Eye Of The Beholder 3 - Free Download Links

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Indie Retro News is offering everyone the chance to download a fan patched Eye Of The Beholder 3 for free. I know some of you might be interested so here are the details.
It was today that I added the last Eye Of The Beholder to my collection. The third EOB dungeon crawler RPG in the trilogy of Eye of the Beholder series, the Assault on Myth Drannor. Unlike the previous games it was not developed by Westwood Studios but in-house by the publisher SSI in 1993/4. The third and final game of the Eye of the Beholder series would see players embarking on a quest to the fabled ruins of the city of Myth Drannor. In my opinion it was still a worthy dungeon crawler, but many fans of the series did not like it at all, as it had over sized maze like maps, performance problems, unchallenging battles with poorly designed puzzles and the storyline wasn't so good. But yet I still enjoyed it, and today you can too, with a lot of those performance problems fan fixed! This is a completely portable runnable edition, fixed up by myself. No longer will you have to mess with lots of settings and copy over freely available files, nope. Just run and go! A real treat for Dungeon Crawler fans, so read on!

Eye of the Beholder 3 fan patched version is running with the AESOP/32 instead of the AESOP/16 engine. It makes the difference between it running unbearably choppy and now almost perfectly smooth. Original thread and fanbased coder info here & original emulator (DOSBOX) here "Basically all you have to do is unpack the EOB3.ZIP file to your C:\ then run DOSBoxPortable in the EOB3 directory, it's that simple! If you want to edit screen sizes or go full screen every time just edit the dosbox.conf file in C:\Games\eob3\Data\settings.
More information.

Last edited:
Do you have anything about the background of this "offer"?
Is it abandonware or truely available for free now?

Wondering when EotB finally comes to gog.com but the licensing might be a mess I guess.

I still have my copy... but reading the post they say that this one is fan-patched. I'll give it a try... you know, from time to time I do the EOB marathon, from 1 to 3, importing saves. I really love those games.

As far as I know the games are abandonware now, and I can give you links to over a dozen of legit sites were you can download all three games.

The site is also not a warez or pirate site. The site is for" The latest free games, indie games, retro games and Kickstarter news".

This is also a free fan patched version.

I still have my copy… but reading the post they say that this one is fan-patched. I'll give it a try… you know, from time to time I do the EOB marathon, from 1 to 3, importing saves. I really love those games.

I've still got my retail box of EOTB 1 for Amiga. :)

I never played 2 or 3, though I heard 2 was the best?

But my favourite marathon is easily the Champions, Deathknights and Dark Queen of Krynn series! :D

Its a shame we never got a Dragonlance "Baldurs Gate" game on Infinity engine. I swear Dragonlance was way more popular and had ALL the iconic DND characters like Raislin, Strum, Tasselhoff, etc

EOTB had some annoying bits like tiles that changed your facing when you stood on them. That confused me into frustration once.

Seems it won't run in Win 64 bit!! Pity. I've lost my old original version.

Seems it won't run in Win 64 bit!! Pity. I've lost my old original version.
Are you using Win 7 or Win 8? You also have to run the game differently.
Basically all you have to do is unpack the EOB3.ZIP file to your C:\ then run DOSBoxPortable in the EOB3 directory, it's that simple! If you want to edit screen sizes or go full screen every time just edit the dosbox.conf file in C:\Games\eob3\Data\settings.
Followed the instructions as it says, and the game loads fine on my WIN 7 64-bit version.

Last edited:
I've still got my original PC version in the Forgotten Realms Archive and it works fine with some tweaking. I never did complete Eye of the Beholder 3 back in the day, as it definitely didn't quite have the magical AD&D exploration that the first two games had. Still, it'd be nice to beat it one day. :)

Thanks for the link Couch!

Heh i stil l got EOTB 1 +2 Amiga Versions lying around here, i know where the boxes and manual are, just not sure about the disks lol.

