Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread - Page 39 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pathfinder: Kingmaker » Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Default Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

January 4th, 2019, 23:40
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
Only way I know is the mod that lets you do it by CTRL H. Can get the mod on Nexus.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/52

By the way for people who don't want to use the Unity mod manager, which requires re-install after each patch, there is this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/20?

"This is a passive mod loader framework specifically designed for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It is designed to not modify core game files, and thus will survive updates and patches in-tact. Currently bundled with Better Portrait Selection and Player Goblins. Now with Unity Mod Manager integration! See the details in the full description. "
Thanks, with the camera and zoom mods, i could have taken some beautiful ss but the bigass UI was in the way
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

January 5th, 2019, 03:39
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
Thanks, with the camera and zoom mods, i could have taken some beautiful ss but the bigass UI was in the way
Oooh, do share those screenshots with us
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

January 5th, 2019, 07:17
Nok-Nok is voiced now! and it looks like more content are added (at least in early games) - I saw a few extra quests that adds more flavour to Bloom events. Enjoying my 3rd run
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

January 5th, 2019, 16:54
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
While I agree Kingmaker has some design issues (like all games) I think you are overly focusing on negatives only. Your choice though. And I can't think on many games that handled companions better than Kingmaker. Again though, happy to disagree. I can't type effectively on the phone either so going to leave this discussion here.
I was arguing about replay value, I just listed concrete arguments on design to justify my point of view. I wasn't arguing on companions management. I read you wrote you tend stick with games you enjoyed a lot, so clearly we can't agree about replay value.

I don't see what's so good in companions management in PK. For me they are too diluted along a very long play, and I don't like at all this design killing them in last parts if you let them quiet for a replay.

If you want that I list some good aspects in PK, out of the last two chapters, I could, it won't change my opinion that those last two chapters are making this game an absurd waste. Anyway:
- The rest system is the first I ever seen really working, all details was well thought and setup, and for sure that there's some timed quests, and time kingdom management, is a part of it. But there's also the nice touch to limit rations through weight, to add hunting in travels but not in dungeons, some more.
- There's a really good work on combats, only last two chapters lost the track. It includes, a great effort on diversity, a great effort to make the RTwP working well with more modern classes designs. On that it's only missing the great movement push mechanism in PoE2. And if tactical depth and diversity is limited by the RTwP, the great idea is to have put a lot of the complexity and diversity at meta level, party building and combat preparation.
- During in game chapter 0 to 4 or perhaps 5, there's a very good work on mystery thread that increase well the curiosity. More effort on that is missing a lot in modern RPG writing.
- Writing on companions is very uneven with some parts quite weak, but there's also some parts for some companions that are just great writing. I regret not many was really attaching for me beside Linzi, and Nok Nok until I quote how bad was his writing. A good point is none are really pale or uninteresting. I'll stick on the positive as it's the challenge but I would have many negative to add too.
- Kingdom Management isn't a strategy game but it's possible that it wasn't the plan, perhaps more dev time was missing for better tuning, and make it more a light strategy game. It is still a major aspect of the game, and even if generally I don't like timers, overall it works very well and it adds a lot to gameplay. And even now I'm a lot more interested by RPG using time.

Happy?

EDIT: But the last two chapters waste totally the game, what a piety. Not that it wasn't fun play before. :-)

Dasale

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

January 6th, 2019, 00:27
@Dasale

We are keep going around in circles - it's quite clear that what you don't like happen to be what I like, so let's agree to disagree.

In another post, I listed the things that adds replayability for me, and you pointed out you don't care about any of them.

In terms of companions, I actually like that their story is told across chapters. Yes, I would have liked if there were more banters and interjections but I rather prefer well written companion quests and dialogue even if it doesn't occur often than getting bombarded by dull dialogues. I really loved each companion's story development and it made sense it wasn't all resolved in space of short period.

So totally different views.
--

purpleblob

Princess

January 6th, 2019, 00:30
@Dasale try using spoiler tags bud. Not everyone has beaten the game.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

January 6th, 2019, 11:57
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
@Dasale try using spoiler tags bud. Not everyone has beaten the game.
Wath part?

Dasale

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

January 7th, 2019, 03:40
Finished tonight and okay with ending for the most part.

