Skyrim Idea place to store my loots/collections

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Remus

Antihero
I am still in the early part of the game (learning the first dragon shout); and already carrying tons of stuff. Where should i put them without disappearing later? So far i found suggestions including:

-get married to someone with a house
-buy yourself a house (but need tons of money)
-kill someone and take over her/his house?
-put stuffs in the bones of first dragon you killed near Whiterun (safe?)
-use your companion (heard of problem they could disappeared due to bug)
-Gerdur's house in the Riverwood?
-the chest near the main entrance into High Hrothgar?

The only completely safe place is a home you bought, as far as I know. 5,000 for the house in Whiterun is not that bad, I had that saved up pretty quickly.

Just complete the initial quests in Whitehold so you get Lydia as your companion. She can carry a lot of stuff. Then buy a house once you get 5000 gold.

Questions is : do items dropped in world / other people houses - disappear ?

Questions is : do items dropped in world / other people houses - disappear ?

I'm pretty sure they don't.

And there are a lot of non respawning containers in the world. I have been using a barrel just by the fast travel spawn point of Whitewatch Tower in Whiterun Hold.

Do NOT count on random containers! In every previous incarnation of Elder Scrolls (plus the Fallouts) random containers eventually reset and you will lose all your stuff.

By "reset", do you mean restock? Because I honestly don't remember that ever happening in my games. It definitely didn't happen in FO3.

By "reset", do you mean restock? Because I honestly don't remember that ever happening in my games. It definitely didn't happen in FO3.

It happens in all their games since Morrowind. They wipe the containers and refresh them after a certain period of time. Some containers are exempt and the community usually figures out which ones. All containers in a home you own are exempt.

They do that, as far as I know, to keep the game from having to save too much information.

Regarding containers in Skyrim..

Chests and other containers can store nearly unlimited amounts of items. However, most chests in the game reset, that is, they clear out all the contents after a certain period of time. Most chests reset after about a week of game time, however, examining the contents of the chest causes the countdown to start over. A chest could be made to never reset simply by opening it once every 5-6 days or so.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Chests_and_containers

@DoctorNarrative- You mean in all their TES games, right? I never encountered resetting containers in my playthrough of FO3.

@DoctorNarrative- You mean in all their TES games, right? I never encountered resetting containers in my playthrough of FO3.

I never noticed Fallout 3 being different, but I never really looked into it.

Apparently each container has a flag that says whether it should be reset or not. In Oblivion and Morrowind they all seemed to reset except for a few safe ones. They may have changed the default in FO 3 but some definitely do reset.

Do NOT count on random containers! In every previous incarnation of Elder Scrolls (plus the Fallouts) random containers eventually reset and you will lose all your stuff.

Technically that's not true as far as my memory of New Vegas goes. I used the rubbish dumpster in Goodsprings next to the general store for my storage for a massive proportion of the game and didn't lose any of my gear.

Sounds like a Skyrim issue. I know it was one of the first things I read about in that leaked manual.

Sounds like a Skyrim issue. I know it was one of the first things I read about in that leaked manual.

Whether it is true in Fallout or not it is definitely true in Oblivion and Morrowind, and was in the manuals to those games as well.

Whether it is true in Fallout or not it is definitely true in Oblivion and Morrowind, and was in the manuals to those games as well.

I don't know about the Oblivion manual (I'm too lazy to dig it out right now), but the manual for Morrowind contains no such information.

You know come to think of it, I think that's right. I don't think Morrowind did the refresh thing, and the fact that saved games could go haywire eventually is what made them change that for Oblivion. My mistake.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 (and one assumes New Vegas) do wipe non-owned containers though, I just ran around and checked with the internet. Here is the relevant entry in the Fallout 3 wiki.

Back
Top Bottom