Has anyone tried the “revised” Realms of Arkania? The well patched edition? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Has anyone tried the “revised” Realms of Arkania? The well patched edition?

Default Has anyone tried the “revised” Realms of Arkania? The well patched edition?

December 31st, 2018, 19:15
I’m interested to take a crack at this before the new (and we’ll received) RoA: Star Trail sequel. I know it got hammered on release but word is it is significantly patched?
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

December 31st, 2018, 19:28
I was never interested in playing it but Fluent did a review back in 2013.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/re…eview-227.html
So, the ultimate question is, did I enjoy my time spent with Realms Of Arkania: Blade Of Destiny HD? Absolutely! Minor bug annoyances aside, the game feels like a real adventure and has a load of potential. I missed some of the features that haven't been implemented to this point, yet the game still delivered a good level of immersion and a memorable journey that you create yourself. If you're looking to spend some time with a throwback RPG and immerse yourself in an open-world fantasy land with adventure, interesting RPG mechanics and a challenging and unforgiving game world, you really can't go wrong with Realms Of Arkania. The game doesn't hold your hand and it expects you to learn it's inner workings in order to survive, which is a breath of fresh air, really. There are still a few kinks in the mix, though. You will have to be able to look past some bugs in order to fully enjoy yourself, but if you really dig to the core, you may be pleasantly surprised at what you uncover.
Sorry I can't offer a better opinion maybe @TheRealFluent can add more.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

December 31st, 2018, 19:57
Interesting! Granted that's Fluent not the cynical new version but its encouraging. I saw a "lets play" this AM and I thought it looked pretty compelling.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

December 31st, 2018, 22:38
Star Trail is based on the last patched version of Blade of Destiny, so yes it definetely feels complete and plays well. They have even added decent extra content compared to the original. And you get to transfer your group to Star Trail of course

Svartie

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 31st, 2018, 23:02
I have it, but I've never played it so far.
I think I should try it out one day.

Besides, has anyone here tried the "Skilltree Saga" game ? How is it, apart from its absolutely awful name ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

December 31st, 2018, 23:38
Tiring of Grimoire already?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

January 1st, 2019, 00:02
No not tiring. Not yet anyhow but I’ve certainly gotten my $9 worth I tend to watch “let’s play” vids while exercising and the one on Arkania had me intrigued.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

January 1st, 2019, 00:07
I'm somewhat interested in the trilogy myself since I never played the originals. I'll probably wait until they've finished remastering all three games before I give it a shot.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

January 1st, 2019, 00:28
The other one I'll probably try is Bards Tale IV. Now that all the release drama is over with and the game has been patched its getting recommended. I never played the originals so I don't care too much about continuity with the old stuff.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

January 1st, 2019, 01:50
RoA is pretty good, I did enjoy it, once they fixed the gamebreaking bug I encountered. It is cool, it has a lot of environmental skill checks, like using a grappling hook to cross a ravine or acrobatics skill to scale down a well to find treasure. Very interesting stuff. It also has a quality survival mechanic as traveling from town to town is rich and rewarding, crossing mountains in the dead of winter can be a deadly experience if you aren't prepared. The dungeon crawling bits are solid, too, and I like how someone with Claustrophobia can throw you for a loop (one of my characters stayed at the entrance because he was too scared, I loved that level of reactivity). Still completed the dungeon, too, so the game is balanced with those actions in mind. I'd give it a go if you don't mind slow-paced gameplay but you can speed up gameplay with a fast forward button. Not a bad little CRPG by any means.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

January 1st, 2019, 04:53
Sounds good thanks Fluent
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

January 1st, 2019, 08:25
No problem. Hope you enjoy it despite some niggles here and there. The core is pretty solid.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

January 1st, 2019, 13:28
Okay, where did I place that game DVD box … ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

January 1st, 2019, 15:59
I tried the revised edition the week it launched, and it was an unmitigated mess. I always meant to go back and give it another go, but haven't to date.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

January 1st, 2019, 16:07
They patched it a whopping 36 times from 2013 - 2015. From what I understand it’s vastly improved.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Has anyone tried the “revised” Realms of Arkania? The well patched edition?