Spoiler is MAJOR spoiler of course as I discuss endings.

Spoiler

Tough decisions no matter how you look at it.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Last edited by wolfgrimdark; January 7th, 2019 at 03:52.

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

January 7th, 2019, 07:10
Very nice write up @wolfgrimdark

I chose the exact same endings as you in both chap 6 & 7.

Spoiler

Edit: did you think the castle (chap 6) was as horrible as I described in the review?
--

purpleblob

Princess

January 7th, 2019, 14:53
Here is my take on the last two big areas in the game - so aye was horrible but since I played on easy it was more bearable for me. So if playing on hard I think I would agree with you … since certain parts felt that way even on easy.

Spoiler

Also annoying that I did almost all the content and was only level 15 at the end and never saw the final high level perks or spells. So when I replay with ranger I will make sure I use the level scaling mod to make it to 20.

That aside I totally loved the game and the companions!
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 7th, 2019, 16:06
Also annoying that I did almost all the content and was only level 15 at the end and never saw the final high level perks or spells.
In endgame you can get a lot of XP by persuasion skill checks. Did you manage that?
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Greedfall

Morrandir

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

January 7th, 2019, 19:36
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
In endgame you can get a lot of XP by persuasion skill checks. Did you manage that?
Yes although I have it set to shared among the crew. Fenn is my charmer with charisma 29 (with equipment, think it was 21 naturally) and he usually passed every kind of persuasion check.

I dinged to level 16 literally between the end and the fade to white for the slide show which was useless at that point.

It isn't a huge deal and I am ware about sharing EXP. But I preferred keeping everyone at the same level as I was switching them out a lot for quests and flavor.

To me, personally, I think there needs to be a little better balancing so you can reach 20 at the end without having to disable sharing of XP. But I know its complicated. Luckily there is a mod for that
--

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 7th, 2019, 21:19
I'm hoping DLCs and future patch will provide more content (consequently, more exp) so we reach the house at higher level.

That makes me think though, I wonder if we will end up with lower level if you play with the first DLC with shared exp on:

Spoiler
--

purpleblob

Princess

January 7th, 2019, 22:09
Shared exp simply gives 1/6 of all experience to everyone, even to those outside your party. So if you always play with 6 characters sharing is the best you can do. Regular level 20 might be possible with 2 characters and sharing turned off. I'm playing with 6 and the scale XP mod; I recently started chapter 3 and my party is level 12 right now. Let's see how it goes.
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

January 7th, 2019, 23:17
Yes although I have it set to shared among the crew. Fenn is my charmer with charisma 29 (with equipment, think it was 21 naturally) and he usually passed every kind of persuasion check.

I dinged to level 16 literally between the end and the fade to white for the slide show which was useless at that point.
Not all high xp checks are endgame. I recall the highest being the intimidate check
Spoiler

and in the pirates quest in Pitax. Ended up level 17 for the last two chapters, and that was with a full party.

Charna

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 7th, 2019, 23:43
I shared XP as well and reached level 18 during the final fight. I didn't do any grinding.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Greedfall

Morrandir

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

January 8th, 2019, 01:47
EDIT: Well my bad so foot in mouth syndrome. I went to play and saw I was level 16 and dinged to 17 at the end. I was off by one. I suspect with the few quests I missed and some more combat it would have been 17/18. So closer than what I had thought. Still would be nice to make 20.
--
Last edited by wolfgrimdark; January 8th, 2019 at 05:00.

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 8th, 2019, 04:54
Follow up as I redid the end of chapter 6 and redid 7 with different choices. Will include that in the spoiler below. I also added the level scale mod and maxed it as I wanted to get to level 20 for the final fight since I never got my level 9 spells before.

Spoiler
--

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 8th, 2019, 12:13
Question regarding hour of rage:

Spoiler
--

purpleblob

Princess

January 8th, 2019, 16:58

Spoiler
Yeah, that's what bothered me about this ending.
Spoiler

Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Question regarding hour of rage:
I think you can retry the check if you have new characters in your party that haven't made the roll yet, so maybe try taking Jaethal along just for the trip?

Charna

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pathfinder: Kingmaker » Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread