What games are you playing now?

Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

Completed ME1. Started out impressed by the changes, but sort of came away a little underwhelmed. Lots of minor niggles - and a handful of serious issues, including super bad performance when exploring uncharted worlds and certain areas during story missions (Virmire in particular).

Started ME2 - which was always my least favorite of these games. Strangely, I'm enjoying it more than ME1 this time around. I guess the ultra-streamlined nature of the gameplay is the perfect fit for my disposition at this point in time.

One thing I can't deny is that they did a great job with the general sci-fi vibe of the areas. Currently very early in the game (Omega) - but I have a good feeling.

Days Gone

About 20 hours in, and it's exceeded my expectations so far. Easily the best zombie game since Dying Light.

Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance on Switch - I had played the GBA version. Not much of an RPG, more of a fantasy-action set in D&D universe. So far it is fun and the port is solid.

Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance on Switch - I had played the GBA version. Not much of an RPG, more of a fantasy-action set in D&D universe. So far it is fun and the port is solid.

I actually recently completed this one using PS2 emulation. That way, you can get superior resolutions and filters, etc. Also, you can instantly save the actual state of the game 1:1 - which is a lot more convenient than the alternative.

It was surprisingly solid all told. The length was about right as well, as it was just long enough to feel worthwhile - and not too long to feel redundant.

The sequel is even better, btw.

Man the hordes in Days Gone really give new meaning to tension. It's the third one I encountered so far, and managed to outrun.

One was near a spot where I cleared a NERO station before, and didn't want to return. Until the story made me do it, to get some lavender for Boozer. And I somehow managed to drives loops around the various freakers around, until i managed to have enough time to get the lavender. And then the horde got unleashed.

One thing I really started to like in this game is the feeling of going on an adventure on the road. Plenty of times I just pick a spot pretty far away, either for a quest or just to explore/clear places. And I like the feeling of going along, trying to find fuel along the way, trying to minimize bullet usage. It has quite a particular feel, one I've not felt much in other games. The feeling of going out into the wilderness, trying to see what you can find. And the bike is integral to that. It really forces you to develop a relationship with your bike. It's your home away from home. I also like how it makes me consider where I leave it, because I'll have to get back to it. Hopefully with some oil. Fun times. And in theory this would sound tedious. But it's not. It's a bit of a game within the game.

I've also unlocked level 2 with Hot Springs, so I've now got a nice full auto machine gun which helps a lot. But it's annoying how I can't have both a machine gun, and a shotgun.

The horde fights were absolutely incredible, indeed.

They felt like something that should be impossible to pull off in a game like that - without somehow breaking the rules and either making them too easy - or straight up impossible.

But, somehow, the developers managed to balance them perfectly (I played on Survival 1).

They're very hard indeed - and you tend to use your entire arsenal to take them out - in a constant state of panic and excitement.

Well, at least that's how I felt playing it with a controller at 30 FPS :)

I'm still nowhere near to try and take on a horde. I just outrun them. It's funny to see them gathering, and you quickly eye your escape route. In one of the situations where I met them, I couldn't see any obvious way to go around them, since they were spread too much, so I took my chance and somehow managed to gothrogh them, but this was before they gathered. Had any of them decided to jump on me, or had I crashed into one of the trees, I'd have been dead.

You'll get there.

Let me know how you feel about them once you've had your first taste of real zombie combat ;)

…trying to minimize bullet usage. …
I was considering to try this game, but your remark raises a warning light for me.

Does it mean this game is like some horror games where enemies re-spawn faster than ammunition? I believe it was in "silent Hill 4", which I found in a gaming magazine (when magazines still had CDs in them) and tried for a few minutes. I accidentally returned to a place I had already visited and unavoidably died because enemies had re-spawned but ammunition hadn't. I stopped playing that game immediately and wouldn't want to play a game with such mechanics. So I would be grateful for an opinion here.

Edit: I don't have a problem, if I need to avoid or outrun enemies. But that wasn't possible in that situation.

It's only an issue if you're so OCD that you try to kill everything you see. The game isn't meant to be played that way.

