|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale I - The Classics Return

Default Bard's Tale I - The Classics Return

August 15th, 2018, 17:38
And just received my key, so all is right with the world. Now, I just have to finish Trails in the Sky first!!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#41

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,383
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

August 15th, 2018, 18:47
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
I also had to redo my survey.

But the game looks and sounds great. Haven't played for long, but it seems they did a really nice job.

Also, a bonus for me and perhaps no one else, it plays really nicely on a touchscreen with just your hands. To move, just tap the left and right edges of the view window to turn and top and bottom for forward and back. Everything else on the screen can be tapped, and you even get the tooltips by dragging your finger onto items and removing it to select. Very nice.
Sounds like it could play well on a phone.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#42

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,621
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 15th, 2018, 18:48
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Eh? That's only $5 per game. Seems more than fair to me.
What's the depreciation value on a 35 year old video game
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#43

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,621
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

August 15th, 2018, 19:09
The price seems reasonable to me. That's a dollar less per game than the full price charged at GOG. The devs for these put in a lot more work than many games on GOG, for which someone simply writes a DOSBox shell.
Capt. Huggy Face is offline

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#44

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 15th, 2018, 23:37
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
The Bards Tale Trilogy plays great. I think it would be great if Krome got to remake the gold box games as they seem to know what they are doing.
I believe they're also doing the Wasteland 1 remaster. That's another one I'm looking forward to.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#45

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,215
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 00:15
Don't forget to adjust for inflation


Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
What's the depreciation value on a 35 year old video game
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#46

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,497
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 00:36
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I believe they're also doing the Wasteland 1 remaster. That's another one I'm looking forward to.
Ugh - I have no idea why anyone <cough> @Corwin </cough> could have liked that game. I played the thing when it was new and it miles behind every other U3 clone. Who cares if it was post-apoc - so was Gamma World.

Originally Posted by you View Post
Don't forget to adjust for inflation
Technically, isn't that deflation
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#47

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,621
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 00:46
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Ugh - I have no idea why anyone <cough> @Corwin </cough> could have liked that game. I played the thing when it was new and it miles behind every other U3 clone. Who cares if it was post-apoc - so was Gamma World.
I'm more interested in playing it for the historical perspective since it seems to have had a significant influence on the genre. I hear it's a fairly short game anyways.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#48

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,215
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 02:58
OH! This is my favorite part of the game:

--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#49

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 03:06
I'm looking forward to the re-master of Wasteland the first almost as much as I am these Bard games.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#50

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,383
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 09:33
I don't know about the original Wasteland, but Dragon Wars was excellent really and could of course benefit and be totally worth of a remaster…
KeepitClean is offline

KeepitClean

KeepitClean's Avatar
Watcher

#51

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 14:40
I loved the original Wasteland. To this day it is the only game I have ever played where you fight gun totting priests and shotgun shooting nuns. Also, was the first game I got a STD from a hooker. Good times.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

#52

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 17:15
I simply couldn't resist, I fired up the Bard's Tale last night, rolled up some guys and wandered around town until I got everyone up to level three. Now I just need to go complete my Trails in the Sky replay and then I can return to the glory of the bard and his buddies!!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#53

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,383
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 19:28
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm more interested in playing it for the historical perspective since it seems to have had a significant influence on the genre. I hear it's a fairly short game anyways.
It was influential on Fallout - it even said so on the original box. After that, I think most people look at FO as their source for post-apoc. I mean, Autoduel has a pretty good slant on Post-Apoc but no one looks to that for inspiration anymore.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#54

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,621
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

August 16th, 2018, 20:25
I keep hoping Autoduel will show up on great old games. It will likely never happen, just like the Buck Rogers game seems destined for the great dirt nap.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#55

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,383
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

August 17th, 2018, 19:54
On Bard's Tale I am reading the current mode is too easy. One of the iconic fights where the party takes on something like 884 berserkers is not in the current version.

The hardcode version will remove the automap, the multiple saves, and restore some of the more insane fights among other things when its released.

What about having all of that and still doing multiple saves? People did that back in the day by backing up their save games onto another disk.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#56

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,621
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

August 17th, 2018, 20:41
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
On Bard's Tale I am reading the current mode is too easy. One of the iconic fights where the party takes on something like 884 berserkers is not in the current version.

The hardcode version will remove the automap, the multiple saves, and restore some of the more insane fights among other things when its released.

What about having all of that and still doing multiple saves? People did that back in the day by backing up their save games onto another disk.
Is it this battle?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/84326…6452552589534/

It's not that it isn't there, it's just that they only spawn once.

I can't believe people are complaining about that though. I mean, I know Bard's Tale was hardcore and all, but I can't imagine getting much enjoyment out of repeatedly fighting 396 barbarians.

86 reviews on Steam so far and 84 of them are positive. I'm probably going to wait a few months before getting into it myself. The devs are already talking about tweaking the balance in the next patch.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#57

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,215
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

August 17th, 2018, 20:46
You would just turn up the scroll speed to 10 and have your mages cast spells that hit all groups. Like Mangar's mind blast I think it was.

It was like fighting the Cuisinarts in Might&Magic II.

It would get boring and could make the game too easy so I didn't do it on all my play throughs.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

#58

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 17th, 2018, 22:02
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Is it this battle?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/84326…6452552589534/

It's not that it isn't there, it's just that they only spawn once.

I can't believe people are complaining about that though. I mean, I know Bard's Tale was hardcore and all, but I can't imagine getting much enjoyment out of repeatedly fighting 396 barbarians.

86 reviews on Steam so far and 84 of them are positive. I'm probably going to wait a few months before getting into it myself. The devs are already talking about tweaking the balance in the next patch.
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
You would just turn up the scroll speed to 10 and have your mages cast spells that hit all groups. Like Mangar's mind blast I think it was.

It was like fighting the Cuisinarts in Might&Magic II.

It would get boring and could make the game too easy so I didn't do it on all my play throughs.
Ahh, so you could spam it? I never got far in BT back in the day.

Spoiler
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#59

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,621
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

August 18th, 2018, 01:23
So I broke down and made a party and got in a few fights so far. I love it so far. Can't remember if you need a thief in this game. I know you get a spell trapzap so going to try it without a thief.

Party:
Warrior
Paladin
Hunter
Bard
Magician
Conjurer

I left a spot open for summons and monsters that join. I forgot about that
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

#60

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale I - The Classics Return
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:29.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch