The Outer Worlds - Gameplay Video and Impressions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Much has been written about The Outer Worlds and there is a gameplay video from Game Informer.

Impressions:

Game Informers

3) Goofy, Dark Humor

If you have any question about The Outer Worlds' brand of humor, just know that you can play through the entire game as a dumb guy - literally, there is a dialogue option labeled [Dumb] that will let you role-play as a clueless brute. Halcyon is also filled with fat snakes that were bred for their leather, missions about diet toothpaste, and a rare weapon that works like a shrink ray to miniaturize your opponents.

"I think humor is really, really hard to do in a game, but games that go pure dark are hard to take in every night," says Cain. "I play games that skew dark, and after a while I just don't want to play them anymore. We like this kind of dark humor where we can put something in the game that also looks silly, but when you dig into it, you find out it's really horrific."

"You can actually get a lot darker and a lot deeper into things if it's fun and humorous," adds Boyarsky. "Getting deep into the human condition can be a little overwhelming, but if you are having a fun time and laughing and then we sneak in some of that depth and darkness, it actually resonates a little better."

[...]
Gamespot has video also.

The Outer Worlds is being designed around freedom of choice, which often manifests during verbal exchanges. You have free agency to lie, play dumb, betray allies, or align with would-be enemies. These concepts aren't limited to Fallout games, but it's--again--hard to deny the similarities at play when even the amount of camera zoom during dialogue brings Fallout 3 to mind.

Whether The Outer Worlds is intentionally built to remind us of Fallout is a question we'll likely never get answered by Obsidian, but odds are it's not a coincidence. Obsidian's work on Fallout: New Vegas is cited by many fans to be the best thing to happen to the series in recent years. You could argue that any similarities between The Outer Worlds and Fallout are due to the fact that there are so many ex-Fallout devs working on the game, but there are elements that go beyond mere creative tendencies.

[...]
IGN

The idea is this small corner of the galaxy and its two planet-like celestial bodies were discovered, purchased, and terraformed for colonization. But something went wrong. Tera 1, now known as Monarch, didn't take to the terraforming, and it's now become a moon full of monsters. The other planet, Tera 2, known as Halcyon, fared much better. It's Earth-like, with plants and trees and animals, but it's not really Earth. Those trees are Mostly-Oaks and Kinda-Pines, trademarked, most likely. That animal crawl-slithering in the grass-like field is a Leather Boa, a snake-like-thing that's broader and fatter than Earth snakes, because it's been genetically modified and bred to produce more leather. Profitable, most likely.

[...]
Shacknews

One idea that Obsidian is taking to the lengths of delightful absurdity in The Outer Worlds is the concept of branding. Virtually everything in the game is branded. Every consumable item and every weapon has a corporate brand name attached to it, along with marketing buzzwords and slogans. Narratively, it shows that corporations are the ultimate master in Halcyon. Every single NPC in the game works for a company. It's a world that has progressed beyond racism and sexism, but it's a world that's entirely consumed by competition between companies. It's a story inspired by the robber barons of the late 19th century, but with the concept taken to its next level.

[...]
More information.

Damn it, now I'm hyped. I love the fact it actually has colours and isn't just boring shades of brown and grey. And that it's got some silliness in it, like the original Fallouts and Arcanum for example. Silent protagonist is awesome for immersion as well, I want to choose who I am, and it probably means more dialogue choices as well.

I just hope I can holster that damn gun, my shoulder aches from watching that video…

Last edited:
Watching this video , i caught myself by thought, how exhausting and painful it should be to run like this, with starched arm and gun in your hand for hours!

Eh? I'm not that sold on this. Bioshock it's not, when it comes to art. Somewhat similar style, but former has much more coherent/"clear" direction. Or that chicken velociraptor. This just looks..weird. Almost like procedurally generated "things" from No Man's Sky...red earth tree next to glowing blue popstickles next to concrete road that "somehow" grew into hill.
Combat and AI, well, tbh look like crap. Maybe a little bit better than Fallout New Vegas, sort of FPS Alpha Protocol version.
And setting is definite Borderlands almost rip off...I'm not sure "Whedonesque" tone is good idea, not unless you have really good writing team on board.
I think people are bit caught up in "OMG Cain and Boyarsky working together!" here.

Eh? I'm not that sold on this. Bioshock it's not, when it comes to art. Somewhat similar style, but former has much more coherent/"clear" direction. Or that chicken velociraptor. This just looks..weird. Almost like procedurally generated "things" from No Man's Sky…red earth tree next to glowing blue popstickles next to concrete road that "somehow" grew into hill.
Combat and AI, well, tbh look like crap. Maybe a little bit better than Fallout New Vegas, sort of FPS Alpha Protocol version.
And setting is definite Borderlands almost rip off…I'm not sure "Whedonesque" tone is good idea, not unless you have really good writing team on board.
I think people are bit caught up in "OMG Cain and Boyarsky working together!" here.