It's only an issue if you're so OCD that you try to kill everything you see. The game isn't meant to be played that way.
Thanks for the info, that is completely ok for me. If I have the chance to avoid or outrun enemies, I have no problem, as mentioned above.

Thanks for the info, that is completely ok for me. If I have the chance to avoid or outrun enemies, I have no problem, as mentioned above.

It's very much a scavenging/resource type of game, meaning you will tend to have a surplus of supplies if you're thorough when exploring and you take care not to waste ammo/fuel.

I don't remember it being overly rigid or tight in terms of balance - but there was definitely a nice sensation of being rewarded for being economical about resources.

As it should be, I think.

It does have a few gamey concessions, though.

For one, the Bike starts out ridiculously low in fuel capacity. We're talking 10-15 minutes of fuel or something.

They obviously did that to promote the sense of progression as you upgrade it - and it does end up having more than enough fuel for most journeys.

In that same way, there's the unfortunate limitations on how much ammo you can carry and so forth, because modern games - for one reason or another - don't want you to horde resources if you choose.

Not a fan of the philosophy myself, but it works much better in Days Gone than most of these zombie scavenging games.

Last of Us 2, for instance, was way, way too rigid with its resources for my tastes.

I've just reached Lost Lake, and hot dang does the world open up. I was sure it was going to be only the areas I've explored so far. I love it that there are still factions which I haven't seen yet. Also, Lost Lake is gorgeous.

I'm starting to really like the story structure. In that there are multiple threads being weaved together. The only story part that's getting a bit weak, is Lisa, the teenager.

I mean, I rescue her. And then she keeps running away from camps, where she has to work, but is much safer than among the freakers. It's getting annoying. I wonder if it comes together in the end, with a poignant reason.

Also, while exploring I found White King's Mine. Holy shit did I get a horde of a surprise in there. An initial wave was standing at the entrance. In pitch black. And when I shine my flashlight on them, the chase me down. But I somehow manage to kill them. Then I head in again, and the real wave came crashing down on me. Dead in a few seconds. :lol:

It's weird, I keep changing my mind about these Mass Effect games.

For the longest time, I preferred the first one - but I quite enjoyed the second one.

I never really cared one way or the other about the third one.

Then I started actively despising the second one - for some reason. I just found that I hated how streamlined and dumbed down it is.

Now, I'm almost at the point where I actually prefer ME2 over ME1 - because I guess it fits better with my mood - and there's really no denying it's a lot less of a hassle to play.

I'm a lot more fickle than I thought :)

I'm curious how I'll feel about the trilogy once I'm done with them all. I still think Andromeda is better than all of them - but that's because I'm much more of a gameplay+exploration guy - than I'm into the Bioware style of writing characters or melodrama.

I don't know if I have the stamina to replay Andromeda too, though.

I'm curious how I'll feel about the trilogy once I'm done with them all. I still think Andromeda is better than all of them - but that's because I'm much more of a gameplay+exploration guy - than I'm into the Bioware style of writing characters or melodrama.

I also liked Andromeda more than ME 1-3, and I think it was just a few design decisions away from being great. I don't think I'd ever replay any of them though tbh.

I didn't.
It integrated mmolike grind and it's Mako is not fun.

After playing ME2 LE for a while, I have a few thoughts about the improvements - and the things that still bother me about it.

LE improvements:

HDR integration. The more HDR games I play, the more I'm learning to appreciate the impact of having such powerful colors and deep blacks (I'm using an OLED screen which obviously helps). The ME HDR integration is among the better examples of this, as well. I think Zero Dawn is still the best I've seen, though.

Ammo changes. There's a clear difference here and it's for the better. In the past, you really struggled with Sniper ammo for the first few missions - to the point where you couldn't reliably focus on it - which sucked as an Infiltrator. It's significantly more generous now. I hardly ever have to use weapons I don't specialize in or want to use.

Visual changes. They're more subtle than ME for obvious reasons, as ME2 is the more recent game. But textures are really quite well done - though I don't see that much difference compared to the available mods - but it's nice to have it all in one package. Shadows also seem less glitchy.

