Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced

Either scum save or don't it is not a feature of the game but a feature of the player.

When a battle can take an hour through three phases and you die on the third phase because you weren't prepared or didn't quickly enough understand what had to be done pretty much means you have to savescum unless you enjoy replaying hour long battles.

If you are a save scumming sort don't complain if the game allows you to be what you are; if you are religiously against save scumming then don't complain if others save scum. The game allows maximum flexibility by allowing players to play as they wish.

When a battle can take an hour through three phases and you die on the third phase because you weren't prepared or didn't quickly enough understand what had to be done pretty much means you have to savescum unless you enjoy replaying hour long battles.

This thread just reminds me I still have to finish Valkyria Chronicles & Valkyria Chronicles 4. Yes seems I barely finish most games as new games pull me away. Damn Steam Sales.

If you are a save scumming sort don't complain if the game allows you to be what you are; if you are religiously against save scumming then don't complain if others save scum. The game allows maximum flexibility by allowing players to play as they wish.

You're missing my point entirely but okay.

This thread just reminds me I still have to finish Valkyria Chronicles & Valkyria Chronicles 4. Yes seems I barely finish most games as new games pull me away. Damn Steam Sales.

Yep, same happens to me. Too many cool games out there. :nod:

I don't habitually save during the battle sequences, but I do enjoy a game that lets me save exactly when I feel like stopping, and for that reason I give thanks. I should be able to save and stop when I feel/need to do so, not have to play or hunt another ten minutes for some save spot that the developer threw in where they thought it "should" be.

No. I understood your point. You have problem with the combat so you save scum. Personally I could care less if people save scum or not. However, mentioning that you like to savescum seemed kind of an odd point to make - and the way you expressed it (after all scum is a loaded term) suggested it was a negative of the game. Anyway enjoy your save scumming.

You're missing my point entirely but okay.

still never got through 3. Game is good though, but a bit too easy with the save during battle feature. You can easily savescum in every fight.
There is 3? Never heard about it.

It's true you can save after every move in both VC and VC4. Unless you need to go for a coffee or something I have no idea why would you do that really. Assuming you've unlocked special powers in your squadmates. If you didn't, well, I guess you'd want to avoid the penalties kicking in randomly, but then again who fastruns games on this site?! For all I know everyone here explores the most if not all of the possible sidecontent in every title.

There is sort of a 3; it just isn't a PC 3. IT is suppose to be better than the awful VC-2 but did not make it to the west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyria_Chronicles_III

It's true you can save after every move in both VC and VC4. Unless you need to go for a coffee or something I have no idea why would you do that really. Assuming you've unlocked special powers in your squadmates. If you didn't, well, I guess you'd want to avoid the penalties kicking in randomly, but then again who fastruns games on this site?! For all I know everyone here explores the most if not all of the possible sidecontent in every title.

Well based on your past replies you wouldn't like Valkyria Chronicles 2&3. :)

As you can only play them on the PSP or an emulator on the PC. They are very similar to the Legends of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel games based on Academy classes.

Now hearing Couch liken the third game to Trails of Cold Steel makes me want to play it!! Maybe it will make the trip to computer venues for us at some point in the future.

Now hearing Couch liken the third game to Trails of Cold Steel makes me want to play it!! Maybe it will make the trip to computer venues for us at some point in the future.
Well let me clarify the comabt is the same in all Valkyria Chronicle games, but you play as a class of students that go on various missions. That's where the similarities lie.

You also have to research new weapons and get scores based on your combat missions.

No. I understood your point. You have problem with the combat so you save scum. Personally I could care less if people save scum or not. However, mentioning that you like to savescum seemed kind of an odd point to make - and the way you expressed it (after all scum is a loaded term) suggested it was a negative of the game. Anyway enjoy your save scumming.

I said I would have preferred shorter battles that don't encourage savescumming. I do savescum because I don't want to redo 45 minutes of a battle because some impossible to forecast battle phase was introduced that killed me. I'd like shorter but fiercer battles with less impossible twists thrown in so you can finish it in one run.

Yow - we've got very different ideas as to what is save-scumming, @TheRealFluent;! If you're just loading because you got wiped out and don't want to repeat a bunch of content, that's not save-scumming in my view. Save-scumming is a way to get around the random number generator or your own weak eye/hand coordination.

You could get through a battle that you're actually not good enough to deal with simply by saving the game after every lucky shot and re-loading when the dice are against you - then keep re-loading until the dice go your way. That's save-scumming: you're deliberately making the game easier by effectively removing the random numbers.

The dexterity version is basically the same thing. Back toward the end in the original Tomb Raider, I would save after every jump because I missed so often. Instead of getting good enough to make 5 jumps in a row, I abused the save system to make up for my weak skills.

If you're just going along and manage to get yourself defeated, though, that's just normal game playing. You're not trying to cheat, you're just playing the game.

I do enjoy the companionship you feel from doing missions with school mates, I've played several other games that use that device and for the most part I remember enjoying it. The people involved would likely just be a bit younger than, say, their military counter-parts.

Yow - we've got very different ideas as to what is save-scumming, @TheRealFluent;! If you're just loading because you got wiped out and don't want to repeat a bunch of content, that's not save-scumming in my view. Save-scumming is a way to get around the random number generator or your own weak eye/hand coordination.

You could get through a battle that you're actually not good enough to deal with simply by saving the game after every lucky shot and re-loading when the dice are against you - then keep re-loading until the dice go your way. That's save-scumming: you're deliberately making the game easier by effectively removing the random numbers.

The dexterity version is basically the same thing. Back toward the end in the original Tomb Raider, I would save after every jump because I missed so often. Instead of getting good enough to make 5 jumps in a row, I abused the save system to make up for my weak skills.

If you're just going along and manage to get yourself defeated, though, that's just normal game playing. You're not trying to cheat, you're just playing the game.

I see what you're saying, yeah, we were talking about different things. It was just weird having to save mid battle because some crazy difficult plot twist might come next that blows up your whole effort in the previous moments of combat. Not a huge complaint but it felt weird to me.

Finally I've completed the game (did put it on hold till all DLC get released, then some other games got released, etc etc). So called 100%. Got A on every mission, gathered all achievements (had to grind about an hour for a few I have to admit).

Anyways, need a day or two to sum up all impressions, but in the meantime, just so you know I played with the original voiceover.
Why? In the first game, english VO was ridiculously bad. In VC4 it's not that bad, but it's not as good as in ToCS either. I'd say passable.

Here's a short video (Minerva's orders) where you can hear english dub in VC4 is more decent than the atrocious one in VC1, but still lacks of believable emotion, fells like highschool theatrics:

Another thing because I'm interested, I googled for any potential news or rumors on VC5. There is none so far, but I noticed a post on some playstation forum in a thread about potential sequel that pretty much sums up my own thoughts about videogames industry:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/227812-valkyria-chronicles-4/77294876?page=1
Major problem these days is the mega sale games cater to the dumbasses.
For sales figures it makes sense, there are more idiots in the world then there is people with good logic, and therefor people who are morons buy the games catered to them.

VC4 is a fkin fantastic game but todays game business revolves around how many idiots buy the game (fps bros), not how many intellectuals. Since vc4 requires a bit more of the upper brain capacity to play, its genre or style wont appeal to the shepples.

If sega wants to keep making games for morons and drop VC then f*** them. I wish time could turn back to where making a good game was more important then fkin charts and graphs. But time will tell, they did give us vc4 which Im ever thankful for.

Back
Top Bottom