Last game you tried to finish or trying

Witcher 3 bored me to tears because I played it like JDR mentions. I am a completionist, so much so that it kills some types of games for me. I don't only want to win, I want the best outcome in every scenario and will reload and replay whole sections of a game to get my desired result.
I also fear that the game can't keep me motivated if I play only along the main quest and feel that i need to avoid to do too much else.

Interestingly enough I am not the type of completionist you describe. I can live with decisions and their consequences and even dumb decisions. I nearly never reload in a game because I made a wrong decision. I rather keep that in mind for the next playthrough. I only reload if I die or if I feel to be in a dead end (but most of todays games have no real dead ends, most of them allow to win somehow even after making many wrong decisions). May be that was what angered me so much in that situation, where side quests were failed by progressing the main quest. It forced me to reload in a situation, where I do not normally want to reload, but had to. (Since I accept bad results of my own bad decisions but not bad results because of the game designers bad decisions).

@JFarrell71;: Thanks for your detailed response. Everything you say is probably right and I also don't know why the game doesn't resonate with me. I can't explain it better than I did: If a game really grabs me I feel as if I am in the game and in the situation of my avatar. In this game this doesn't work for me for some reason.

May be it is some intangible/irrational disharmony between the game and me. I mean, there are book or films you want to like , but they simply don't grab you. Even if you know they are good and should fit to your taste…

All of this is not even a matter of the game genre. For example in M&M X I feel completely immersed though it has no openworld/sandboxy feeling. But i still feel as if I was there in that landscape, when playing it.

Edit: it is also not a question of lore or atmosphere, because I loved the Witcher 1 and felt very immersed when playing it. Interestingly enough I couldn't get into TW 2. There I had the feeling already in the beginning that it was to twitchy for me (though most people say that about TW 1).

Why? There is at least as much to find in The Witcher 3 as there is in Elex. The "why" is the same for both games… are you saying you don't find anything? I recommend heading for buildings on the map. Whether or not they're marked with a point of interest marker (the ?) or not, those are often places where you can reliably find bespoke content. Running around in the huge forests you're probably not going to find a whole lot.

I can definitely see how someone could find the exploration lacking after playing Elex, and I say that as a huge fan of the Witcher games. There aren't as many random places to find, and they're too spread out. It's also exacerbated by the horrible loot system.

I saw that many people here had problems in D:OS 2. Interestingly enough I played that twice in a row and only lost steam at the beginning of the third replay. In my first playthrough I chose the skeleton guy and that was very interesting and fun to play. In the second playthrough i chose a living human, as far as I remember a mysterious girl, because in my first playthrough there were so many hints, that she had a very special role in the world. I found story and game mechanics very fun, though the replay value is not so big since the story is quite linear all in all.

I paused Pathfinder right at the end of a long dungeon before a boss, and every time I try to pick it up again I find that I've forgotten the combat mechanics and am unable to beat the boss, become demoralized and quit again.

I keep half-heartedly coming back to it because I (now dimly) remember really enjoying the game, although at this point I've pretty much totally forgotten where I was in the plot. But ... it's too long to start again!

Someday.

I paused Pathfinder right at the end of a long dungeon before a boss, and every time I try to pick it up again I find that I've forgotten the combat mechanics and am unable to beat the boss, become demoralized and quit again.

I keep half-heartedly coming back to it because I (now dimly) remember really enjoying the game, although at this point I've pretty much totally forgotten where I was in the plot. But … it's too long to start again!

Someday.
Interesting. I have yet to find access to Pathfinder since this is also a game I want to like (like TW 3).

I hoped that it would be a fun round based/auto pause based game like Baldur's Gate, ToEE or Drakensang, all of which I love.

I tried it twice and in both cases exactly the same thing happened in the first fights:

I chose a spell, started the round by unpausing and - nothing happened. So the game obviously allowed me to choose a spell, which would not work in this situation, but gave me no indication why. I assume the enemy I wanted to use the spell on was too far away. But in such case I had expected that either the game had indicated me the range of my spell (like in TOEE) in advance or had prevented me from choosing it on this enemy at all, like some other games, or that it would make my character run nearer to the enemy and then use the spell (possible needing more than one round, of course). But none of these variants happened, my avatar simply did nothing at all, while the enemy and the companion all did their turn. Other actions like Melee, ranged weapons etc. seemed to work like expected and I could have played on using these but I didn't want to.

I know that I might have looked up the reason for this problem somewhere but I expect that the game indicates me what went wrong instead of simply doing nothing. One could say that I am jaded by today's games but on the other hand the games mentioned above are not that new, and those all clearly prevent or indicate such situations and why a spell failed.

May be I try it again one day, since it got a turn based mode, I believe, and may be that behaves better in that regard.

I keep half-heartedly coming back to it because I (now dimly) remember really enjoying the game, although at this point I've pretty much totally forgotten where I was in the plot. But … it's too long to start again!
There are different ways to come back there. One is to read the journal, starting with the main quest, then the companion and side quests. It usually does it for me, what was I doing when I left?

For the mechanics, you could reload a slightly older game to avoid the pressure of an important opponent to beat. Once things get back in place, come back to where you were. But first, make sure to save the last game with a named save, since there is a limited number of quick saves (it would be a shame to overwrite it) :)

Or switch to turn-based mode for a while, so you can take the time which each character, before going back to real-time with pause.
I chose a spell, started the round by unpausing and - nothing happened. So the game obviously allowed me to choose a spell, which would not work in this situation, but gave me no indication why. I assume the enemy I wanted to use the spell on was too far away. But in such case I had expected that either the game had indicated me the range of my spell (like in TOEE) in advance or had prevented me from choosing it on this enemy at all, like some other games, or that it would make my character run nearer to the enemy and then use the spell (possible needing more than one round, of course). But none of these variants happened, my avatar simply did nothing at all, while the enemy and the companion all did their turn. Other actions like Melee, ranged weapons etc. seemed to work like expected and I could have played on using these but I didn't want to.
The devil is in the details, read carefully the spell, or check in the Core Rulebook if you have it, if not on https://www.d20pfsrd.com/. I had a few misses because the spell only applied to humanoids, for example, wouldn't work on other monsters. Sometimes not all details are shown on the spell tooltip, so I look in the book to make sure.

