arx fatalis 7.95 on steam

curious

liberty or license
personally i'm not a fan of steam but this seems really cheap for an downloadable game. arx fatalis is a good game, so there's no excuse now to not try it. however make sure you have some headache medicine ready at hand!

I bought and played the game when it first came out. I'm VERY disappointed that Arx 2 has not been made.

I have never been able to play the demo, so I never bought the game.
The game kept crashing or turning dark when the game started. After the intro, the PC either restarted or crashed or the screen just went dark , but I could hear myself move.
Quite weird, I know.

Sounds like a video conflict perhaps!!

I set up a Steam account just because of this newsbit (I already gave away my "hardcopy" of the game years ago) - after I finished Dark Messiah of M&M recently, it left me with strange feeling that Arx had far better atmosphere years back, so I needed to confirm it. Now I can play it at 1280x1024 with better sound(card) and my feeling is more than confirmed. I still want to hope Arkane will not be acquired by Valve for source-based shooters (this is not based on any facts, just my pesimistic forecast).

New graphics card drivers (nvidia atleast) have missing textures in Arx Fatalis. But there is a fix for it if you need it. Currently the game works all ok on my core2duo+8800GTS.

Arx Fatalis is a must have/must finish game in the spirit of ultima underworld 1&2. Its a honest fact IMHO.

It was a surprisingly good game back then. Too difficult, but very atmospheric (hubby won it, and since he doesn't play non-sports/non-strategy games, he gave it to me). Very dense atmosphere, but some rather difficult quests (you could flunk several just by not doing things in the correct order).

It was a surprisingly bad game back then. Really, I was highly disappointed with the game when I bought it. I somehow expected an Underworld 3, but the cliché-ridden story, the linearity, the skillsystem, the protagonist, the characters, the leveldesign, the shallow backgroundstory, the stupid plot, the boring enemies and so on destroyed the experience for me. Atmosphere - well, ok. But gameplay and story? No.

Arx Fatalis is a must have/must finish game in the spirit of ultima underworld 1&2. Its a honest fact IMHO.

No, it isn't. E.g., Ultima Underworld 1&2 have dialog-options. Don't insult these classics.

Hindukönig;24953 said:
It was a surprisingly bad game back then. Really, I was highly disappointed with the game when I bought it. I somehow expected an Underworld 3, but the cliché-ridden story, the linearity, the skillsystem, the protagonist, the characters, the leveldesign, the shallow backgroundstory, the stupid plot, the boring enemies and so on destroyed the experience for me. Atmosphere - well, ok. But gameplay and story? No.

Sorry Hindukonig , but you're going to be pretty much alone with that opinion of Arx Fatalis here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really love Arx ... played some of it again a several months back. My main problem was that there were many points where I thought there were no real clues what to do next. One of my very few walkthrough consultations ...

yes the game was a believable world full of atmosphere. the chances of completely the game without a walkthrough are about the same any of us would have of actually surviving if thrown in a dungeon.

I really liked Arx as well, my only complaint is the low level cap.

I would love to hear news of an Arx 2.

I think answering questions on Ark, built up my post count both at the Dot and the 'old' Jowood boards!! :) I wonder if Beth would ever buy that licence!!!! :biggrin:

Arx Fatalis demo blew me away. Got that old school rpg feeling about dungeon exploring. It took some time getting it here in sweden, but i remember quite vividly the feeling before christmas when i finally got it.

The riddles was pretty hard and you got depended on some good walktrough in time of need. (thanks DOT. :) But i also remember the great satisfaction when you moved on WITHOUT using it...

Somehow I didn't finished the game. Got sick of some jumping galore (if i remember correctly)... But its rare me finishing a game so, i won't hold it against it.

If arx 2 where about to enter life i would be thrilled. Got sad when i heard that they did a multiplayer version of Might and Magic, with no feeling for that genre... at all. They should have put all there effort to a sequel... :)

Sorry Hindukonig , but you're going to be pretty much alone with that opinion of Arx Fatalis here.

Yeah, I already knew that. Doesn't concern me a bit. It always amuses me when somebody states things like Arx Fatalis had a "believable world". That would be something I really didn't like about Arx: in that world wasn't anything believable. For example, the snake-women looked for that secret hideout for years - but that hideout was so big it was hilarious. The rat-men didn't have a civilization at all, they just stood in strange rooms and did nothing. The city of men was lifeless and boring.
The whole world was just too ... artificial, if you just think a little bit about it.

Last edited:
Not to be too stupid or soo, but. Beliveable world? I am replaying Baldurs Gate now, and that game is driving me crazy. Thats a no "beliveable world". Great to see Gorions friend being Level 1. And .. well, but its a good game to return to.

So, i do not belive i have played a game that has a world thats "beliveable". I have played alot of games that immersed me. And Arx was one of them. Warts and all.

But i know what you mean. The world doesn't work for you. There is some game thats impossible for me to like due to illogical stupid thing. Although Arx in its confined space worked for me exellent for me. I do remember having some stupid thoughts of the snake people, but ... not any showstopping ! :)

I have to agree mute. If I want believable I will sit in my living room. :lol: I found Arx very immersing. But we all have our own tastes thank goodness.

The poor snake ladies and the rat men were cut out due to the sudden rush to complete the game placed on the Dev's. It was a matter of finish it as is or loose their publisher. I just hope they get a chance to go back and do Arx2.

Hindukönig;24953 said:

No, it isn't. E.g., Ultima Underworld 1&2 have dialog-options. Don't insult these classics.

There will most likely never be another game more close to those classics than Arx Fatalis. Infact its a rare opportunity to get a game like this to continue som classic series. You are insulting the developers of Arx Fatalis for the honor they did to the series.

Back
Top Bottom