Solasta - Released

The camera sucks as far as I can tell. Getting a bit sea sick trying to find the best view for each movement.

NWN had this camera movement where you could alter the tilt, this one doesn't seem to have that. So zooming in also reduces your field of view, rather than zooming in and then tilting upwards to go into a more 3rd person perspective and focus on a forward facing field of view.

Instead of camera panning by moving the mouse to the sides of the screen it wants me to hold down the mouse wheel and move my mouse in the opposite direction to where I want to look.

Then, when I want to go back to my party, I have to click on their portrait, but moving them a few feet and the camera doesn't auto adjust and move along with them without then performing another ritual which I've already forgotten.

My only real complaint so far.

For those trying to decide between fighter and paladin, I will just say there is a paladin sub-class that casts fireball at lvl 9 :)

I always go paladin.

The camera sucks as far as I can tell. Getting a bit sea sick trying to find the best view for each movement.
I agree, the camera can be fairly challenging. I guess it's a consequence of having the height so important. Personally, I "wasd"+QE the camera and it seems to do the job pretty well.
Yeah, it's not easy, and other top-down-view games I've played are not perfect with heights either, because it's hard to decide exactly what the player is looking at with a party scattered on the ground, at different heights.

There's also the shift + mouse scroll to shift height level, it's not really the same as NWN's camera pitch angle, but it helps.

I hope they make the control more configurable too, for now I'm more comfortable with the wasd/qe for panning / rotation too, and the mouse for the height level and other clicky actions.

Damn, today the forums are roasting. :)

I accept and appreciate your tastes, although they so far differ from mine. :cool:

I wish we could see more of that kind of attitude on forums. What a quotable quote!
I applaud you!

I love the paladin class, I've enjoyed it in AD&D since the seventies, yet Pathfinder is going to make me all cautious about playing one any time in the near future. Constantly losing your alignment and having to regain it, simply because there are hardly any lawful good options seems like an inherently poor design.

I love the paladin class, I've enjoyed it in AD&D since the seventies, yet Pathfinder is going to make me all cautious about playing one any time in the near future. Constantly losing your alignment and having to regain it, simply because there are hardly any lawful good options seems like an inherently poor design.
They took a lot of distance from alignment in D&D 5th Edition, so you won't have those problems at all. It's not even present in Solasta. But you'll still be able to smite!

What a motley crew!

XsF8EQx.png

For those trying to decide between fighter and paladin, I will just say there is a paladin sub-class that casts fireball at lvl 9 :)

Blasphemy. Paladins casting fireballs? What is D&D coming to? ;)

Sounds like the camera didn't improve at all from the EA. It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I did find it annoying at times.

Blasphemy. Paladins casting fireballs? What is D&D coming to? ;)
Stop spitting your words foul words about the powers granted by the deities themselves!

Approx 10 hrs in and having fun. For me its proof that solid ruleset is what makes these games great. Without it no amount of eye candy will save the day.

I wish I could skip the intro. It just takes spacetime.

I won't have time to play this much this weekend but I've aleady created two characters.

Wish I could delete the preset ones. They just take space.
I suppose you could delete the physical *.chr files or move them to a backup location, but I haven't tried. They're all in this directory:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Tactical Adventures\Solasta\Characters

EDIT: I tried, they are regenerated. We can't remove them that way :(

Anyway, their stats look like they've been set completely manually or they rolled dice until they got very, very lucky. I reported that as a balance issue but some players are unhappy and prefer to keep them that way, of course, it's much easier.

Last edited:
I get that some people just want to dive straight into the game, but I would never use premade characters in a game like this. Creating your own party is half the fun.

Yeah, I could spend hours looking at the possibilities at character creation. Well, maybe hours in this one, but in Pathfinder it became a serious problem :D

I love the bestiary, the idea of it and how it's implemented. The way this works in Solasta is that you don't know the enemies at first, you need a few encounters to know their stats and get more efficient against them, while in most other games you know everything about enemies even the first time you meet them. And the bestiary shows what you know, it also has a nice 3D animation of the foe.

Very well done!

It should at least give the option to delete premade characters. I do not care how cool they think their premade characters are, I want to play my own and I don't want a bunch of random characters being forced into my party selection taking up space. I'm fine with the characters existing to help new people or those who don't want to bother making their own, but since the game allows you to play your custom party, it should be my choice what characters I want to have in my roster.

I get that some people just want to dive straight into the game, but I would never use premade characters in a game like this. Creating your own party is half the fun.

I have played cRPGs for 40 years and never used a premade party. Even in games like Wizardry, where everything was just numbers and stats.

Back
Top Bottom