Exp:Conq Expeditions: Conquistador - Available Now

Expeditions: Conquistador
Very good game so far, haven't seen meat or other bugs yet. The story/events are well written and interesting, just the kind of things that might happen when wandering around a jungle.

UI is a bit clunky: Would be a nice if it had a (floating) character portrait/status bar so you can keep in touch with your all your characters statuses and settings whilst wandering around (and maybe your party members might make comments to liven things up). That could also make camping feel more integrated and less dependent on going to a separate screen and filling in dialog box selections. Also these multi-mode games tend to feel a bit lonely since you spend a lot of time wandering around with just a horse, despite that you are meant to be a part of a large party.

Were you able to take over your crew or is it just another isolated campaign? Like other land, same everything else?

You can take your characters into the next campaign, but you also have the choice to exchange them for new ones, if you like. But the campaigns are part of the same story, and you likely invested in promoting some of your people so it makes sense to mostly take the same crew. But its a chance to change the composition, e.g. if you feel you have too many or too few followers of some class.

Yup. And honestly, you really can't have too many of one class. :D

If I knew this game will be so much fun I'd join KS project when it was going on. Can't believe I missed to pledge on this one.

Was sceptical about this one on KS and didn't pledge. And actually I only got into the game on my second try. Didn't find getting into the game especially fun.
The whole spanish culture thingy puts me off a bit (can't remember any of these names at all) and I am not a fan of history games either. In addition the map you are traveling on isn't very inviting due to bad overview and controls. Less would have been more in this case. The big trees blocking your sight are more annoying than they are nice to look at. But since I got past that it's a fun game!

I didn't cleanse the land but am friendly to those "tribesmen". Some party members like that. some don't.

the key is to have an entire congregation of members with the RACIST trait. they have no qualms with my unrelenting mission to purge the lands.

How's the combat? I'm concerned about variety. Do you fight anything else besides natives?

There isn't much of variety in the type of enemy. I mean you either fight against colonists or natives. Haven't seen anything else yet and I doubt there will be other stuff.

But dependent on the map design and on the number of enemies and the classes the enemies use and the amount of troops you can bring in the fights are a little mixed. There are also fights where you don't just have to kill everyone, though I only had one fight so far where I had to survive for 10 turns (which almost ended in me killing everyone anyways). But as I mentioned earlier the AI isn't really the best. If you don't run into the mountains in the very beginning the fights get challenging but not too hard even on Insane/Ironman. Guess on other difficulties it's a cakewalk though I am not sure what exactly it infuences.
The most cruel setbacks I had were actually when resting and night over night you lose like 20-40 medicins or 1000 "valuables". That's just insane. Make sure your guard value is 70% or higher.

There are 2 things I didn't like about game.First there isn't lot of variety in fights.Second map isn't that interesting to explore(I just finished first map), there are few interesting things on it but it you don't find them often.Both of this things can be contributed to low budget.There are few smaller flaws also but overall game is fun and has some interesting ideas,I always prefer flawed gems than mediocre product.I would give it 7/10 maybe 8/10 with remark that I am not sorry I backed this and I would buy expansion or sequel.

Far from perfect - enemies can get a little monotonous and some areas feel less than fully fleshed out in terms of finishing touches content-wise. Still more than worth the price of admission and very enjoyable so far.

I do find myself crossing my fingers and hoping for a Galciv 3 kickstarter though, since I think something like that would better satisfy my craving for a good strategy game. The RPG aspects of Expeditions though are pretty satisfying even if the strategy elements aren't entirely there.

I don't think you have to worry about Galciv, as far as I know they are working on that now that they have gotten Elemental to where they want. Doesn't need a kickstarter.

I read the whole thread, seems interesting with flaws. But one point seems to me rather tedious it's that fights seems not that good and a bit repetitive, there's a lack of enemy diversity and the fights design doesn't succeed to generate much diversity.

Did I understood well?

It depends on what you look for. The enemies are humans only yes. But you (almost) only fight humans in Jagged Alliance either. The battlefield and the abilities/behaviour of the enemies are what makes the fight interesting. I'd say it's diverse enough though it could be better. I guess you play like 30-50h on the game until you have seen everything once. And the combat is fun enough for that length. I started over after 16h and I am at 24h now and it's still fun. And considering it's only 18€ atm, you can't do much wrong about it imho.

Ok Kordanor, thank you and sold, the truth is I was looking for any clue, truth or lie to have a "logical/objective/reasonable" reason to buy the crap. Now if the game is a crap it's not because I made an impulsive buy but because of you.

You'll definetly enjoy it IHR, expect no masterpiece, but expect a mass of fun.

Hrhr, I can live with that but I hope you'll enjoy it :)

Excellent advice or should I say I made an excellent choice and a rather wise decision? :D

It's "good" to skip sometimes a night and the game succeed make me do it and that's rare. Yeah it's not a perfect game but extremely interesting. To be honest it's a little a slow pace game but that's fine for me. There's for now (7 hours of play) very few fights but perhaps it's because I explored a bit too much. I have explored only a little part of the first area map but I can admit that the exploration part is ok but could have been better. For the team and events spread along the time, it's just great, and I'm happy to have choose a few characters causing troubles, that's a lot more fun and even regret to have choose too many serious characters. :)

I have no comment on the game itself, just that after about 7h it's not perfect, there's certainly many points that can be improved, but it's very fun anyway, there's many good points, and it's a true CRPG but rather original (yep many less original are much better, but this one can be attaching). Now I understand testers highlighting it's a RPG, they are right, but Gog hesitant to use the tag.

