If you are offered one superpower...

If you are offered one superpower, what would it be?

• Super strength

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super speed

• Flight

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Teleportation (transporting oneself from place A to B)

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Time travel

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Telepathy (ability to read thoughts)

• Animal control

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Shapeshifting

• Invisibility

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • X-ray vision

• Total voters
In my post, I forgot to explain why I do not choose telepathy:

People sometimes say the most awful things. Makes me afraid to hear what they are _not_ saying. And it's an intrusion into their privacy.

I also now scratch invisibility from my list. It's nice, but unrestricted shapeshifting makes invisibility kind of redundant. Also, the word has five i's which I find excessive. :p

Flying. I mean...it's just to cool not to pick. Then I would no longer suffer from the vertigo I have now, because falling wouldn't be any issue. Besides, the thought of parachute less skydiving really appeals to me...

Teleportation because I would like to visit places without all the rigmarole of actually doing so. But with the caveat that I would likely turn into a lazy bastard and not walk anywhere.

Invisibility, as long as I freely choose when I turn invisible and when I turn myself visible again.
I.E. nothing like the spell Invisibiliy (found in various incarnations of D&D) where it says "(…) if the target [of Invisibility spell] tries to attack or cast a spell, the spell ends early. "

Can I pick what my avatar is, Thanos? Kill all the fools out there with a flick of my fingers. I would be the greatest environmentalist of all time. :devil:

What about the ability to give myself more superpowers? :)

I know, there are more great superpowers, but a poll can only have 10 options at the most, by design. In hindsight ‘Strength’ and ‘Speed’ would have been left out, and probably ‘X-ray vision’, the ability to see through walls too, to be replaced with ones that are more appealing in real life.

Though it is interesting to see that Time Travel gets most votes, I must say your replies are more fun then the poll. :)
Thanks!

Not time travel for me. I think if I could go about editing reality, I'd have a philosophical crisis and lose my marbles.

I'd go for shapeshifting. I'd enjoy being various creatures in their different environments, and I could use it to infiltrate the world's various rotten organisations, and spoil their party. And if I get fed up with the whole silly business of mankind, I'll just turn into an owl and go and live up a tree somewhere.

Well, to me time travel can as well be a one-way trip into the future, which will definitely be possible or is already possible (cryonics).
I am not convinced about any other form of time travel. But I guess feasibility is not exactly a point when talking about "superpowers".

The more I think on this topic immortality is the best option. You can then live longer to a future time were you could possibly acquire the other powers by tech, or gene editing.

"There can be only one "- Pop culture reference related to Highlander.:meditate:

The more I think on this topic immortality is the best option. You can then live longer to a future time were you could possibly acquire the other powers by tech, or gene editing.

Well, if you are truely immportal there is also no reason not to take part in weird experiments for new superpowers :D

Well...unless one of these transoforms you into a brainless blob for the rest of your immortal life.

"There can be only one "- Pop culture reference related to Highlander.:meditate:

It's not listed here though ;) Immortality is very scary if you really think about it. The world ends, but you still exist in a nothingness and you know it's gonna continue like that, forever, no way out.

Experiencing the future will be utterly depressing, too. The way its looking it's not exactly gonna be a future in the name of science or common sense.

Time travel would be interesting, but only if I could choose where I'd end up, because the Earth is on a rotation and there's an incredibly high chance I'd wind up somewhere I've never been. Going back in time to meet George Washington would be intriguing, but winding up in middle of skirmish in 1776 wouldn't be fun.

You raise an interesting point. Since the Earth revolves around the sun, it would most likely be at a different point in its revolution when you time travel. That would get hard to account for.

Not time travel for me. I think if I could go about editing reality, I'd have a philosophical crisis and lose my marbles.
No problem. Go back to a time in which you did have your marbles and steal them from yourself. Actually, you might then go back another day and steal a second set, just in case you lose them again.

"Steal" may be a bit of a misnomer as that represents an illegal transfer of ownership from one person to another.

Hmmm, I think I better stay away from the time travel. I'm pretty sure I would break the universe. Or at least our legal system.

P.S. Anyone ever read Lem's Star Diaries where Ijon Tichy goes too near a bunch of black holes and temporal copies of himself keep showing up?

P.P.S. Who's voting for invisibility!? If you've got shapeshifting, you get invisibility for free! Just shape shift into a dust mite or some such and you're as good as invisible. I am glad to see nobody picking X-ray Vision - a super power that causes cancer.

Back
Top Bottom