Kingmaker - Meet the New Turn-Based Option

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
IGN takes a look at the new turn-based mode for Pathfinder: Kingmaker that has been introduced for the console ports. The turn-based mode will be coming to PC also.

In its official implementation, you can simply click in the right thumbstick to turn it on or off at any time - and yes, you can play with a gamepad on PC too, if you like. For instance, Mishulin brought his party to an encounter with a pack of three Greater Worgs. (If you're unfamiliar with Pathfinder: Kingmaker when diving in, it will remind you a lot of Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic, but with an old-school Baldur's Gate-style isometric camera perspective.) You cannot queue attacks with turn-based combat, but it seems to flow pretty quickly if you want it to; you attack with the next party member up, then it cycles immediately to the next character's turn. If the battle ends up obviously decided at any point, you can simply click in on the right thumbstick again to switch back to real-time combat so that the fight will end sooner and you can move on. You can also pause anytime in real-time combat, give orders, then unpause and your orders will be executed by your party.

[...]
More information.

Yay another game that gets a turn-based option years after release.

Now notice my lack of caring. Moving on.:movingon:

I sank 370 hrs into this game and all the dlc, if it had been turnbased…I can't even imagine how long it would have took me. :S

I sank 370 hrs into this game and all the dlc, if it had been turnbased…I can't even imagine how long it would have took me. :S
Yep I'm fine with shorter RPGs being turn-based, but RPGs that take over 40+ or more hours take a lot longer to finish. One reason why I liked the new Torment game.

Its the same problem I have with OS 1&2 the combat takes to damn long.

I'm playing with the turn-based mod and half-way through the game (completionist) took me 130 h so far.

It is slower, but it is also so much better than rtwp.

Wish more RPG games like Disco Elysium & Torment: Tides of Numenera were released more. It's refreshing to see RPGs that don't require combat, or make it optional.

Anyway congrats to those who only enjoy TB RPGs. Enjoy.:)

But you’re excited about Yakuza which change to TB combat??
Yep biased as I love JRPGs.:cool:

Anyway never said I don't play TB just don't prefer it.:p

Also watch the video it doesn't look or play as the usual TB RPG.

Yep biased as I love JRPGs.:cool:

Anyway never said I don't play TB just don't prefer it.:p

Also watch the video it doesn't look or play as the usual TB RPG.

Yeah, i watched the video. Girls with purses for weapons and enemies with trash can lids for shields isn’t for me. I’m hooked on fantasy setting.

Hope you enjoy it though. Kingmaker does still have RTWP option at least.

I can enjoy most combat systems except for diablo style and isometric shooter.

Last edited:
Turn-based option would have made the game playable for me... I feel now it's too late. Who knows, maybe I find myself bored at some point and give it a go, the game itself wasn't bad, if not because the last half the game was half-baked and buggy and the realm management thing was obnoxious as hell (personal opinion there, I know others found it interesting).

PoE2 and Kingmaker are first games where I feel something positive came from release on consoles.

PoE2 and Kingmaker are first games where I feel something positive came from release on consoles.
Funny enough the stats showed more liked RTwP. The fans who wanted TB where just more vocal in their opinion as usual on the internet. Owlcat had an update on that.

Bottom line everyone's happy now.:)

If we have a second wave of the virus we may all have enough time to play Kingmaker in turn-based mode. ;)

I'll try Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. That will have a turn-based option from the start.

I'm playing with the turn-based mod and half-way through the game (completionist) took me 130 h so far.

It is slower, but it is also so much better than rtwp.

yep what i thought. gonna buy it most certainly when the turnbased option is included.

If we have a second wave of the virus we may all have enough time to play Kingmaker in turn-based mode. ;)

haha, yeh for me to finish al those games i need a third wave.
Still didnt play fantasy general DLC

I've played some with the turn-based mod and liked it. Didn't get too far. This official turn-based mode will pull me back in. …Now would be a better time for this Definitive Edition though. That late August release date is too close to the Crusader Kings 3 release on September 1st.

Will this definitive edition offer anything else? Wonder if it’s worth waiting for to start my play through or if I should just use the TB mod?

I assume the definitive upgrades are free to those that own kingmaker already?

Wondering the same thing... couldn't get into it with the RTwP combat but might give it another spin with TB mode.

I wonder if we're seeing the emergence of a new trend in western isometric RPGs... RTwP and TB included? It pleases everyone! It's like if Trump and Obama were president at the same time ... everyone would be happy.

Nah, just kidding, people would still find things to bitch about. =)

Will this definitive edition offer anything else? Wonder if it’s worth waiting for to start my play through or if I should just use the TB mod?

as far as i know, the the mod is a bit less tuned

Back
Top Bottom