The TV Series discussion thread

Same here Red, I've been re-watching the Americans for a few months now, taking a small break now before revisiting series four. This is good, solid television, the stories are good, the only annoying factor is Paige's infatuation with her creepy church-mates, yet that's only a minor kerfuffle. The other shows I'm currently re-watching are Downton Abbey(just finished the fourth series) and Fringe (about to start the fourth). Bosch and Line of Duty are also being watched by me, yet those are new shows, not revisits.

Same here Red, I've been re-watching the Americans for a few months now, taking a small break now before revisiting series four. This is good, solid television, the stories are good, the only annoying factor is Paige's infatuation with her creepy church-mates, yet that's only a minor kerfuffle. The other shows I'm currently re-watching are Downton Abbey(just finished the fourth series) and Fringe (about to start the fourth). Bosch and Line of Duty are also being watched by me, yet those are new shows, not revisits.
The church part didn't bother me too much, I was more annoyed by the relationship forming between Martha and Philip in seasons 1 & 2. I suppose there are various sub-stories that can be bothering viewers depending on their personality, it's funny to see the differences :)

I've meant to try Downton Abbey, haven't come around to watching it yet. But I've watched Bosch, it was a fine series.

Prior to re-watching Downton, I'd also re-viewed Upstairs, Downstairs, which I hadn't seen in uhm....decades. Some of the stories will obviously be dated, yet I still enjoyed watching it. I re-enjoyed Fawlty Towers and Robin of Sherwood at the same time. It made for a solid autumn/winter of telly entertainment!

I quite enjoy the Martha/Phillip relationship, because of all the sheer angst it inspires. I'm still irked by what happened to Gaad, he totally deserved a much better ending than he got, yet I understand why they did it, and can fully appreciate the huge tragedy involved. I get totally chuffed watching Stan too, sometimes you think he's such a moron and then he makes these stellar leaps of logic, lol.

There seems to be a dearth of quality TV series from the providers I use. Covid impact catching up with a lag? Re-watching The X-files (s4 Scully has cancer!), Roswell (s3 - the extra season that the actors did not expect so the story lines are very strange compared to the 1st 2 seasons) and s2 of Spiral (I don't know any French but I can read the subtitles). My guilty pleasure is s3 of BuffytVS.

The new stuff includes Batwoman which seems to be geting better as s2 progresses. The very dark Prodigal Son (s2) and Harrow. The Blacklist is one that fascinates me - what is the relationship between Liz and Red? and the story lines are so crazy but I still watch -pure escapism. The Rookie is my "emotionally uplifting" thing were the good guys usually win. A couple of years ago the "new" list would of been at least twice as many.

Silver lining - get to see some of the older series that I enjoyed in the past.

Anyone watch Jupiter's Legacy? Any good?

I thought it looked like it might be worth checking out, and I was surprised to find that it's already been canceled after 1 season.

Anyone watch Jupiter's Legacy?
In my case, it ain't gonna happen.
Jupiter is a roman empire god (won't go details on stolen culture).
And that is not an italian show.
I was surprised to find that it's already been canceled after 1 season.
Didn't know that, but I am not surprised.

Still watching The Americans, unfortunately with Prime. You've got to love the captions when they speak in Russian (when they're available) :lol:

If only they could spell correctly, it would avoid engrish-like situations; here Nina is taking an oath.

image.png

In my case, it ain't gonna happen.
Jupiter is a roman empire god (won't go details on stolen culture).
And that is not an italian show.

Interesting hangup. If Italians wanted to make a show about, say, Jesse James, I sure wouldn't get all up in arms about it.

f Italians wanted to make a show about, say, Jesse James, I sure wouldn't get all up in arms about it.

I'm pretty sure the Italians did make a few of those movies!

I binge watched Time, a gritty BBC drama with Sean Bean and Stephen Graham. Top quality stuff, IMO - if you like really convincing real-life dramas.

Italian spaghetti westerns are a particular favourite of mine. They took the entire genre in a different direction for a decade or two. And yes, they also influenced television greatly, in addition to feature films.

