The TV Series discussion thread

I never watched Babylon 5, Black Lagoon nor Vikings nor I plan to.
But DS9 was IMO the best ST series.

It depends on what people look for in it. DS9 is the series with the most pew pewing for sure, but I liked The Next Generation much better. In fact I would say my order of preference is:
1- The Next Generation
2- tie: Voyager and The Original Series
4- Deep Space 9
5- Enterprise

It depends on what people look for in it. DS9 is the series with the most pew pewing for sure, but I liked The Next Generation much better. In fact I would say my order of preference is:
1- The Next Generation
2- tie: Voyager and The Original Series
4- Deep Space 9
5- Enterprise

Close, but I'd say:

1. TNG
2. TOS/DS9 tied
3. Enterprise
4. Voyager

:)

Close, but I'd say:

1. TNG
2. TOS/DS9 tied
3. Enterprise
4. Voyager

:)

Pretty similar:
1. Next Generation
2. 'Star Trek' (since I went >15 years as a fan before TNG, it is like how I will always think of it as 'Star Wars', not 'Ep IV')
Last. Voyager

I found Enterprise unengaging, and also just never really connected enough with DS9 to become a loyal watcher, so I can't really rank those. We watched a bunch of Voyager, but it was largely 'TNG afterglow' and really don't hold them as any real fond memories.

Actually, I've only enjoyed TNG > DS9/TOS - but I had to place the others somewhere :)

I found Enterprise a competent, if very dull show, with SOME potential. Voyager, however, I simply despised - apart from a few episodes with neat twists on old ideas.

I don't know why, but I disliked almost the entire cast, and I particularly hated Janeway and Neelix.

That's not helpful when trying to enjoy a show :)

Wrong. Babylon >>>> TNG > ds9. ;)

Didn't watch the other st series.

I think Bab 5 and TNG are about equal, each in their own way.

Bab 5 has a powerful narrative and story arc - as well as the best character duo of any SF show, but it's got nothing on Trek/TNG when it comes to making me think. Also, it's a bit too Tolkien inspired and G'Kar goes a bit over-the-top in the Dalai Lama direction towards the end :)

OK, I can't resist.

I agree with Dart re. TNG=Bab 5 for different reasons, though
then comes
TOS (for me, it's nostalgia perhaps, and some really great episodes like City on the Edge of Forever).
It's a close call between Voyager and DS9, but both are far behind TOS for me.
Last comes Enterprise. Couldn't get interested. Never really liked Scott Bakula, for some reason.

OK, I can't resist.

I agree with Dart re. TNG=Bab 5 for different reasons, though
then comes
TOS (for me, it's nostalgia perhaps, and some really great episodes like City on the Edge of Forever).
It's a close call between Voyager and DS9, but both are far behind TOS for me.
Last comes Enterprise. Couldn't get interested. Never really liked Scott Bakula, for some reason.

I really liked the premise of Enterprise, but for some reason the producers decided to ignore the premise and introduce some time traveler shenanigans. Had they stuck to the premise, exploring the origins of the Federation, introducing the Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, Andorians, etc, it would have been so much more interesting. Unfortunately they only really did this in the last season, when the damage was already done.

shenanigans
This is one word I never understood what it really means.
It does sound like a certain japanese word, but the meaning can't be the same based on it's web use.

Enterprise tends to get a bad rap (and it sure as hell took me a while to get used to Sam Beckett as the captain) but it was definitely better than Voyager for me, the latter being incredibly trite and corny with some whizbang technobabble saving the day nine out of ten times.

I never liked ST: DS9; Star Trek is supposed to be about a… trek. Not sitting still on glorified guard duty.

You sure?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinigami_(Death_Note)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_god_(Japan)

Shinigami (死神?, literally "death god") are the race of extra-dimensional beings who survive by killing humans to extend their own lives. Shinigami are not responsible for every death that occurs; people will eventually die regardless of whether or not the Shinigami pay attention to them, but a Shinigami can end their lives sooner than intended for their own benefit.

Your three explanations smell like that, only not deeds performed by devious gods but something or someone else.

Last edited:
Yes I'm sure don't know how you thought Shinigami had anything to do with shenanigans. Two completely different things, but I'm not surprised.;)

My guess is you either read to much manga, or watched to much anime.:biggrin:

Not really, it's just that the word sounds too different from english so I can't place it anywhere.

And I've googled more, if I'm seeing it right seems it's origin is actually gaelic irish:
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/142498/where-do-shenanigans-come-

Original gaelic Irish word 'sionnachuighm' meaning to play tricks - rough pronunciation at that time 'shinnuckeem'

In any case I'm interested about this particular word, if not really of japanese or irish origin, where exactly did it come from?
And I can't find a proper explanation anywhere. This is a good try, but it still says:
The origin of “shenanigan” is considered “unknown,” but several possibilities have been suggested
http://www.word-detective.com/2011/10/shenanigan/

Well according to English dictionaries the origin of the word is unknown.:thinking:

These possibilities have been suggested though:

1. Irish sionnachuighim (“I play the fox”).
  2. Spanish chanada, a shortening of charranada (“trick", "deceit”).
  3. Palatinate German schinägeln (“to work hard”), from the peddler's argot term Schenigelei ("work").
  4. French ces manigances (“these fraudulent schemes”).
Update: I see you edited your post again so mine is now meaningless .;)

Last edited:
Thanks for that post.
But that word is IMO very interesting thing. I wasn't born with english in my ear :p but I assure you, to anyone who learned english as a second (or third or… language) that word really doesn't sound like english. :)
Maybe I should go study linguistics instead of playing games, what d'ya say? Nah... I'll leave the dirty work to others. :evilgrin:

Well the English language in America is a melting pot of various words.:D
Maybe I should go study linguistics instead of playing games, what d'ya say? Nah… I'll leave the dirty work to others.
I would say don't as the class is very boring. You will literally fall asleep.:sleep:

It's not just english, all languages are a living matter. And it's a good thing. We always need new words - without them we wouldn't ever be able to describe new stuff fast. In this case it's just one word needed to describe "a devious trick used especially for an underhand purpose". IMO, better a proper word, than crap abbr. like FPS which is sometimes frames per second (why don't we use one word for that like frequency or something?) and sometimes first person shooter.
And there are "quality" fresh wordcombos like pixel or pel that came out from "picture element". I love them. Sure we could have used "dot" instead, but then we should talk about picture dots which would sometime be confusing if there are actual dots displayed on the picture. ;)

Thanks for that post.
But that word is IMO very interesting thing. I wasn't born with english in my ear :p but I assure you, to anyone who learned english as a second (or third or… language) that word really doesn't sound like english. :)
Maybe I should go study linguistics instead of playing games, what d'ya say? Nah… I'll leave the dirty work to others. :evilgrin:

The same is true for many English words, due to the Saxon and Norman invasions as well as modern languages intertwining within it.

English has many loanwords and its wiki article is very very long:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_English_words_by_country_or_language_of_origin

This French one is quite comprehensive and will show you a lot :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin

Threadolution. Threadkiller. Slang is much more interesting than old English. For the latter watch vikings.

I'm loving homeland ATM. I'm at the end of season 1 and so far it has great characters and most importantly nothing is dragged out. Every couple of episode something interesting and different happens, keeping the pace up.
Unlike supernatural.

Back
Top Bottom