamer contributor Richard Cobbett have a hard time with games like Skyrim. Which is why No Spiders patches are so useful. This first attempt at a spider free Skyrim is particularly hilarious, as it replaces the models of the spiders with hilariously out of place bears.
And a mod to improve the akward interface in Skyrim
7. Interface Hard Coded key tweaks
Skyrim’s interface can be really awkward, Hard Coded key tweaks aims to improve that. Now you can (for instance) turn lockpicks with whatever direction keys you chose, not just WASD, and many other simple improvements
In other Skyrim news, PurpleHaze has reported in the official forums that after the savegame on the PS3 reaches around 6MB, the game becomes almost unplayable. If you play on PS3, this might be of interest to you.
More information.

Last edited:
In other Skyrim news, PurpleHaze has reported in the official forums that after the savegame on the PS3 reaches around 6MB, the game becomes available.

Please replace "available" with "buggy" (or at least with "unavailable" ;) ), from how I understood the linked original forum's entry.

Was Skyrim Flora Overhaul created by the same Vurt we know from the RPGWatch forum?

If so, congrats on completing this project so quickly! I will have to give it a whirl.

I'm surprised that so many mods are being made available before the release of the Creation Kit. Are people finding that mod files created for Bethesda's previous games are compatible?

Haven't had a crash since I changed my speaker audio to 44100 hz.

Sadly I couldn't find a way to do this on XP, so I too get regular periodic crashes to desktop. It's almost funny how instantaneous it is, if it weren't so annoying. The game just disappears.... It sure has nice clean crashes, though. :rolleyes:

It's a bit early for "x best mods" writeups without the construction set or new .nif format reverse engineered in my opinion. All that can be achieved at this point are:
1. Retextures.
2. Disable/Enable x feature by messing around with your .ini files.
3. Cheats.
4. Silly shit like that replace spiders with bears mod.
In the long run of these only the first category could be worth something. The real stuff however comes with the CS.

Simple borderless window may get rid of some of my crashes that COULD be caused by popup windows in my system tray when playing full screen. Worth a try...

I've played around 12 hours so far without a crash. Only glitch or bug I've seen is a few weird texture pop-ins, and even that's rare. A couple times when initiating dialog, the camera will be way off where it should be, putting the person out of frame, but that's happened only twice.

Getting 25-30 FPS on High graphic setting, 45-60 on Medium. Very impressed and happy with Skyrim so far.

I imagine so, since you can customize your hairstyle and cook. ;)

BTW I've had the dialogue direction be off by pointing people's feet or the corner of the room a few times. It's not too rare.

I've seen all sorts of graphics glitches. But that's to be expected I suppose. Most graphics glitches were minor to very minor.

One of my main irritants is characters or animals/monsters being invisible and/or transporting instantaneously across the room/scene.

For example, that first bear that companion warns you about under the fort. "See that bear?" he says. No. I think, "are my eyes that bad?" Then I walk over to the corner and the bear pops in and kills me. Not very fair.

I understand Arwen is working on a version of her Realism Tweaks for Skyrim. Really looking forward to some survival features like hunger, thirst, sleep deprivation, bleeding, etc.

I've played around 12 hours so far without a crash. Only glitch or bug I've seen is a few weird texture pop-ins, and even that's rare. A couple times when initiating dialog, the camera will be way off where it should be, putting the person out of frame, but that's happened only twice.

Getting 25-30 FPS on High graphic setting, 45-60 on Medium. Very impressed and happy with Skyrim so far.

The camera thing is not a bug if I read you correctly, the game allows you to move the camera while in dialog if you have the mouse on any edge of the screen. Disregard if this isn't the case for you. The Readme file actually has some extra instruction for the PC version UI, some kinda useful actually.

The current mods I have are a timescale mod, a mod that increases blood, a mod that increases the amount of time blood stays on your weapon, a mod that increases jump height, a mod that lowers stamina use on sprint, FXAA Injector, and a few re textures.

Broke down and bought the game after all, and having fun.

Just thought I would add re: the mods. I installed the texture packs for better faces (nice improvement) and the blood enhancement and body texture enhancements.

Since then I have run into several situations where when you loot armor from a body, you get the 'black' missing texture, or when a blood transparent patch is being drawn (such as a dead mammoth) the texture below goes invisible, resulting in invisible dead mammoth, etc. In every case, saving and reloading fixes the issue right away.

Looks from this and other comments on the net that the game engine is having problems loading custom textures correctly, even when they are direct replacements.

No issues with the face mods however, which also replace some meshes.

I hope in 3-4 years I am playing a mode called "Back to Bloodmoon." It's too damn obvious to not do it.

No mods for me except for any that fix random crashes or memory issues with this first playthrough. The battles are tough enough, the economy isn't broken and I'm not leveling up at the speed of light so I'm pretty happy with it just the way it is.

On my next playthrough all bets are off. I'm throwing everything and the kitchen sink in it. There should more quality mods out there by the time I'm ready to replay. A necessities mod will be first on my list. Too bad they didn't have the "hardcore" option like Obsidian had with New Vegas.

What difficulty level are you playing? I am playing with the default, and it's pretty easy so far. I only died once when was worked over by 3 thugs by surprise. Thinking up'ing the setting.

Havent played the game yet (only person in the world), but now the UI MOD is ready i am gonna play the game real soon.
For me the UI is to akward at the moment (till now).

What difficulty level are you playing? I am playing with the default, and it's pretty easy so far. I only died once when was worked over by 3 thugs by surprise. Thinking up'ing the setting.

I'm on expert. Default was too easy and master was way too hard….at least right now it is. If the battles start getting too easy then I'll switch to that, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I did something I have never done in the TES series, I ran from a dungeon. Not just ran, but ran screaming and then when I got out my character went into the fetal position and wouldn't stop saying, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home."

Seriously though I went into a dungeon and was doing ok until I came to a named boss battle. The enemies until then had been getting progressively harder, but this one….I threw everything at it including my scrolls. Tried every tactic, but it and it's cohorts are too tough for me at the moment. It was beautiful :)

It wasn't even a sidequest I was pursuing. I just found this dungeon on my way to another sidequest and wanted to see what was inside. It was balanced extremely well. The beginning had easy undead to kill. The middle started getting progresevily harder and the end…well just forget about it. They're too tough and I'm not lowering the difficulty. I'll just wait and come back when my skills are higher and have some better spells to throw at it.

Forget the default setting. It isn't for people like us who are used to RPGs. The expert or even adept is more our style. Don't go to master unless you really enjoy dying in one or two hits.

Back
Top Bottom