|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » HOMM III HD - Short Review Roundup

Default HOMM III HD - Short Review Roundup

January 31st, 2015, 07:42
I found three new reviews for the recently released Heroes of Might & Magic III HD.

Softpedia -9/10

Many see Ubisoft's decision to remaster Heroes of Might & Magic III as a cash-grab move. Perhaps, but I prefer to think of it as a tribute the French publisher has decided to pay to a long-lasting franchise.

I'm aware that some of the latest HOMM games are nowhere near what the third game in the series is, and I absolutely agree that that is Ubisoft's fault.

But reviving one of the best games launched more than 15 years ago will never be a bad move, in my opinion, if the improvements are visible and worth the money.
Gamezone - 7.5/10

In every way, the Heroes of Might & Magic III HD Edition is better than its 15 year old predecessor. I foresee this game only really appealing to those who actually played the original though. Since there have been three games in the franchise released since Heroes of Might & Magic III’s original release in 1999, with another coming out this year, there are newer options available. Heroes of Might & Magic III HD Edition plays and looks exactly like a re-release of an older game, with some much needed optimizations. While that is a pretty obvious statement, it’s important as far as expectations go; it’s either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your desires. Sort of how there is a mix of regret and liberation after seeing an ex you haven’t seen in years.
Gamewatcher - 8.5/10

With the release of HoMM3HD following hot on the heels of Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, it feels like revamped versions of old-school fantasy games are the flavour of the month – and we’re not complaining. As with Avernum, HoMM3’s sheen has not been dulled by the vitiating properties of time; instead, its unique blend of roleplaying and strategy is just as alluring 15 years on.
More information.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

January 31st, 2015, 07:42
i dont see whats to praise about this..
ive played chronicles last year. the graphics was fine. only annoying thing was lack of window mode/bitrate etc
i think this is getting much more than it deserves. at least add some shit to it.. just a little bit of shit )

borcanu

muist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

January 31st, 2015, 09:01
I appreciate re-releases that stay true to the original game.
Just make an old game playable on a modern computer - good enough for me.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

January 31st, 2015, 11:40
The game works (GOG version), there is no need to re-release it …
Also they did not even make the effort of trying to remake the expansions with it. The expansion came with the random map generator which was the most useful feature of the editor allowing countless and countless different maps in a minute of setup.

Strafe

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

January 31st, 2015, 13:49
I said in another thread. Ubi did a halfarsed job here. There is no need to spend $ on this. With 3rd party mod it's better to buy complete edition on GOG.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
+1:

January 31st, 2015, 18:56
Huge fan of the series and especially the third installment, easily my favorite Heroes game.

.. but Ubisoft did a terrible job here, like many have said before me - just get the GoG version.

Cerberus

Daughter of Janus

January 31st, 2015, 23:59
They also did add pixelation to the comparison pictures of the old game…

six

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 1st, 2015, 06:43
10000000000 hours played on this back in the day.

I see no reason why a HD release of this would improve on a game that me and many of my friends had so much fun playing. I will stick with the copy that I own now and most like will always own.

I still like going in and playing a map from time to time….

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

February 2nd, 2015, 14:18
Yeah Heroes 3 was hot-seat king, in it's own way like a game a fantasy chess. My friends and our matches were always discussion topics, an engaging game for sure.
--
The insane King of Orilios, Spazz Maticus.
-Heroes of Might and Magic IV

Embolus

Watchdog

+1:

February 3rd, 2015, 18:26
Totalbiscuit skewers it

then goes on rambling about HD remasters in general, not without some good points

the biggest criticism is that the Steam version does not nclude 2 xpansions, which the cheaper GOG version does

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

February 3rd, 2015, 20:36
It is simply an unneeded cash grab.
--
Your Heavenly Father loves you and wants you to come to repentance

Originally Posted by Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Humanity has risen!

SasqWatch

February 4th, 2015, 10:40
I might have considered it if it had included the expansions. As far as I recall, that was simply not possible (they didn't have access to the code or some such thing).

HoMM3 without Armageddon's Blade and Shadow of Death? No thanks. The latter may not be mandatory, but Armageddon's Blade certainly is.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » HOMM III HD - Short Review Roundup