Just for the record, i've been using abandonware alot a few years back, but if nothing changed in laws since then, they have technically never been legal without the right holders consent.

Usually the games are just old and forgotten enough no one will throw a fuss about them.

I've still got my original PC version in the Forgotten Realms Archive and it works fine with some tweaking. I never did complete Eye of the Beholder 3 back in the day, as it definitely didn't quite have the magical AD&D exploration that the first two games had. Still, it'd be nice to beat it one day. :)

Thanks for the link Couch!

Oh that's right, it was in the silver archives wasn't it ? At least i know where i have the pc version of those lying around lol.

Just for the record, i've been using abandonware alot a few years back, but if nothing changed in laws since then, they have technically never been legal without the right holders consent.

Usually the games are just old and forgotten enough no one will throw a fuss about them.

Yep, that's also my state of knowledge. They'd become clearly illegal again as soon as you can purchase them again somewhere.
There are hardly any "truely" free games like Daggerfall, where the Dev/Publisher said "our game is free now!".

i still fondly remember the abrupt wall of text ending for EOB1

So, what are the changes in this 'fan patch'?

I still have the EOB3 box; it came out in Poland when still not many people bought original games. I remember the huge book that came with it and that the game itself was mediocre in comparison to it ;) (Loved EoB1 btw, and there's a new automapper around.)

As far as I know the games are abandonware now, and I can give you links to over a dozen of legit sites were you can download all three games.

The site is also not a warez or pirate site. The site is for" The latest free games, indie games, retro games and Kickstarter news".

This is also a free fan patched version.

Hey Spud, are you sure about this? Copyright in this country is the life of the author plus 70 years. I think its 50 for company owned IP that has no single creator. At the very least it has the D&D stamp on it which is a registered trade mark.

The game/games are over 20 years old, and is abandonware now Lucky Day.

I also live on the US, and I doubt anyone is even going to care anymore. I have used other shareware & abandonware sites for over ten years now.

Not once have I been sent a warning, or copyright notice.;)
Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available. Although such software is usually still under copyright, the owner will not be tracking, or enforcing copyright violations.
So to sum it up unless the copyright owner throws a fit, or re-releases the games on GOG, or Steam no one is going to care. This is the last time I will repeat myself.

Update: The website uploaded a new version that fixes the start up problems. So for those that download the game enjoy, and be sure to thank the site.

Last edited:
Are you using Win 7 or Win 8? You also have to run the game differently.
Followed the instructions as it says, and the game loads fine on my WIN 7 64-bit version.

I did the exact same thing on my Win 7 64 bit system and got an error message which said I needed a 64 bit version of Aesop. I unzipped the game, went into the folder and clicked on DB Portable and it wouldn't work.

UPDATE: It now works with the new FIXED version, thanks.

I did the exact same thing on my Win 7 64 bit system and got an error message which said I needed a 64 bit version of Aesop. I unzipped the game, went into the folder and clicked on DB Portable and it wouldn't work.
Try the new download Corwin. I had the same problem as you did at first, but it was my fault for not following the install instructions.:blush:
UPDATE : Fixed version uploaded, different dosbox used to fix errors with sound and music, and also better config mounting thanks to tomse. Make sure to delete your previous EOB 3 game and use this one instead.
Just extract the whole file to your C: drive, and it will create it's own directory and folders. The first time I opened the RAR file I moved it somewhere else.

Last edited:
Yes but you certainly shouldn't be posting the links on this site on the front page. If it is not enforced does not make it legal. That is more than enough grounds for your hosting company or ISP to pull the plug if it receives a complaint. A link in the forums might be okay - but front page? Given this site does receive money from legitimate retailers as well?

Always can count on a few users killing the joy of sharing a free 20 year old game that's not sold anywhere on line, or in a store anymore.:roll:

Anyway I have removed the download links, and front-page post. The post is still on the forums for those that want to download the game from the site instead.

So with that I bid you all a goodnight.:salute:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom