Things you might like to know.

Hahaha yeah Ripper, I read that story earlier. I've done similar things in my past, leading to some rather interesting intestinal issues that persisted for some days! =p

Never heard of them. Are they a British thing?

Zucchini they call 'em in the States. I've got some growing that I'm hoping have not turned to the dark side. I like a nice ratatouille.

A few years ago there was a newspaper article here of an old man who had died from self-grown Zucchini.

The ones you buy are without any poison.
The ones you grow yourself can have the poison.

Irish ? Oh, wow, as it had always seemed to me from looking through the press, the Irish data regulators were especially ... forgiving ...

There's good music coming from Ireland, though ...

I enjoyed seeing this:

First qualifier ever to get to the final of a major tournament. Good work, our lass!

Go on, kid!

13eb35c3-503b-4d6b-afb7-3a861bb10d01.png

From qualifiers to final, didn't drop a set.

She looks like she wants to eat that trophy. :p

Yeah, it's a pretty remarkable sports story. I don't think you'll get odds on Sports Personality of the Year!

Last edited:
That was an impressive victory, huge congrats to her! I've not seen a victory that solid since the Canadian women's football squad took the gold in the Olympics.

Over 90% of the chicken supply in the US has a white striping problem.

Link - https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/news/a42633/chicken-white-striping/
An animal activist group wants you to think twice before chowing down on that grilled chicken sandwich. A new video by Compassion in World Farming is urging meat-lovers to learn about "white striping," a muscle disorder affecting chicken breasts. According to a 2013 study published in the Italian Journal of Animal Science, the condition ups fat content by 224% and lowers the amount of protein. Research published in Poultry Science the same year came to a similar conclusion: Fat increased and muscle decreased based on the amount of white striping.

You might have noticed white striping in your meat aisle already. The condition looks like white striations running parallel to the regular muscle. According to a 2016 study by University of Arkansas and Texas A&M, "the severity of white striping has increased in recent years," identifying it in 96% of the 285 birds they tested. More importantly, the condition "negatively impacts meat quality" by affecting marinade uptake and cook loss.
I've noticed this myself as over the past five years it's gotten worse.

Gross. Mass produced meat is pretty grim. My approach is to only buy good quality meat, and just even it out in the budget by eating less of it. Which I think is a win/win, healthwise.

Heck, after watching the original Supersize Me I never wanted to enter a Chew and Spew again!! :)

Back
Top Bottom