Kingmaker - Season Pass & Post-Release Content

Look. It 'proves' nothing. That is what they are expected to say. The truth is that we will never know if they (or aaa games) actually cut content from the main game.

Having said (what they are expected to say) I don't really think they did cut content just to make a dlc; but what do you expect them to say - "we cut content so we could make dlc". You see my point? Anyway if they actually have no clue what the dlc will contain then how can they price them this far in advance ? To give them some slack on this most game prices are arbitrary but none the less if the game sell well I suspect the dlc will be different than if it sells poorly which is also 'yuck' in my book.
-
To myself the release was nothing more than a PR stunt (yes I understand they are on the defensive because some crap heads are giving them flames for announcing dlc but that is the internet these days and they have to wear flame retardant if they are going to announce such. I would have prefer an actual announcement that contain a road-map not a pr stunt saying they will provide more details in the future. That is why i said 'yuck'.

The explanation that nothing from main game was cut to put into this DLC was talked about because for 1 week people have been calling them names and stuff on Steam forums and accusing them of stuff that AAA publishers usually do.
Owlcat just wanted to make it clear they are not shady AAA publishers.

One thing that strikes me as being a sour note is how the pricing is set. It's more than double for the deluxe "imperial" edition, when compared to the basic edition. Ok, so you get the season pass in that one, but I guess we will have to see how big the three expansions are to get a better sense of if it is worth the money. Still, it seems unusual, the way that you have to pay more than double the basic price to buy it.

I also think the price can be argued as being set too high for a relatively unknown player to the rpg world. So they are charging almost a AAA price for a new rpg that is not anything special in terms of technical things like the graphics...hmmm.

I still am very much interested in this game though, it definitely seems to have potential to be a good classic old school type rpg. Just think the pricing is a little "off".

1. It's the first game made by the studio, and they are obviously total amateurs when it comes to marketing and selling their products.

2. They should still have plans and deadlines for the season pass they are selling people. It doesn't mean they need to start working on it already (we'd all agree that's a bad thing), but they need to have some basic idea of what they're doing after release.

3. I guarantee you they don't have that deal with the publisher, otherwise they would be total idiots. The game's development was entirely self funded. Regardless, it's a BS answer and anybody that buys it after hearing that is a fool.
1. I agree about the marketing part but that is usually completely different people than those that make the content itself so it means nothing.
2. Seems their plans changed over time. I would not be surprised if their owner/publisher decided that for them.
3. They don't have a choice what they get as their publisher is their owner. They are not a solo studio like Obsidian that than makes deals with publishers, they are owned by my.com . Also they are not self funding anything, my.com gave them some money to make the game and the rest they had to get through Kickstarter. They said this game is kind of a experiment as my.com is mostly dealing in MP games, not SP.

If you can't see Silver Coin is always right - it's because you're missing the irrefutable proof of his infallible nature.

I know, I've made that mistake several times!

If you want to see this type of RPG in the future buy it on release at full price. If you buy it for a song the devs will conclude you don't want this type of game in future. Besides, the base game has more than enough content. You won't be missing out and you don't have to play the game straight away if you feel differently.

Ack i didn't know that they were owned by my.com - does my.com have a history (good or bad with regards to game development and support) ?

(btw does my.com own the game or the studio?)
--
hum from the wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My.com

myGames
myGames is a collection of PC and mobile games, based on a freemium model.[8] Obsidian Entertainment is developing Armored Warfare and localizing Skyforge; My.com’s upcoming MMO offerings.[9] World of Speed, the company’s MMO racing game, is being developed by Slightly Mad Studios, the company that redeveloped Need for Speed.[10] TenTonHammer[11] named Skyforge Best of Show and Armored Warfare Best Multiplayer game at the 2014 E3.

If you want to see this type of RPG in the future buy it on release at full price. If you buy it for a song the devs will conclude you don't want this type of game in future. Besides, the base game has more than enough content. You won't be missing out and you don't have to play the game straight away if you feel differently.

I can personally attest for the content - I sunk in 70hours+ in beta and I was still in chapter 2 (I think the game is comprised of 4 chapters).

Well my problem here isn't so much full price for the game but the game won't be completed until the dlc are released (or at least we know what the dlc contained). If the dlc is like white-march i much rather wait until the full game is release as the new content sat in the middle of the game. I much prefer they had announced an expansion that occurs after the main game than additional content that might be applied to the middle of the game. Maybe we will know more when they actually announce what the dlc contains. If they are stuff like amulets and dogs that can be ignored then fine.

