RPG Codex - Vote for the best RPGs

I can live with the Codex list - I have played every game in the top 50 except for Grimoire (I still have to play it). And I have played 186 of all 278 listed games.

@lackblogger;

I'm not saying there system would make sense here. But, they had an issue that is quite similar to what you discussed. They were trying to change their voting system so that it is less easily gamed by a minority of voters.

I can live with the Codex list - I have played every game in the top 50 except for Grimoire (I still have to play it). And I have played 186 of all 278 listed games.

Aw, I was hoping you'd ask me to tell you about the stats of your favourite Beatles song :(

:D

@lackblogger;

I'm not saying there system would make sense here. But, they had an issue that is quite similar to what you discussed. They were trying to change their voting system so that it is less easily gamed by a minority of voters.

Ah right, you should have said. Indeed, it's a known and common problem.

The results aren't posted all that prominently on the site. Here they are so others don't have to poke around.

ETA: Aw, I was the only vote for the Banner Saga. :(

And Codexers really love Age of Decadence. It was okay...

While My Guitar Gently Weeps by The Beatles was viewed 15,916,824 times in the nine months since it was uploaded in 2018, making it the 11th most popular Beatles song for the period.

I think the most notable codex 'trend' from this poll is the complete collapse of the two major pen and paper cRPG series: D&D and The Dark Eye. Aside from two of the top three games being D&D, you have go a long, long way down the list to find any more, and when you do the news is very bad indeed

Don't you think the high entry of P:K balances that out, though?

The Pathfinder system is mechanically a far closer relative to D&D 3rd ed than 3rd ed is to 2nd ed.

Don't you think the high entry of P:K balances that out, though?

The Pathfinder system is mechanically a far closer relative to D&D 3rd ed than 3rd ed is to 2nd ed.

That just suggests the more dedicated members there haven't had the chance to develop a good hate-strategy against it, so it still has recency bias, what with it being only a few months old.

Dragon Age: Origins was once upon a time their game of the year, but after a decade of directed hate it now no longer figures in the codex pantheon of notable games.

In 2016 Witcher 3 beat Age of Decadence to be the best game of the modern era, it's taken only a year or two for that to reverse and W3 is now on the path of the above.

Likewise, Divinty: Original Sin was the number 1 game of 2014 there ahead of Dragonfall, was voted 3rd in the above 2016 poll ahead of Underrail but now languashes in the also rans of this latest poll, now that the dedicated have had a good few years to focus their intent.

Why? Because games like Underrail, Dragonfall provide a more fallout-like tactical gun experience in a post-apoclyptic world, Age of Decadence also providing that whole apocolyptic depressive kind of atmosphere.

To be honest, I have no idea how or why both BG2 and PS:T remain at the top there, they're like the sore thumbs in the sea of the dedicated. You'd think with so much love then games similar to those would also perform well, but they don't.

Maybe kingmaker will hang around for a bit, you never know, but I'm guessing it has more to do with the Avellone fan-club there than either game design or systems. If historical precedence is anything to go by it just means the dedicated haven't had a chance to develop an attack strategy yet.

It gives @purpleblob; a reason to be happy for a few years though, and for that reason I agree that it was a good result for that game, I much prefer a happy PB :)

To be honest, I have no idea how or why both BG2 and PS:T remain at the top there, they're like the sore thumbs in the sea of the dedicated. You'd think with so much love then games similar to those would also perform well, but they don't.

It's because BG2 is so awesome, even Codex can't deny it no matter how biased ;)

Maybe kingmaker will hang around for a bit, you never know, but I'm guessing it has more to do with the Avellone fan-club there than either game design or systems. If historical precedence is anything to go by it just means the dedicated haven't had a chance to develop an attack strategy yet.

It gives @purpleblob; a reason to be happy for a few years though, and for that reason I agree that it was a good result for that game, I much prefer a happy PB :)

Yep, it makes me happy :D Yay, Kingmaker!

Overall, I'm pretty happy most of the game I voted for scored highly.

I predicted:
BG2 to end up in top 5 - correct
Kingmaker to end up in top 20 - correct
Icewind Dale to end up in top 30 - correct

The only disappointment was NWN1 but I knew Codex prefers NWN2 over 1.

I also voted ME1 & 2 and Expeditions: Viking but I knew these will be definitely outside of top 70.

5 of my top 15 made their top 30. OTOH, 4 of my top 10 made their top 10. My one outlier was Might and Magic 6 which was #28. The top 5 was exactly what I expected from them but the list overall was kind of a surprise. And overall it was one of the better best RPG listings I have seen as of late.

Point based voting polls suck. Not a single one of you will change my mind.:p

Is no one else curious to know where their favourite Beatles song ranks in the pantheon of current popularity?

I am disappointed. :raincloud:

Aww, thanks!! :)

I wrote a review on it - might be good idea to have a quick read (and comments) before you make the purchase?

https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/expeditions--viking-review-430.html
If I remember the developer was bought by THQ Nordic this year. The next game was supposed to be set in Rome called Legion. I don't know if that's still the plan.
I'll spare you a whole page on why and simply say it's a Codex poll. Nuff said.;)

Their next game is Divinity: Fallen Heroes ;)

Their next game is Divinity: Fallen Heroes ;)
Completely forgot about that game thanks for the reminder.

Any new news yet as GamesCom 2019 is soon? Will they be there?

Back
Top Bottom