Dragon Age 2 - Preview @ Kotaku

Hehe, we would likely start seeing advertisements about how DA2 is "shift awesome" ;)

I'd say that we have to translate this statement as them actually whishing to attract what _they_ perceive as making the bulk of Fable fans : impatient teenagers uninterested by too "many" tactical options. /rolleyes.
Can't blame the teens for this one. (Well, OK, you can - but not justifiably.) I think it's more about the casuals, not the teens. People who want to play the game but who can't/won't dedicate 10+ hours every week to it. If you want to make these folks happy, you've got to design your game differently.

But I'm seeing the same thing Alrik is - why are so many games going to this!? It's like somebody figured out that boy bands are making the most money so the entire music industry, from the discos to the opera houses, are bulldozing everything they've done to concentrate on boy bands. I could see why the industry would make more low-commitment games than before but this is getting silly.

Zloth, eventually the whole gaming market will crash there are many issues with the infrastructure this being just one. I have conceded to my inner most self that the only way im going to get a decent PC game is through hungry Independent developers. I am very frustrated and disappointed ,angry and with Bioware i feel like they are trying to take advantage of gamers. No true gamer wants there gaming experience chopped into DLC or simplified and they KNOW THIS and DONT CARE as long as the checks keep comin its all good. You know what ... I will not support DA 2 its that simple i want to enjoy the game and play every bit of DLC BUT the real gamer inside wont let me.Support Indie games.

Hehe, we would likely start seeing advertisements about how DA2 is "shift awesome" ;)

Heh, I doubt it. That would be too much focus on the PC. It'd have to be "left-trigger awesome." :p

As I wrote in my blog some months ago, IMO Bioware is losing it's way. What made Bioware great were the RPGs, classic stuff like Baldurs Gate or even KOTOR. With each new game they lost more what IMO shapes a RPG and they went more and more into the action genre. Look at the way they took from ME to ME2. Skills were erased for the sake of making more a shooter with story, a mixture of FPS and adventure. By no means bad games, but surely not so great RPGs anymore.

Take the origins. To everyone I talked to the different origins were what made the game so great. You could play the race you wanted, and each had a different background which mattered through all of DA1. Now I get this… human… shoved in the face, this black bearded guy which always looks like a crossover of Lord Blackthorn, Captain Hook and Rasputin. Terrible. Yes you can make your hero look like you want, but still: who the devil made THIS design for the standard protagonist?

And all the details I read are indeed very discomforting and not setting my fears to peace. So far the art of vids I have seen looks… dull. Somehow all grey and brown and gritty and… boring.

Bioware is just losing the way. The changes in ME2, now DA2 and what I read about SWTOR just confirms me that they somehow have no clue anymore what makes RPGs great.

My Blog comment on DA2:
http://elikal.blog.com/2010/07/12/d...-direction-an-open-letter-from-a-bioware-fan/

Take the origins. To everyone I talked to the different origins were what made the game so great. You could play the race you wanted, and each had a different background which mattered through all of DA1. Now I get this… human… shoved in the face, this black bearded guy which always looks like a crossover of Lord Blackthorn, Captain Hook and Rasputin. Terrible. Yes you can make your hero look like you want, but still: who the devil made THIS design for the standard protagonist?

Bioware is just losing the way. The changes in ME2, now DA2 and what I read about SWTOR just confirms me that they somehow have no clue anymore what makes RPGs great.

So Gothic, The Witcher, Planscape:Torment and all the other great RPGs that have a pre-determined human male protagonist are clueless as well are they?

Uh-oh.

I see two things in this :

2. Attract Fable fans ? SURE ??? Fable fans would love to play a bloody, dark, gritty, grim role-playing game where characters are full of blood after every battle ??? FABLE FANS ???

This is just insane. You are trying to sell a death metal music album to a lover of simple, almost innocent pop music.

Fable is rated M, keep in mind.

Still, I do agree that Fable is an entirely different type of game.

But Fable stands here rather between casual games.
Probably partly because of its cover.
But they also put Gobliiins 4 into children's games.

Fable is rated M, keep in mind.

Still, I do agree that Fable is an entirely different type of game.

I still cant understand how a game like fable can get a M rating.

I'm willing to bet it has to do with "sexual suggestions" or similar ;)

Are parents particularly aware of these ratings, though?

fable is for casual gamer that plays nothing but shooter and wants to walks on the wild side and expand there minds .

Back
Top Bottom