Alerting Myself

lackblogger

SasqWatch
I seem to get an alert whenever I quote someone when replying to them. I don't really need to be alerted to the fact that I've quoted someone, I'm fully aware of that fact when I quote them. Is this by design or is this just a necessary consequence of the function that allows us to be alerted if someone else quotes us?

That is odd. Notifications are send because of you quoting someone and when you are being mentioned. It should not happen because you quote someone. At least not to you.

Hmm, I wonder if it's just me?

I've just checked my profile page and all the settings that look like they might be relevant, but I can't see any tickboxes that suggest it's something that I've changed specifically.

What kind of alerts are you getting? E-mails?

If you mean the notification you get at the top right… yes, you get a notification when quoting someone.
In case you forgot that you’ve quoted someone you can also see them in your profile. ;)
See:

Attachments

• 2F274CE2-D9AA-4272-A1E4-6E3E680C7D31.jpg
    2F274CE2-D9AA-4272-A1E4-6E3E680C7D31.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 100
Ah, ok, so it is by design. Good to know.

Is there any tickbox I can check/uncheck in my profile options to stop it doing that but retain any other profile alerts?

That's odd. I don't think I ever got a notification for that. I quote people all the time and heavily rely on notifications for all my communications (mail notifications).
Also didn't see any option to enable or disable anything related to quotes.

I was not talking about mail notification. On the forums, at the top right of the screen you see ‘notifications’ (or whatever it is called), that is, whenever you are mentioned, mentioning, quoting or quoted.

Last edited:
One of today's alerts was the following message:

June 14th, 2019
05:48 - Deleted Posts

With the above message not being linked to anything. I don't recall deleting anything. What's going on with this?

My guess is that somebody that quoted you deleted that message.
I can’t tell from the info, so no idea what post or where.

Edit:
The plural does not imply it is more than one post. I have seen it before, then it was one singular post (with a quote) being deleted by someone else.

Ah, ok, that sounds better than thinking someone's figured my password and gone on a deletion spree :)

Ah, you worry too much; who’d ever want to that to such a nice bloke like you? :)

Btw. If it were several posts there would be several timings. Now that would raise my eyebrows.

If it is any consolation:
“alerts”, aka ‘notifications’ are exclusively about quotes and mentions (and being quoted/mentioned). The same applies to ‘your’ 05:48 - Deleted Posts’: it can be found in your profile > Quotes.
If someone had figured your pw and gone on a deletion spree to get rid of all/many of your posts, you’d not be notified.
:)

Another issue I have with Alerts is that once you've clicked the little arrow next to the bolded number in the top right and read each new alert, when you then go back to the site proper it will show the number 0 as your alerts and the number 0 will not be clickable, so if you have several alerts, read through them, then go back to the site and then forget what one of the alerts was for you can't go back and have a look.

The path for Alerts is:

Rpgwatch forums >> Member's List >> lackblogger's Profile

But when you click Memeber's List, find your profile name and click it then the page you go to doesn't have any Alerts.

The only way to navigate to your list of alerts is when you have an active Alert.

My workaround has been to copy/paste the direct webpage address of the page into notepad and then copy/paste that into my browser's address bar whenever I want to check already read Alerts. I've looked all over the links in my profile and there doesn't seem to be any that take you to your Alerts page.

Good tip.

There is no direct link, correct. But the Profile Page does contain ‘Mentions’ and ‘Quotes’, which are listed in the Alerts.

Also, you don’t need to go to the Members List to see the Profile. On any forum: click on the name of the person you are interested in (left window of the post), and choose ‘view public profile’. It’ll take you to the same page.

Back
Top Bottom