I don't want more of "this type" - I just want more good games of most types.

I can't know if the game is good before I actually buy it.

If developers or publishers expect people to buy games at full price, then they shouldn't pre-plan additional content from the beginning and release it piecemeal - like the norm has become, because that means gamers won't get the "true" full experience at launch.

So, it's really a shared responsibility.

Personally, I've learned to live with DLC like this - but I'm not feeling like it's my responsibility that developers and publishers are going this way, because it took a long time before I started supporting it.

I would prefer one or two meaty expansions - years after release.

If that was the norm, I wouldn't even consider waiting for a cheaper bundle.

I would prefer one or two meaty expansions - years after release.

If that was the norm, I wouldn't even consider waiting for a cheaper bundle.

Couldn't agree more... But gone are the days of the expansions :(

Ack i didn't know that they were owned by my.com - does my.com have a history (good or bad with regards to game development and support) ?

I don't believe they are owned by My.com, but rather they are former employees.

@you;
Agreed that DLC should continue the story, least people think they will have to replay the game to get to it like Pillars of Eternity. That was such a dumb move.

(btw does my.com own the game or the studio?)
--
hum from the wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My.com

myGames
myGames is a collection of PC and mobile games, based on a freemium model.[8] Obsidian Entertainment is developing Armored Warfare and localizing Skyforge; My.com’s upcoming MMO offerings.[9] World of Speed, the company’s MMO racing game, is being developed by Slightly Mad Studios, the company that redeveloped Need for Speed.[10] TenTonHammer[11] named Skyforge Best of Show and Armored Warfare Best Multiplayer game at the 2014 E3.
Don't forget that my.com in turn is owned by mail.ru which are a quite a global player, although not directly in games.

That's untrue. They are an independent studio not owned by Deep Silver.
What are you talking about? Deep Silver is not their publisher, they are just to help with distribution. They only announced partnership with DS recently. https://www.kochmedia.com/en/2018/0...distribute-upcoming-rpg-pathfinder-kingmaker/

It is well known Owlcat are a subsidiary of My.com, it was a bit of a problem during KS because some people think my.com is shady. Also it was confusing people why are they on KS when My.com is super rich.
And it was all explained during KS, you can find it there.

I don't believe they are owned by My.com, but rather they are former employees.
"Owlcat Games was founded in 2016 as part of a pilot initiative of My.com. The team is led by veteran game designers behind titles like Heroes of Might and Magic V, Silent Storm, Etherlords, Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul and other games. Team members also took part in the development of popular MMO titles, Allods Online and Skyforge. The first project unveiled by Owlcat Games is Pathfinder: Kingmaker, an isometric computer RPG based on the highly popular Pathfinder pen-and-paper roleplaying game by Paizo Inc."
https://press.owlcatgames.com/first...owlcat-games-and-game-designer-chris-avellone

Okay, but it still doesn't change the fact that they aren't owned by Deep Silver

They don't have a choice what they get as their publisher is their owner.

Announcing and selling season passes BEFORE the game is released practice needs to die.
Regardless of who does it.

Do I believe there is no cut content in season passes? No. Sorry, but no.
Be fair towards fans and use the material from DLC that got cut in the sequel instead of numerous DLC rubbish. It ain't Sims game and even EA's Sims doesn't announce season passes and DLC before the base game is released.

Okay, but it still doesn't change the fact that they aren't owned by Deep Silver
Just stop man, I even gave you a link but you failed to click it:
"My.com and Owlcat Games team up with Koch Media / Deep Silver to promote and distribute the upcoming, critically acclaimed role playing game Pathfinder: Kingmaker."
Deep Silver is not their Publisher.

Couldn't agree more… But gone are the days of the expansions :(
Yes, because there are apparently enough people who are willing to buy DLC piece by piece, and that's far more lucrative than releasing a large expansion. Personally I'm not one of those people, and therefore I usually wait for the "complete", "definitive", "GOTY", "gold", or whatever they might call their edition.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't want to criticize someone who buys a title at release to support the developer (the last time I did that was with The Witcher 2). If someone wants to do that, more power to them. I am however one of the people who do not want to support the current DLC business model with their money and I also don't buy into the whole "if you want more games like that, buy it at release!" argument.

Back
Top Bottom