Or we just like or care about different things? I can agree it might not be fully coherent in the art direction, and the combat might be clunky. I care more about what feeling I get, if the writing and story is interesting, that the humour is there, and that the world looks interesting. Your points are perfectly valid, they are just not enough to make me less hyped. ;)

Already hyped since yesterday. This coming from a fan of Alpha Protocol. I can even admit not a single Obsidian game has failed to entertain me including Dungeon Siege 3.:cool:

Found one interview for this game.:)

RPG Site interview with Obsidian's senior narrative designer Megan Starks.
Obsidian Entertainment has garnered a reputation over the last decade and a half for a unique penchant for writing engaging and reactive narratives, usually with a heavy emphasis on weighing a high degree of consequence against the player's choices. The Outer Worlds seems to be poised to continue that trend.

We already saw a glimpse of the game's unique brand of humor in our preview of the title, but being able to see the long-term narrative permutations in a limited amount of time is a bit more difficult. The next best thing though would be to be able to talk about the design philosophies behind writing for an Obsidian RPG, so we did just that.

RPG Site was lucky enough to have the opportunity and sit down with Megan Starks, the Senior Narrative Designer on the studio's newest game. Megan has also worked as a narrative designer for Obsidian's fantasy RPGs Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire and Tyranny. Prior to her time at Obsidian, she's worked on the MMOs Wildstar and Fallen Earth in various design and writing roles.

We chatted with Megan about working as a lead narrative designer on The Outer Worlds, the design difference when writing for a single-play game compared to an MMO, and more.

Eh? I'm not that sold on this. Bioshock it's not, when it comes to art. Somewhat similar style, but former has much more coherent/"clear" direction. Or that chicken velociraptor. This just looks..weird. Almost like procedurally generated "things" from No Man's Sky…red earth tree next to glowing blue popstickles next to concrete road that "somehow" grew into hill.
And setting is definite Borderlands almost rip off…I'm not sure "Whedonesque" tone is good idea, not unless you have really good writing team on board.

The setting is very similar with a lot of 50-60 Sci-fi books hence the No Man Sky colors. It totally makes sense with the "Western" kind of sci-fi game which was also the thematic of lot of those books at that time. They transposed Western thematic in a new setting with absolutely no science knowledge so to compensate they had to make it as weird as they could do.
So borderlands rip-off? Bah, It is just a nod toward a very cheap kind of sci-fi literature full of fun and adventures most of those guys would have read when they were just boys.

Found one interview for this game.:)

RPG Site interview with Obsidian's senior narrative designer Megan Starks.

A few interest things in that interview. The devs are really pushing the "old school" flavor of "be whatever you want" kind of RPG.

Yep, I enjoyed the video and the look of the setting. The faces look pretty good too -- not too much uncanny valley there. The mouth animations don't seem quite right though. Will there be an over-the-shoulder view, I wonder? Hopefully they will animate the computer face and let us holster the weapon.

Yeah, I hope so, too. I'm a 3rd person guy. Personally, I find 1st person weapon use confusing. I'm always trying to line up the weapon sight on the target instead of the cross-hair. Why not make them aligned, not separate? You point the weapon at what you want to shoot in real life, not on a floating, centered cross-hair.

Yeah, I hope so, too. I'm a 3rd person guy. Personally, I find 1st person weapon use confusing. I'm always trying to line up the weapon sight on the target instead of the cross-hair. Why not make them aligned, not separate? You point the weapon at what you want to shoot in real life, not on a floating, centered cross-hair.

You must be easily confused. ;)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of crosshairs in games and usually disable them if possible and just aim down the sites. Of course that only works if you're in first-person - which I vastly prefer for games with shooter mechanics.

Oh, and the Borderlands comparisons are…weird. I'm not seeing much similarity here at all.

Did you play them? Both have clear "space cowboy feel". Not taking itself seriously when it comes to setting. Space megacorporations engaged in warfare against one another, have their own unique brands, employ mercs ( player here, it seems) and treat people as disposable asset. Similar art.

Or we just like or care about different things? I can agree it might not be fully coherent in the art direction, and the combat might be clunky. I care more about what feeling I get, if the writing and story is interesting, that the humour is there, and that the world looks interesting. Your points are perfectly valid, they are just not enough to make me less hyped.

Fair enough. Guess I find it interesting, how people have such drastically different disposition towards games, simply based on brand/name/company ( though places like codex take this to extreme). With "AAA" any flaw is scrutinized/hyperbolized to ridiculous proportion, with "good ol' games" it's the other way around.

With Tim and Leonard behind things this game will be amazing. Probably have Bloodlines-esque dialogue and reactivity. I'm guessing this will be my GOTY 2019, even besting Cyberpunk 2077 from what I've seen so far. :thumbsup:

Nope while it may be a good game it will never top Cyberpunk 2077.

Main reason why it doesn't have sex and romance.:p

For sexy time we'll have to play Cyberpunk. Hope it comes out in VR. :p

Aarik D (Community Manager)Today at 2:32 PM

For all those who are asking, yes -- you can holster your gun!

Based on the reddit, you don't have to hold your gun while walking around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom