Fade to Silence - Review @ IndianNoob

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IndianNoob has reviewed the upcoming survival RPG Fade to Silence:

Fade to Silence Review (PC) - Eurojank Survival

I got a special thing for Eurojank games. For those who don't know, the term refers to games of European origin (duh) that are a bit rough around the edges when it comes to polish and presentation but offer deep nuanced gameplay beneath it all. Yes someone once made up the word and we're sticking with it. Titles like Gothic, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Drakensang, Precursors, etc fall into this category. They may not be much to look at and may not be for everyone, but there's more to it than meets the eye. Black Forest Games' Fade to Silence has all the makings of one such game. Ambitious yet uncanny, interesting yet unsure. The only way to know for sure was by playing through from the very beginning right to the end. After spending 25+ hours in the game and beating the main story, here is what I think of Fade to Silence.

[...]

Verdict
Fade to Silence is a fun single-player survival experience if you can get past some of its rough edges. The atmosphere is amazing, survival mechanics are well-implemented and balanced, and there's even a semi-decent story to boot. What it could use are a few patches to polish things up and fix the awful crashing issue along with adding some varied content. That being said, I do think that the release price of 39,99EUR / $39,99 / 34,99 is a bit too high for the game in its current state and it's not for everyone. If you're like me and likes diamonds in the rough, wait for a price drop and pick Fade to Silence up.

Score: 6.8/10
More information.

At least he called it Eurojank Survival & not Eurojank Survival RPG like other sites.:lol:

I didn't know the term "Eurojank" - here's a defenition:
Top definition: eurojank
"Eurojank" is an unofficial term for that class of sprawling, verbose, and oftentimes glitchy action/RPG titles originating from Eastern European nations like Russia, Poland, and Ukraine. (At the top of that heap is The Witcher 3, whose previous two games were decidedly less even; more recent examples include Elex, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and The Technomancer.) And rarely do these games hold players' hands, usually because they lack tutorials or because of unclear GUI elements.

Sounds good :)

PS: ELEX is from Germany = Western/Middle European

I didn't know the term either, but I guess I'm a fan of eurojank.

Edit: another insightful review by the IndianNoob. He sold me on the game with this line: "Fade to Silence can be described as The Long Dark or Frostpunk if it was developed by Piranha Bytes."

Last edited:
Well based on various Beta and Alpha reviews I hope it's been optimized. So I guess yes it's comparable to Eurojank, and feels like it was developed by Piranha Bytes.":biggrin:

I didn't know the term either, but I guess I'm a fan of eurojank.

Edit: another insightful review by the IndianNoob. He sold me on the game with this line: "Fade to Silence can be described as The Long Dark or Frostpunk if it was developed by Piranha Bytes."
:D Great to hear that. Wait for a substantial price drop though. The price will be going up to 39.99 in some hours.

Well based on various Beta and Alpha reviews I hope it's been optimized. So I guess yes it's comparable to Eurojank, and feels like it was developed by Piranha Bytes.":biggrin:
60-100 fps on my 1070 pretty much all the time. But man it crashes like a partypooper

At least he called it Eurojank Survival & not Eurojank Survival RPG like other sites.:lol:
xD like I said mentioned in the review, the Dark Souls combat comparison is running rampant

Well Dark Soul comparisons just make me want to avoid the game. Wont go into detail why but it's well known I hate Dark Souls, and wont play it's various clones.

Glad you had no performance problems except the crashes at least.:)

Well Dark Soul comparisons just make me want to avoid the game. Wont go into detail why but it's well known I hate Dark Souls, and wont play it's various clones.

Glad you had no performance problems except the crashes at least.:)
It's not really akin to DS in reality. I was just mocking the mainstream media's tendency to compare everything to DS :p Combat is more like a simplified version of Risen or Elex

I'm not fond of the eurojank or eurotrash etc nomenclature as it likely greatly offends central and eastern European mindsets & probably has the effect of making people from those places more bloody-minded in their desire to promote any such titled games out of subconscious protest at the slight. jRPGs aren't called Japawful or Japoor after all.

I say this because it's been on my mind for a while now that central/eastern europe should probably have it's own monicer as currently we only have the delineations of Western RPG and jRPG, whereas there's now quite a sizeable quantity of RPGs coming from a whole new area that doesn't really want to be nor is properly describable as either wRPG or jPRG, to which the notions of quasi-cloning but with a penchant for both realism and survival combined with AAA ambitions on a single A budget resulting in a half-decent but a bit janky AA result seem to have too great an individuality to call them either wRPG or Jrpg.

Actual location of the development studio is also a hard one to pin down though as so much of Eastern Europe has emigrated west over the years and a lot of these kinds of developers soon set up shop in the west as soon as they can if they aren't already here.

Just like Japanese games, central and eastern european games tend to have a slightly different and unique flavor, and I like a lot of these games, but I agree that calling the Witcher 3, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Elex, King's Bounty, Disciples 2, or Kingdom Come: Deliverance trash is just plain wrong.

I read you can't jump in this game.. duh... it was interesting until i read that part, imagine e.g Gothic without being able to explore through jumping/climbing.
You can. But it's not that useful or even needed

Witcher 3 was the opposite of Jank. Well written, fully fleshed out. Combat got boring and the avalanche of loot outclassing even named items was bad, though.

Witcher 3 was the opposite of Jank. Well written, fully fleshed out. Combat got boring and the avalanche of loot outclassing even named items was bad, though.
I found the Witcher Gear was all you needed the rest was useless, Only downside was finding the diagrams, but if you wanted a simple console cheat solves that.

Surprised more games didn't go the Gothic route where armor was earned.

I remember the loot differently: nearly everything being outclassed by crafted items (witcher sets), with the exception of a few good swords (named, not random loot).

I remember the loot differently: nearly everything being outclassed by crafted items (witcher sets), with the exception of a few good swords (named, not random loot).

This. The Witcher sets were overpowered imo, and I'll actually be ignoring them during my next playthrough. In fact I might even look for a mod to remove them completely.

Back
Top Bottom