What games are you playing now?

CS:GO. hooked up on CS way back in 2003. As I don't have a lot of time usually i just fire it up for about 20 mins once or twice a day. A time that would not allow me to to get deeper into any RPG.

I'd say go for D:OS for the best RPG combat experience in years. It would be nice if it spawned a new wave of turn-based awesomeness, but I doubt it.

I consider D:OS a FAR better game than DA:O, even though I enjoyed both. Mind you, if you haven't yet played FK than you should try that first; I KNOW it will appeal to you!! :)
I'm about 3/4 thru Frayed Knights. It's kinda a love/hate relationship for me. The personality of the game is stellar but there are a few things about the combat that really irritate me. I've found that I've got to space it out or the irritation overcomes the enjoyment.

To me, this seems a no brainer. You are the king of Wiz 8 love and D:OS is all about tactical combat, much like Wiz 8. Play it on max hard and lovingly craft your party into killing machines.

Note: I haven't played Inquisition at all and I've only played about 1/3 of Sin. Of course I've played the 1/3 2000 times :)

Lords of the fallen added to my catalogue last weekend and taking chunck sized bites from it, just killed the 2nd boss and now I'm getting used to the controls. Not sure if I go 2h or 1h+shield on my warrior though, any suggestions?

I didn't like how slow 2 handed weapons were as I always play a des build in games. Fast attacks, rolls and stealth.

I played mostly dual weapon or sword and shield. I like the shield bash also for staggering large enemies and knocking down smaller ones. Also the only way to open most hidden areas is shield bash so I often wanted my shield handy. Also I didn't have much strength so heavy weapons meant a slow or fat roll which is unacceptable for my play style.

My brother beat the game as a tank with a two hander though so either is possible obviously. I've read that if you want a tougher experience then a thief type is the way to go and if you want an easier experience then play with a warrior tank style.

Hmmm, I'm enjoying Venetica. Is Lords of the Fallen similar? I thought it was mostly a combat game with very little else to do than fight....

It's got some decent exploration as far as secret areas and what not, a little more story than dark souls and some character progression, but it is 93.6% combat.:)

You are the king of Wiz 8 love and D:OS is all about tactical combat, much like Wiz 8.

Yeah, but unlike Wiz8, the battles in D:OS all play exactly the same and grow excruciatingly more tedious and boring as the game progresses. The only differentiating factors from fight to fight are the gimmicks in the environment - oil, water, etc - but even that becomes fairly forgettable as you progress through the game.

Love Wiz8/M&M, have yet to go back to my level 18 character in D:OS to finish the game.

I agree with this too. I found 'Sin' best at the early levels when you didn't necessarily have all the spells to deal with the environmental challenges.

As I said on other threads, I am playing Bioshock Infinite. Definitely engaging, but the checkpoint save system is really bumming me out. I'd love to experiment with this sort of system and environment but feel restrained to avoid tedious replay…

Last edited:
Re the environmental challenges: I'm not too fond of that kind of design either. BioShock was similar with all the conveniently placed puddles to electrocute enemies etc. - It is fun for a while but after some time the levels start to feel unnatural and like themeparks specifically set up just for the purpose of applying the gimmicks given to the player. I do not like this "technical" sort of gameplay where you can almost virtually see the level designer pulling the strings.
Obsidian and BioWare games are often times similar in the dialogue department where you can also see right through the dialogue tree and spot the designer's breadcrumb trail to where he wants you to follow it. It just feels unnatural and stilted. In fact, it sometimes almost feels like attending a game design class and getting a lecture on level or dialogue design instead of playing the game.

Was going to download Wasteland 2, but reading they're switching to Unity 5 for next patch, I think I'll wait. So I downloaded Deus Ex: Human Revolution instead from my queue, let's see how that one goes.

Good choice, it's the better game of the two.

hmm.. not necessarily for me. I don't like FPS RPGs so for my taste it'd have to be a really extremely awesome game to compete with even an average party based RPG.

