Solasta - Early Access Preview @ PC Gamer

In that recent video they seemed pretty clear that they're not making editing tools. They said they would try to do things in such a way that it would be possible for modders to do their own thing, but definitely no kind of campaign editor. I think they're probably intending to add more campaigns themselves, rather than making it a community tool for the time being.

Indeed that is what I remember from the live stream as well. Maybe we saw the same video (I saw it in the fextralife twitch).

Well then seems to be to many streams and Q&As with different answers then. Wonder if it turned out to be to much work for a small team, and they axed that idea then?:(

As that Q&A was only two months old. Right before the EA release.

Update: Latest Q&A Ripper was correct new DLC adventures that's it.:(
Can we expect multiple campaigns and if so, will all of these campaigns start the party off at level 1?

A: For launch you'll only have the main campaign, but adventure DLCs will likely be separate campaigns. Some may start at level 1, some may start at a higher level!

Perhaps some crossed wires somewhere. They seemed pretty clear that their workflow involved working very directly in the engine, and they didn't have any tools that would be suitable for general use. I think what they were also getting at, is that there's a tension between keeping the flexibility and richness of the game they're going for, and the need to make things more modular or tile-based for accessible community editing.

Imho this analogy is flawed. While it's true that in a tabletop game every PC is equally important, a player normally controls only one PC. And this PC is the center of the player's experience and immersion.
So if you want to emulate a tabletop experience you'd either have to go multiplayer or go single player with a main character that doesn't need to be the plot's main protagonist.

I agree with Morandiir and its damned shame there is no co-op.

People seem to like personality tag system well enough however also pointed out the flaw that there are too many dialogue cut scenes as a result where you just watch without much input.

Another decent review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG_AjOVw3nY

As this article, WolfheartFPS avoids the trap of a feature-by-feature comparison with BG3 and sees its proper merits, strong and weak points. Both agree that Solasta may be more for hardcore players, which I didn't realize at first but may be true. I hope there's still a market for the style, because I love it!

Do you think Tactical Adventures went too far?

Another decent review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG_AjOVw3nY

As this article, WolfheartFPS avoids the trap of a feature-by-feature comparison with BG3 and sees its proper merits, strong and weak points. Both agree that Solasta may be more for hardcore players, which I didn't realize at first but may be true. I hope there's still a market for the style, because I love it!

Do you think Tactical Adventures went too far?

Too far how?

I just finished EA. Took around 10 hours and characters reached lvl 4. Some minor bugs but was pretty darn stable. Enjoyed the combat system and was a nice generic setting.

I think if you're not familiar with the 5E rules it could be frustrating on some skill checks and the harder battles. I know how powerful the first lvl spell Hunters Mark is. So my ranger and wizard had it. I did not have a rogue and I figured out early my ranger should have had the criminal background to get the sleight of hand proficiency. That's used with thief tools to unlock doors and traps.

I think they went overboard on the height system and it didn't need to be used for every battle and new area. I would say 50% of the time would be the right amount. Enjoyed the combat and the difficulty was just about perfect. I can't wait for the full release and DLC's and mods hopefully.

I'm not trying EA for BG3 so not comparing the two. Solasta will need to add some more side quests and be a little more open world but I'm hoping that will come later.

Well, is it too much targeted at hardcore players?

I know (well, I think, based on what I'm reading here and on the Steam page) that I'm not the audience for it.

It's not that I don't like intricate mechanics. I'm a big Dominions fan, for example. But I have no time for nor interest in generic fantasy settings. Been there, done that, puts me to sleep.

And if you are going to give me a complex system, do something new and innovative. I play 5th Edition D&D IRL and it's not a very interesting system in and of itself. I much prefer a game like BG3 that borrows the depth of that system, adds its own mechanics to make it work better as a computer game, and blends that with an actual story and characters and stuff to give a shit about.

Last edited:
Well, is it too much targeted at hardcore players?

I don’t think so. If we’re comparing to BG3 it has a more complex character creation and delay an action and delay a turn. Other than that combat is pretty much the same. I fully expect that BG3 will add some of these things.

Realistically it’s probably less complex than Xcom. So , no I don’t think it’s too complex.

I know (well, I think, based on what I'm reading here and on the Steam page) that I'm not the audience for it.

It's not that I don't like intricate mechanics. I'm a big Dominions fan, for example. But I have no time for nor interest in generic fantasy settings. Been there, done that, puts me to sleep.

And if you are going to give me a complex system, do something new and innovative. I play 5th Edition D&D IRL and it's not a very interesting system in and of itself. I much prefer a game like BG3 that borrows the depth of that system, adds its own mechanics to make it work better as a computer game, and blends that with an actual story and characters and stuff to give a shit about.

Why do you assume it has no story or characters to care about.

