Gothic - Series 75% Off on Steam

Well most of it. You went kind of Dartish with the wall of text there. I agree with some of your points but you seem to be on a mission to discount the average gamers perception of difficulty. Most people game for fun and dying constantly while exploring and mounting frustration cause many to give up on a game like Gothic. Not sure how you don’t see that. It’s what is killing Elex as well. No amount of willful denial is going to improve reviews or sales numbers. After about 10 hours of off quest solo exploring I called it quits. Could I keep going? Sure. But it simply isn’t fun. The average gamer has a lot less patience than I do.

K....

I have Risen 2 & 3 sitting in my Steam queue. I'll eventually give them a shot. Can't wait for the stun lock :)

To me, G1 & 2 seemed inspired by 1990s style RPGs like Ultima, but with updated graphics (for their day) and 3D worlds. But the gothic games kept that vibe of "this world is dangerous." Contrast that to contemporary games where players are used to scaling and you can for the most part mow through areas without much difficulty. As much as I loved the Witcher 3, combat never seemed hard (on hardest difficulty). To me, early RPGs contrasted to contemporary ones are like comparing black and white movies from the 1940s to your latest blockbuster movie… generations are separated apart and the more time that goes by, the more that bridge between generations crumbles. I for one, never liked watching old black and white movies, though I'm told by those who love them I'm really missing out on a lot of great content…

Maybe I've had a little too much wine, but I feel like there is a beautiful truth to this post.

Fluent is BG1 worth picking up just for DragonSpear? Do I need to play the OC to access that content? Not sure I'm ready yet for another round of BG's OC.

Fluent is BG1 worth picking up just for DragonSpear? Do I need to play the OC to access that content? Not sure I'm ready yet for another round of BG's OC.

I'm not sure if it's standalone or not. You can select the campaign at the menu screen of BG:EE so I guess it is?

BG is worth picking up for Dragonspear + mod content, IMO. There's some cool quest content like The Drizzt Saga, The Sandrah Saga and more. Mods add new areas, there's several new NPCs you may want to try (Finch + Isra are cool) and other tweaks like SCS which improves encounters and makes battles more tactical (improves enemy types like trolls, spiders, etc., makes the AI better.) There's lots of cool stuff.

That's not mentioning the big mod, EET, which combines the trilogy into one continuous game. I like it quite a bit so far for keeping things consistent and at least giving the feeling that you're playing one huge, consistent campaign. So I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Not sure how someone who's played a ton of BG would feel. I only completed BG:EE once a few years back.

I still have the trilogy gathering dust somewhere. I tried playing the first game and just didn't enjoy it. I said "Imma try this again some other day" but guess I just don't care for the type of game as I didn't enjoy Elex either.

It's different from Elex.
No trashmob respawns in Gothic (the world does get repopulated with harder hostiles but only when you progress a chapter).

I enjoyed Elex much more than I thought I would, and I've still not removed it off my hard drive because I hope that PB will release an expansion for it, although I'm sure that's just a pipe dream for me.

And I thought I was a PB fanboy. ;)

You are that of course. Quite a few of us here are. That said, you were probably a PB fanboy before he was ever looking for a rusty dagger or knew one even existed. ;)

I actually first started exploring the 'Watch for threads and chatter regarding Gothic II during my first ever non-NotR play-through in early 2007 or so. It was reassuring and fun to read like-minded players enjoying it as much as I was, digesting and describing its virtues. Thus reading praise for it so many years later often feels like the proverbial "preaching to the choir" and the critics can tend to go vehemently overboard in the attempts to bring the series down a peg or two.

I suspect it'll be somewhat in vain though, as I do think the series will always have a sentimental place in many 'Watchers hearts; whether that's a plainly naive projection on my part, time will tell. :)

Back
Top Bottom