When a spell doesn't apply to a target, the spell icon under your mouse cursor should be barred, I think. Or the character says something along the lines of "I can't do it".

I assume there was nothing in the logs? Every miss that is roll-related should appear there.

There is an option to show what action characters are preparing, with a little icon over their heads (option to show it when hovering, always, never, and so on). I found that helpful to make sure my casters were actually preparing their spells.

If you don't find out, if some part of the mechanics is not clear, don't hesitate to ask in their forums (or on Discord), there are always people eager to help, and they generally know the rules inside out.

I'd be another one to suggest switching to turn-based combat for Pathfinder. I took a break for over three years before coming back to it, and once I enabled the new combat it was so much better. I'm not too sure what spell you're having issues with, yet I hope you do find a resolution, as the game is well worth finising.

The devil is in the details, read carefully the spell, or check in the Core Rulebook if you have it, if not on https://www.d20pfsrd.com/. I had a few misses because the spell only applied to humanoids, for example, wouldn't work on other monsters. Sometimes not all details are shown on the spell tooltip, so I look in the book to make sure.
Thanks for your advice, I will surely try it again one day.

However, what I will surely not do is reading source rulebooks. I don't care for Pen&Paper games and for their rules. I expect a game to show me the needed feedback without relying on such knowledge. Probably it even does and I was too impatient. On the other hand the same thing happening twice is somehow strange, since normally I am quite fast in understanding game mechanics. I played the Baldur's gates and Icewind Dales or Drakensang without any knowledge of the rules and had no such problems.

But I will try your other bits of advice not quoted here. Thanks again!
@Carnifex;: Thanks to you, too. I agree that trying it turn based is probably best.

@bkrueger; In general, Pathfinder makes a good job to showing the necessary information for any given context. But the rulebook is massive, just don't expect to find everything in the game.

Perhaps it was simply a bug, we can't exclude that.

I'd be another one to suggest switching to turn-based combat for Pathfinder. I took a break for over three years before coming back to it, and once I enabled the new combat it was so much better. I'm not too sure what spell you're having issues with, yet I hope you do find a resolution, as the game is well worth finising.

While I find the turn-based option interesting, I'm a bit fearful that since the game has been designed for rtwp to begin with, a turn based mode would drag and make the game too tedious, too long.

While I find the turn-based option interesting, I'm a bit fearful that since the game has been designed for rtwp to begin with, a turn based mode would drag and make the game too tedious, too long.

Imo, it does. Thankfully, you can switch back and forth at will. It's already a significantly lengthy game as it is.

Oh it definitely does! It's interesting for difficult combats, or to get the hang of it.
I'm using it in WotR when I want to try something new or when I'm not sure how a spell works, for example.

Oh yes, for encounters with simple goblins, wolves, kobolds, etc, by all means keep it on real time w/pause. That's what makes this game so great now, you can flit between the options seamlessly, using what works for you from battle to battle. I do love options, in all things.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition
Finished last month. There was this long & buggy penultimate "Raymond" mission, but got through it this time, after a long pause, since last time it bugged out near the end… The game has its charms. Though my first party was tactical, shooters, an elf mage and they could only gradually wound the enemy, making any combat long and boring with strong enemies. So I began a new game with a cyber enhanced Troll, who could vanquish any enemies in one or two hacks of his magic sword. He made short work of the endgame boss / mid-bosses as well. That I call a neat combat momentum! No more tedious, boring arse combat: all massacres were done swiftly and expertly!

Tho, a real Shadowrun game I consider an XCOM: UFO Defense style game with combat done by a squad of arbitrary size. Large battles - A'la OpenXCOM XPiratez - or The X-Com Files. Now THAT would be the true Shadowrun commando experience, IMO!
Only Tactics Ogre: One Vision and FFT: PSX could do this magic. We badly need new party-based, turn-based games. My God, I still remember how heavenly good Wizardry 8 was! :-oOOooo

Troll melee is the way I roll in that game as well. They absolutely wreck just about everything in sight. And I completely agree about us needing new turn-based, party games sooner rather than later.

I am playing on in the Witcher 3 and getting more and more into it.

Two things helped very much:

1. I follow the main quest and only explore the map as a side effect of. While I still prefer games, where it is the other way around (explore the map and do quests on the way), this is obviously better for this game. Have met the three old hags and the whispering hill and am now heading to the bloody baron.

2. Seems trivial but is a huge improvement for my immersion: I walk through the world instead of riding. Horse riding is horrible and immersion breaking for me, while walking feels natural.

Thanks for the advice to everybody, I feel that I will complete it this time.

2. Seems trivial but is a huge improvement for my immersion: I walk through the world instead of riding. Horse riding is horrible and immersion breaking for me, while walking feels natural.

I also did that for a significant part of my main playthrough. And enjoyed it.

Another thing I did to improve my immersion was disable my radar. I found I was always looking at the radar, and not at the gorgeous world map. So with the radar disabled, I only looked at the world map every so often when I really needed to find out where I was. I also disabled all interest point markers.

Back
Top Bottom