This PC gamer review is poor. I’m not sure how much he actually played. He tells you about the goblin encounter and leaves out the following cutscenes , dialogue and dialogue checks with the survivors directly following the fight.

It’s presentation isn’t on par with BG3 but it’s a 17 person studio.

P.S. anyone know why posting from an iPad makes text like above. I usually copy my replies and the paste over it to get it right but I forgot this time and don’t want to take the time to fix it.

Why do you assume it has no story or characters to care about.

I'm not assuming anything. I wrote in plain English that I THINK it's not for me based on what people have said here and what I've read on the Steam page. I don't know about you, but I don't have infinite dollars and hours with which to play every game humankind produces.

I'm not assuming anything. I wrote in plain English that I THINK it's not for me based on what people have said here and what I've read on the Steam page. I don't know about you, but I don't have infinite dollars and hours with which to play every game humankind produces.
True to many games not enough money/time to play them all. I agree with you. I also agree about the story based on various reviews and opinions on this very forum.:nod:

I obviously don’t understand fucking English then so sick of people.

I play 5th Edition D&D IRL and it's not a very interesting system in and of itself.

How so? I have been playing PnP for quite some time now, and I think that D&D5 kind of revolutionized the tabletop RPG with its innovations. It's very simple and elegant. For this reason, I believe it became so popular. I have never seen D&D so popular as it is today.

Full disclosure: My group prefers to play Pathfinder, which I grew tired of given how complicated it is. These recent games (BG, Solasta) gave me the opportunity to revisit D&D5e, which I haven't played for a while. And now I am able to see now why so many people like 5e. It has so many good changes that I have overlooked in the past.

How so? I have been playing PnP for quite some time now, and I think that D&D5 kind of revolutionized the tabletop RPG with its innovations. It's very simple and elegant. For this reason, I believe it became so popular. I have never seen D&D so popular as it is today.

Full disclosure: My group prefers to play Pathfinder, which I grew tired of given how complicated it is. These recent games (BG, Solasta) gave me the opportunity to revisit D&D5e, which I haven't played for a while. And now I am able to see now why so many people like 5e. It has so many good changes that I have overlooked in the past.
I suppose one might say that for those who want a crunchy wargame 5E is too simple, while for those more into the narrative side of RPGs it is still too combat-oriented. And though there is some flexibility setting-wise, the core assumptions of D&D tend to lock you into rather uninspired fantasy settings.

I suppose one might say that for those who want a crunchy wargame 5E is too simple, while for those more into the narrative side of RPGs it is still too combat-oriented.

I understand. That kind of makes sense, except that I don't think that being combat-oriented means less RP or narrative. When some of my friends say that I tend to disagree. You can have both. But I know what you mean: there are some players that are just concerned with having a strong PC and rolling the dice -- with zero concern for RP.

And though there is some flexibility setting-wise, the core assumptions of D&D tend to lock you into rather uninspired fantasy settings.

That I completely disagree. D&D has many settings ranging from Eberron to Ravenloft. I wouldn't call those "uninspired".

I want to share something. The thing that I most like about Solasta: the design of the weapons. For the first time in ages, a warhammer in a video game is a proper warhammer, not a concrete block with a hilt! Look how badass my dwarf is now: https://imgur.com/a/AnuZsSu
AnuZsSu

I don't play PnP and haven't played D&D 5e but from what I read/heard 5e seem much more simplistic than 3.5e/Pathfinder. 5e might be less time consuming for PnP which may make the session more enjoyable but as a PC player, I think I'd prefer more complex system like Pathfinder/3.5e.

I understand. That kind of makes sense, except that I don't think that being combat-oriented means less RP or narrative. When some of my friends say that I tend to disagree. You can have both. But I know what you mean: there are some players that are just concerned with having a strong PC and rolling the dice -- with zero concern for RP.
I guess a better way to put it is that D&D's combat focus severely limits the type of characters you can make and the sort of stories you can tell, through the game mechanics, at least. You can do anything with improvisation, but the same goes for every RPG. If the bulk of one's time is spent devoted to improvisational acting/storytelling with maybe the odd roll, I'm not sure one's even playing D&D anymore. That's one for the gaming philosophers.
That I completely disagree. D&D has many settings ranging from Eberron to Ravenloft. I wouldn't call those "uninspired"
I know there are a lot of D&D settings out there, but they all strike me as generic D&D in a funny costume. Eberron is D&D but steampunk, Ravenloft is D&D but gothic horror, Dark Sun is D&D but post-apocalyptic… It's how like recently I saw someone complain about BG3 using Forgotten Realms and offering Shadowrun: Dragonfall as an alternative--but for me Shadowrun's just run-of-the-mill D&D mixed with run-of-the-mill cyberpunk. I don't know that smooshing two generic things together is my idea of creativity.

Back
Top Bottom