Load times. For whatever reason, these are FAST. They might have been limited to animation speed in the past - as the actual animations are also much faster. This makes a bigger difference than one would think - especially on the Normandy where you're constantly changing decks.

ME2 issues that remain:

FOV is rather atrocious, but thankfully this can be easily fixed with a mod - which I HIGHLY recommend doing for all the games.

The whole "one button to do everything" is still there. I hate that sprinting and going into cover is using the same key - and I'm constantly struggling to get out of cover as ME2 is one of the earlier examples of copying the popular Gears of War cover-shooter formula. Later games learned to make this transition much more natural.

The minigames - particularly scanning planets. Oh my, how I hate these. I'm ok with the circuit minigame - but the planet scanning and hacking stuff is just terrible.

When on a "combat mission" - you can't interact with most stuff without drawing your weapon. This is so annoying. For instance, if you want to listen to an audio log - you must draw your weapon first, which is very noisy and will block out the first few words of the log. Also, when you click log #2 - Shephard will draw his weapon AGAIN - as if it was holstered. Argh!

Way, way too much filler combat. But that's me. ME2 has particularly predictable combat scenarios. It's literally one room talk, one room fight - and cover is placed in such an obvious way that you will know when something is coming well before it happens - and that makes the whole ordeal worse. It's just too rigidly set up - and it's the same challenge over and over. Shielded enemies or armored enemies. Big challenge = both shield and armor.

Shared cooldown on abilities. This pisses me off to no end. Why can't I cloak and use my powers, for instance? I HATE shared cooldowns :)

Writing remains a mixture of neat concepts but with pretty awful and cringe Bioware melodrama. Almost no character is naturally introduced, except perhaps for Jacob. All other characters instantly shove their "edgy" personality down your throat and every other sentence will be there to remind you that this person is really special in his or her own particular way. To me, that's pretty terrible writing - but I concede that it's above average for a video game from that era.

I still miss exploring with the MAKO - even if the execution in ME sucked for the most part. But it's my favorite part of ME1 and Andromeda - as exploring strange new worlds is exactly the kind of thing I adore about sci-fi.

---

That said, overall I'm enjoying myself - mostly because of the strong sci-fi atmosphere and the thought of finally completing all three games in one go, once and for all.

While I still think 60 Euro is steep for such old games, it's not as unreasonable as I first thought.

Of course, I didn't pay that much for it - but now that I've seen the changes I might have.

I know people are arguing that it's a great deal because of all the DLC - but I happen to think the price and nature of the DLCs were always very unreasonable. They're all either trivial crap like added items - or story stuff that most definitely should have been part of the complete package.

Having them all in one package is neat, yeah - but that doesn't make it that great a deal.

Not to me, anyway.

Thanks for sharing your impressions @TheDart; :)

60 EUR could be an OK price for someone who's directly spending a lot of time in it, and perhaps playing at least one episode for the first time. Many "Enhanced Edition" of older games are around 15-20 EUR and not always remastered. But they're forcing it a bit by packaging 3 games, and I doubt I'd complete the 3 games any time soon so I may as well wait for a sales opportunity.

HDR integration. The more HDR games I play, the more I'm learning to appreciate the impact of having such powerful colors and deep blacks (I'm using an OLED screen which obviously helps).
Did you return here only to throw again some consoley red herrings, placebo and artistic irrelevance?

I have been amazed with hyperrealism paintings - when I was less than 18.
Example, this is not a photo, it's oil on canvas (mostly), believe it or not:
x_h0147.JPG

As the time passed I've learned to appreciate RL for what it is, but even more the products of imagination that seem to cannot exist in reality.

In other words, if you were 18-, I'd understand you getting high by just seeing techniques.
But you are not. And HDR is bullshit. IMO ofc.

That aside, I thought you'll be shilling for another Destiny/Anthem clone, or some mainstream mmo/coop whatnot. Not the franchise I'm #1 fan of.
What changed?

I started replaying Mass Effect 1 (not the new upsell) last week just for a refresh and remind myself of whether or not I would still enjoy it, and it is fine … but I lost interest after several hours. Think I will hold off on Anniversary edition until there is a big sale.

Back
Top Bottom