Witcher 3 - Next-Gen Update might be using some Fan-made Mods

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Kotaku reports that some fan-made mods are likely to be included in The Witcher 3:

The Witcher 3's Next-Gen Update Might Be Using Some Fan-Made Mods

The Witcher 3 is getting a next-gen re-release later this year, and when it does, some of the "visual and technical improvements" it introduces might actually be thanks to the work of fans in the modding community.

Earlier this week Halk Hogan, the creator of the The Witcher 3 HD Reworked project (which swaps out many of the game's original textures with much sharper ones), announced that he had been in talks with CD Projekt Red over the upcoming next-gen release, writing:

Hello my dear friends! It's been a long time since the last video. I know I announced a new HDRP preview in early March but I was silent the whole time. Sorry for that. But in return, I have some good news, and the reasons why I was quiet and why I don't have too much to show. I think the most important news is that I got an official message from CDPR about cooperation. While it's not certain yet, it's very likely that HDRP will be included in the official next generation update. I will inform you what's next. As always, I would like to thank you for all your support and kind words.

[...]
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

Last edited:
Some can argue that CDPR (or the studio responsible) should do all the work for the update.
My opinion is that it is better if some mods get included and their creators get compensated. The gaming community has benefited from mods immensely, and seeing some mods get so successful, the modders will try harder. All win.

This is great. Like Couch said, Halk Hogan did an amazing job and it would be stupid to do the same work twice. If it's cheaper, it's cheaper, I really can't see how that is a bad thing.

Well, the only down side is that it might not be that much different from how I already have it set up. It's kind of lowered my expectations.

Don't really see how you can upgrade the game more then it already is. His textures are already 4K, add some more filters, optimize the code/engine, and that's about it.

Hopefully it turns out nothing like the Skyrim remaster that looked worse. Another example is the Mass Effect remaster it looks both better and worse then the original.

Lets not forget add RTX effects which will jack up the system requirements.

Yes i look forward to mostly the RTX effects and hopefully a good DLSS implementation (Hope its better than cyberpunk's 2077, but i doubt it will be).

The think the lighting and the landscape shaders could be taken up a notch. I always thought it was artistically very good, but I thought the lighting wasn't the best, and looked quite unnatural sometimes. If they implement something like RTX global illumination, I think they could give it quite an impressive lift. And I thought their water shader was rubbish, and could be much improved.

I'm sure lots of people think the graphics are more than sufficient, but if we're looking to improve it, I think there's quite a lot of scope now they can target new console hardware.

Well, the only down side is that it might not be that much different from how I already have it set up. It's kind of lowered my expectations.

Well, I don't really know what you expected. The only big thing that they can implement is ray-tracing and they are doing that. That is THE next-gen thing. Besides, with most of these "next-gen" updates you could go 70-80% there with mods.

We'll see most of the remasters don't radical change the the game unless it's a full remake. Yes consoles are a little more powerful but PC side the shortage is in effect.

So unless you want to pay triple for parts even last gen it's a bad time for PC players..

Well, I don't really know what you expected. The only big thing that they can implement is ray-tracing and they are doing that. That is THE next-gen thing. Besides, with most of these "next-gen" updates you could go 70-80% there with mods.
Probably nothing realistic. When I first heard about it I got oddly excited :). I can't explain it.

Any specific news about the release date?
I saw only sometime in 21.

Back
Top Bottom