New series on Netflix, at least in Norway (Europe?): Katla, named after the Icelandic volcano. The setting is than an eruption of said volcano started a year ago, and is still going on. Now people (covered in thick layers of ashes) start appearing, people that have been missing for years and even clones of people. At least it seems like that is the case. I've only seen 2 of 8 episodes, so I don't know what's really happening yet.

What I like about the series, besides the mystery is the scenery. Unlike Alric I prefer things dreary and colourless, and due to the ashes, it's mostly grey in the small town of Vik where the action takes place. And the language. It's and Icelandic series, and the people speak Icelandic. I really like the sound of it. Additonally, the language is closely related to old Norse, which means that although I can't understand most of it, there are words I recognize, such as "øsku" for Norwegian "aske" (English "ashes"). Thank God it's not dubbed.

Some compare it to Dark, which I to some degree can agree with, due to the mystery. However, the series has been criticised for developing the story too slowly, so I can't guarantee that all Darkies will enjoy it as much as I do. Even so, I think it's worth trying at least one episode (40 minutes).

an incarnation of pibbur who now want's to learn a not-programming language.

PS: Trailer: https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2312093721?ref_=tt_pv_vi_aiv_2 DS.

Last edited:
I'm currently bouncing between series four of Fringe and series three of Bosch, two very different shows. With Fringe, I'm amazed at what the creators got away with during this fourth series, the network folks must have been having seizures, realizing that this entire alternate time-line would not bring in many new viewers, because if you'd no idea what had happened in the prior series, you would be completely lost. I for one really enjoy it, as you're forced to recall things that had happened years before, and then see how they'll play out in this current universe.

And Bosch....one minute you're impressed with just how good a detective he can be, and the next you are realizing how damaged this bloke really is. Good and gripping stuff to watch, for sure.

And Bosch….one minute you're impressed with just how good a detective he can be, and the next you are realizing how damaged this bloke really is. Good and gripping stuff to watch, for sure.
Yeah, some character he is. Wow, I only watched the 4 first seasons, I see there are 6 now, and the 7th is apparently released on the 25th according to IMDB.

Ahhh I didn't know that, nice. Well, unless it takes a serious turn for the bad, I'll be watching all the Bosch! I'm also eyeing the third series of Line of Duty to watch, the next interlude I get.

I... I don't know where else to post this, I'm just so confused.

E40lkBYVgAANtsV

I finished re-watching Fringe, and it was glorious, though I will admit series five dropped off a bit for me. I did, however, seriously enjoy how they referenced my favorite episode throughout that final series, White Tulip. For that alone, I'll be less harsh in my thoughts about it. I get what they were attempting to do, though I much prefer the prior four series, as that formula suited me better.

And series four of Americans is going smoothly. Again, simply a stellar show, with a solid cast and no such thing as an unwatchable episode. The ladies have it really rough this year, as we see Nina's final fate, and the down-world spiral that Martha must endure. I think next up for me will be the third series of Man in High Castle, and series four of Bosch.

And series four of Americans is going smoothly. Again, simply a stellar show, with a solid cast and no such thing as an unwatchable episode. The ladies have it really rough this year, as we see Nina's final fate, and the down-world spiral that Martha must endure. I think next up for me will be the third series of Man in High Castle, and series four of Bosch.
The Americans is very good. Currently well into season 5, here. Nina's story is unexpected, and ends brutally, what a strange character. Seeing how Page evolves is really interesting too. There are multiple facets to this show, I'm enjoying every bit of it as much as the first time :)

The Man in the High Castle, I was surprised to see how they managed to make such a (relatively) long series in comparison to the book. They did pretty well IMO.

The plots within the plots within the plots are certainly a big part of the Man in the High Castle. Right now I'm wondering just how far they're going to go with the Hoover character, as he had some.....issues that would not have gone over very well in the Reich. I just watched the first episode of series three and I'm totally hooked again!

Back
Top Bottom