And I didn't had a single crash, Mac version, played on Lion. But there's one little bug, that can be managed but it's a little nuisance, probably only on Mac. The borders can be used to shift the cam when you explore. But the top border doesn't work fully well, when the mouse cursor is at top border limit, the cam doesn't move, you need move back a little the mouse. It's unpleasant but after some time I got used to it. In fights, that top border is working even less well so I was just using arrows to move the cam.

At first steps when discovering the game and when you choose your party I instantly remind an ios game (ImachinApplething will be happy if he read that) that I played more or less at its release ie in 2009. After to have played more, the relationship was quite obvious and then I searched how it was named (had forgot). When I found it, this increased my suspicion (not a bad one) that either both games share a same source of influence either that Expeditions: Conquistador have origins in Expedition:Beyond the Walls, yep even names has links.

Caution I don't say Expeditions: Conquistador is a casual game and I confirm that Expedition:Beyond the Walls is a casual game, as most best games on ios. But it's a rather fascinating game, and in fact just too short even for an ios game. I was really expecting something bigger and more developed and that's perhaps what is Expeditions: Conquistador.

Funnily when making the team for Expeditions: Conquistador I remind my experience in the ios game and choose the team with experience of the ios game and I feel it helped build a balanced team.

I don't remember everything of Expedition:Beyond the Walls, but there was a team, with hunters, soldiers, scientists, perhaps doctor but I'm not sure, you was leveling up them with more experience, you had to manage the equipments, from bows to allow hunt to food, weapons and shields. You had also a limited carrying capacity and could buy mule to carry more. And from this base you was organizing an expedition to find relics, there was various (few) possible expeditions with different length, area, difficulty, and you was traveling though lands with different characteristics, some with more hunt abilities or some with none (desert), area with wild animals, or aggressive locals, and some more details I don't remember well. And you had a fatigue management, healing management and some other stuff.

Then you started the expedition and along the travel you had events through some dices, but you could either keep some events and rethrow some other or keep already a set among those thrown, I don't remember well but it was mixing random and a bit of strategy. And that was a system mixing, morale and fatigue management, encounters, bonus progression, and stuff I don't remember clearly. At any point you could try retreat an expedition going wrong, or continue and manage fatigue and team morale, injuries or even death, until you arrived at the caves to explore, find relics, try or not go deeper, fight or not monsters or locals and finally come back in town to sell or keep stuff.

Very fun, but totally casual, no map to explore, only few expeditions available, at a point you was just ruling the game because of the finance you had collected allowing take few risk and retreat if it goes wrong, the events had a good diversity but it was just short texts, no story and interactions of members of the team, just symbolic graphics, fights was just solved by the game, and so on.

Expeditions: Conquistador is just at another level, the story and characters evolutions/events are too cool, there's real fights and real map, there's quests, many dialogs involving (probably) choices, and more. But there's so many shared points that there's necessarily a link between the two games. It's weird that reading many little reviews on gog I hadn't made the link once (despite multiple of them mentioning something about the game not being an ios port to PC, lol yes it's not).

Last edited:
...Make sure your guard value is 70% or higher.

My first conclusion is more 80% but also that system makes me wonder how they keep the balance as the game progress. There's a cool management of camp activities and roles but if as you level characters you increase your percentages you'll just rule the game then.

Ha well, I'll see how it evolves.

For the fights I did explored the mountains, more or less guided by a quest and got two fights, one tracked by locals another linked to the quest evolution, and I lost the first, not really realizing what to take care or not but win second attempt and win the fight after (tutorial fight was more easy). If they are the most difficult fights there will be a problem, I suppose it's more that fights are balanced with story/time/team evolution. So that mountain fights was my first so not that hard.

Glad you like it!

Yep, the guarding can never be high enough. Even with 70% it can happen easily that they just steal 1000 valuables and sometimes you get the note like "due to your weak guard..." and you just think "wtf?" so I took the path of spending all my money on weapons as soon as possible. There are some harder fights, but it probably also depends on the difficulty level.

First time I played on insane and went straight to the maintains and got overrun by the 8 roaming natives. I started over (insane ironman) again and went east first and did not die a single time but in the ending (if you enter the last city for the final battle, make sure your troops are prepared, you have to fight 2 hard battles in a row where you cant rest!). While your troops get stronger the story also throws harder opponents into your path. No idea how hard the second part of the game is in Mexico.

I did not experience the problem with the scrolling but I often use arrow keys for scrolling anyways. The reason for that is, that the game, as most other games unfortunately does have it's problems with a second monitor. I have a second screen on the left and playing the game full screen. If I move the cursor left it goes out of the screen and on clicking I tab myself out of the game and with that might also crash the game.

Some answer… blah blah, lost because of the bug of this forum, that suddenly decide your connection isn't valid and you need reload except that if you tried preview you have lost all. It's the only forum I ever saw with that bug, it's since a decade and more and it's still not fixed.

Yeah anyway nothing important, some personal comment about game strengths and weaknesses and possible points of amelioration. The whole with many pertinent examples picked among the global history of CRPG, some cool CRPG anecdotes to make it more spicy, plus some fine and very funny touch of humor to make it cool to read, and an excellent English style because of hours spends with many syntax and usage helpers, probably the first post ever I tried wrote in a good English. Ha well, all lost because of a decade old bug, weird.

Back
Top Bottom