Well, what do you know, it seems I had already tried to play Deus Ex before. After installing the game, I noticed Steam says I had already played the game for 6 hours, which means I already tried it and didn't like it, but didn't remember. I decided to give it a chance anyway. Interestingly, I couldn't remember the story at all. I sort of remembered there was a place with several doors next to one another where I could hack entrance. That was all I remembered from my first attempt.

I also think I tried a 'sneak' playthrough the first time, but got fed up with that and that was the reason I abandoned it, so I decided to go for a guns-blazing approach. Still, I really don't care much for FPS/RPG games so don't think I'll be finishing the game this time either.

Obsidian and BioWare games are often times similar in the dialogue department where you can also see right through the dialogue tree and spot the designer's breadcrumb trail to where he wants you to follow it. It just feels unnatural and stilted. In fact, it sometimes almost feels like attending a game design class and getting a lecture on level or dialogue design instead of playing the game.

That's a good way of describing it, and it's stronger if you've done any work with dialogue trees. Even worse is when they try to tick the "puzzle" checkbox. If I ever see the Tower of Hanoi clumsily shoved into a game again I might projectile vomit.

I haven't made it far enough in D:OS to get sick of combat yet, but I can see how it might get tedious if they don't evolve it to keep it feeling fresh. While I love the combat system and have fun setting off weird chain reactions, I do wish the encounter design didn't focus quite so much on battlefield control. It would be nice to have the occasional battle where you just fight some guys. :p

Guns ablazing approach in HR is still half sneak half guns. Thats the route I went also. The beginning is the least interesting part I thought. Once I got a few hours in and a few upgrades I really started to enjoy the game.

I restarted DX:HR myself (because of all the recent DX talk), although sneaking all the way for me, might change overtime like in the previous DX games (I tend to start all sneaky and end up "kill'em all!"). I tried starting gun blazing twice for DX:HR and both time it just felt wrong to me.

In fact, I pulled the trigger (tranq gun) twice so far and both time were in the first mission. I'm starting to think that I should just sell my two weapons (tranq gun and pistol) because I never use them. I didn't even use them against the first bosses because of the Director's cut improvement.

I don't even know what to do with my augs selection either, because I got everything I need and I'm not even half-way through the game. Stealth gameplay gives you way too much XP and require the less aug improvements.

I didn't like how slow 2 handed weapons were as I always play a des build in games. Fast attacks, rolls and stealth.

I played mostly dual weapon or sword and shield. I like the shield bash also for staggering large enemies and knocking down smaller ones. Also the only way to open most hidden areas is shield bash so I often wanted my shield handy. Also I didn't have much strength so heavy weapons meant a slow or fat roll which is unacceptable for my play style.

My brother beat the game as a tank with a two hander though so either is possible obviously. I've read that if you want a tougher experience then a thief type is the way to go and if you want an easier experience then play with a warrior tank style.

Thanks for your reply, I did notice that 2-handers are very slow and so it's hard to get blows in quick enough to interrupt enemies and whatnot. I'll try 1h and shield and also a rogue type before I go on :)

Built my character for Dragon Age and got started, then Steam decided to put Torchlight2 on sale for pocket lint. Purchase made, mindless hack-n-slash well under way. Don't generally like this type of game, but for some strange reason the Torchlight games have really been fun.

With the recent pc upgrade I've just randomly decided to pick up some games that will really push it to its limits. And I've kind of stumbled on Assassin's Creed Unity. Well, besides the controversy surrounding it, it's one of the most beautiful games graphics wise. Character models are just great, and the acting is more than decent. I was surprised at how many times I just stopped and gawked at how beautiful it looks. The city is gorgeous. They really nailed the lighting. I'm also running it with everything on max, and it runs pretty buttery-smooth. Call me surprised.

Think I'll wait for unity 5 too. I just hope my wl2 save still works.

Did I mention chrono trigger ? It's fun so far, it's easy but that's good. Still trying to figure out why many people think it's the pinnacle though. Combat starts to get a but of a drag and just click through it (though no random encounters!). Sometimes I think it's because it's was ahead of its time. But then again, released in 95 it's not that old. Baldurs gate came out 3 years latet

Back
Top Bottom