Fallout 4 - About the short Announcement-to-Release Window

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Todd Howard explains to Gamespot why he prefers shorter short announcement-to-release windows:

Fallout 4 Director on Why Bethesda Intentionally Held Back Info Before Launch

Todd Howard also teases that Bethesda's future games could have an even shorter announcement-to-release window.

[...]

The game industry veteran, who also directed The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 3, went on to say that it can be problematic to talk about a game so long before its release. Game development is a fluid, ongoing process, and game mechanics and systems can change as development progresses.

"The other thing is, while you're making a game, you're figuring out, 'OK, what's really good about it?' 'What's this?' 'What's this?' If you're talking about that too early, people aren't getting excited, they're getting anxious."

"Tell me about this," a fan might ask. Howard would have to reply, "I can't." Another fan might ask, "How does this work?" and because the game isn't finished yet, Howard would say he's not sure.

"It's just a bad conversation to have," he explained. Instead, Howard would rather wait to announce a game until he's confident in what the team can deliver.

[...]
Thanks Couch!

More information.

I call B.S.. There's a middle ground to be had between being rude, complacent schmucks, not even confirming the existence of a sequel to the the legions of fans (who mod your otherwise forgettable husk and keep it in the public consciousness) and making it only known at some self-aggrandizing event mere months before release.

This is a hilarious video about Toddy here…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGXCisAaR4

I'm sorry, but I don't think personally attacking someone and calling them names is appropriate. Yes, Todd promised features that didn't come true. But he's also the driving force behind games that have inspired and immersed millions of players.

Maybe you don't like Bethesda games (yes, Fallout 4 was disappointing), but being so petty as to rail and mock a fellow human being. That's not cool. At all.

PS: getting back ON TOPIC, I very much respect Bethesda for working hard on their game for years and waiting until it was almost done to announcement it. All games should do this.

I call B.S.. There's a middle ground to be had between being rude, complacent schmucks, not even confirming the existence of a sequel to the the legions of fans (who mod your otherwise forgettable husk and keep it in the public consciousness) and making it only known at some self-aggrandizing event mere months before release.

Come on, was there 1 fan that didn't think they were already working on it?

I much preferred the way they did it to vs 2 years of hype and waiting. Personally I'd rather not hear anything in advance and the game just show up one day.

I'm sorry, but I don't think personally attacking someone and calling them names is appropriate. Yes, Todd promised features that didn't come true. But he's also the driving force behind games that have inspired and immersed millions of players.

Maybe you don't like Bethesda games (yes, Fallout 4 was disappointing), but being so petty as to rail and mock a fellow human being. That's not cool. At all.

PS: getting back ON TOPIC, I very much respect Bethesda for working hard on their game for years and waiting until it was almost done to announcement it. All games should do this.

Eh, Brumbek, I was only joking...nothing harmful by it, anyway.

I much preferred the way they did it to vs 2 years of hype and waiting. Personally I'd rather not hear anything in advance and the game just show up one day.
And not be disappointed when the game doesn't live up to the hype.

Agree with you both 100% as I hate when publishers market games to early. Also most of the games get delayed, and we get a few more months of PR marketing.:nod:

Last edited:
I haven't played Fallout 4 yet, and I have a gut feeling that I probably won't be in love with the game. Bethesda frustrates me, because even though I gravitate towards their approach, I feel that their games are capable of so much more, and I strongly dislike that they seem to have stagnated and are too comfortable with their familiar formula.

That said, I really like this sort of marketing approach. I think it's really refreshing that, including the Skyrim announcement, they have actually limited the big, overblown triple-A hype machine that is so common with big games in the industry. It's quite commendable really, and I respect them for taking this approach.

Back
Top Bottom