Bard's Tale IV - Full Demo Walkthrough

I think that walk-through was previously posted. There was an update today that indicated that beta begins in July so I guess that means it is almost definitely going to be out in 2018 ?

That's a pretty slick-looking blobber.

EDIT:
...so I guess that means it is almost definitely going to be out in 2018 ?

At the end of the video, the guy says it will be released "later this year."

Last edited:
Yes, this looks a lot better than I originally thought. Seems like InXile gets another chance from me.

I hope they will get rid of those blue stripes between characters, it looks like if they drive some kind of spaceship or something. Also characters looking backwards and be stiff as made from cardboard looks really stupid - even as old game as Wizardry 8 had animated character portraits!

I hope they will get rid of those blue stripes between characters, it looks like if they drive some kind of spaceship or something. Also characters looking backwards and be stiff as made from cardboard looks really stupid - even as old game as Wizardry 8 had animated character portraits!

I agree. I like seeing the characters backs as opposed to seeing only the classical Wizardry or MM portraits, but as soon as they turn around I find myself missing the portraits instead. It just looks weird. "My turn to act? Guess I'll turn my back on the enemies then."

I guess I'll get used to it though, apart from that disturbance the game looks great.

Here I thought everyone on the Watch was going to give all the HUD/character/presentation problems a 100% pass!

Nah, I strongly dislike the blue grid, and I really hope that's something that can be toggled off. Also not a fan of the characters turning to face the player like that. Quite frankly, it looks silly, and I don't see how it adds to the game in any positive way.

The third one has no relationship between this and the first two. The developer has stated numerous times it was done per publisher specification.

Can you please elaborate what you mean by this?

Bard's Tale 1&2 were designed by Cranford and 3 was designed by Rebecca. All three were developed by Interplay and published by EA. All three exist in single timeline and share story and some locations (less so with part 2).

All 3 are now being remastered by Inxile and Krome Studios.

Can you please elaborate what you mean by this?

I'll hazard a guess as to what he means, and You can correct me if I'm wrong.

Generally, the game is shunned by fans of the series, since it is such a departure. It's a 3D ARPG, not a blobber. It's also very silly and pokes fun at RPG tropes. It was developed for consoles before the PC, and I've heard the publisher pushed for such departures from the archaic blobber beloved by at least a few. :)

I think the problem is confusing 1998's (EDIT: 1988) "Bard's Tale 3" with 2004's "Bard's Tale".

Last edited:
Err, I think you mean 1988's Bard's Tale III. ;) And yes, it was all very confusing.

As a massive fan of the original trilogy and high backer, I watched a few of these alpha demos posted on the InXile forums and still find myself having misgivings about the direction of this game to the best of my efforts to the contrary! I'm not yet convinced by the combat; it may get too heavily in the way of the immersion that should come from the exploration and intricate deep dungeon design that Bard's Tale is known for.
I also largely agree with the Watch criticisms of the grid and strange posing character portraits.

I guess it's challenging to justify the criticism of "that doesn't really look or feel like Bard's Tale" without seeming excessively nostalgic or plain, conservative and obvious, but in many ways, this is how I've gradually come to feel in part about the game.
I do hope I'm wrong though and that I'll come too appreciate its design when it is finally released.

I was a huge fan of the original trilogy too. I do have to agree with the sentiment that very little of the game has the feel of the original, but I also don't really care. The original was a very long time ago and a lot has changed since then. I'm interested in the game because almost everything I've heard about it sounds very promising on it's own merit, no matter what the title happens to be.

Back
Top Bottom